Joe Rogan Awarded BJJ Blackbelt

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's great. Hes been training for a long time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's great. Hes been training for a long time.

15 years to black belt. I'd love to see any vids of him rolling. Anyone know of any?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There are a couple if him sparring. I dint think I've ever seen any competition footage.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats to him! He's been training in the arts since he was a kid. He's been a brown belt (shirt) in 10th Planet for seven or eight years now.

Hats off to Joe.

JiujitsuGeeks

White Belt
Reaction score
I love hearing Joe talk about jiu-jitsu on his podcast. He has some good insights having trained with Bravo and JJ Machado as well as watching the best MMA grapplers up close. Glad to see him get his BB!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did this just seem more sarcastic than intended?

I didn't mean it to be sarcastic. I just had no idea who Joe Rogan is. I'm glad he got promoted, good on him for working hard and earning his promotion.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are a UFC fan, his name is common.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That would explain a lot. I'm not even a television fan. Mostly just watch nature and science shows, plus some cartoons. TV sucks.
Two quick things. First, I picked up a Warner Bros set of classic cartoons on blu-ray. Awesome. My 3 year old has officially been introduced to some of the Bugs Bunny classics like What's Opera, Doc?, The Bunny of Seville, Robin Hood Daffy, and Witch Hazel.

Second, glad to hear it. I was hoping I was reading more into it than was there. The video is pretty good. The language is salty, so bear that in mind if you're at work. But at about 4:00 minutes in, Joe Rogan gives a pretty nice speech about Jiu Jitsu which I agree with completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

JiujitsuGeeks

White Belt
Reaction score
Joe's speech is pretty spot on. Too bad the language is a little blue because I would make it my ringtone!

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
15 years to black belt.

The Gracies say that a black belt takes 7-15 years (starting from white). That's a huge spread of time (between 7 and 15). Rogan as I recall had other MA experience in TKD, though I suspect much of it was not applicable.

Does age play a role? Assuming two people who train equally hard, is the younger guy more likely to progress faster, or the reverse? I'm asking specifically about BJJ, of which I am admittedly pretty ignorant. Rogan is almost 45.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Gracies say that a black belt takes 7-15 years (starting from white). That's a huge spread of time (between 7 and 15). Rogan as I recall had other MA experience in TKD, though I suspect much of it was not applicable.

Does age play a role? Assuming two people who train equally hard, is the younger guy more likely to progress faster, or the reverse? I'm asking specifically about BJJ, of which I am admittedly pretty ignorant. Rogan is almost 45.

Age is irrelevant. It is said a purple belt knows almost all of the main moves of jiu-jitsu and a black belt has not only mastered them but knows how to chain them together with little thought and effort.

I have rolled with several black belts over the years and all were so different. I know some got their black belt in under 10 years while others took longer. The one thing they all had in common was extreme calmness and were all totally humble. A black belt in BJJ is truly something. I wish the other martial arts still had that "feel" for that rank.