Joe Horn in Pasadena, TX, shoots Burglars

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm listening to the radio now, and a LEO is saying that this is what happens when the court system ends up just letting people out before the paperwork is even done.

I for one tend to agree with him. Criminals aren't punished, so ordinary people tend to think that they have to rely on these measures, shooting them themselves!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm..on the fence here. While if they were really burglars, I have no sympathy for them getting shot. Sounds like a neighbor Id like watching my place LOL. And if the guy was trying to detain these guys for the cops and they really did come at him then I think he was justified. The way he spoke to 911 and the "Boom! Your dead!" thing though.... Goes to show just how important details like that can be when it comes to these situations.

BUT. How can a person be really sure that the guys going through the neighbors window are burglars? I saw the cops pull up to a neighbors house and grab up 2 guys a few years ago. Turned out that they were the owners brother and his friend who had permission to be there and pick up some property. The brother forgot his key but knew that the back window was open. The owner was contacted and everybody went their way. What would have happened here if this guy was the neighbor? While this wasnt the case here, its better to watch these guys and tell the cops details, or at the most safely follow them and relay data to the cops.

Reading some more about this situation. Those guys were druggies and burglars, so I think they got what was coming to them. Thats a different issue from if this shooter was right or wrong though. It sounds like his intent was to go out there and shoot these guys, not apprehend them and I dont think thats something society wants to endorse.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm..on the fence here. While if they were really burglars, I have no sympathy for them getting shot. Sounds like a neighbor Id like watching my place LOL. And if the guy was trying to detain these guys for the cops and they really did come at him then I think he was justified. The way he spoke to 911 and the "Boom! Your dead!" thing though.... Goes to show just how important details like that can be when it comes to these situations.

BUT. How can a person be really sure that the guys going through the neighbors window are burglars? I saw the cops pull up to a neighbors house and grab up 2 guys a few years ago. Turned out that they were the owners brother and his friend who had permission to be there and pick up some property. The brother forgot his key but knew that the back window was open. The owner was contacted and everybody went their way. What would have happened here if this guy was the neighbor? While this wasnt the case here, its better to watch these guys and tell the cops details, or at the most safely follow them and relay data to the cops.

Reading some more about this situation. Those guys were druggies and burglars, so I think they got what was coming to them. Thats a different issue from if this shooter was right or wrong though. It sounds like his intent was to go out there and shoot these guys, not apprehend them and I dont think thats something society wants to endorse.

While every fiber in my body tells me to disagree with you, thinking logically, I have to concur with you no matter how my gut says to heck with them. You have brought up a couple of good points.

While I find no problem with crooks being punished in the act, I do have a problem like you obviously with citizens taking their Wyatt Earp style of law and shooting first instead of just hold the suspects (if possible now) for the police or calling the cops.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got serious problems with Joe Horn's choice to ignore the directions of the dispatcher, and go out and confront the burglars. The fact that they were burglars & druggies makes them unsympathetic... but doesn't change the fact that this guy went out and confronted them. I don't think he was justified in either confronting the burglars, or using force against them.

To see part of why, let's make one small change in the scenario. Recently, in furtherance of an investigation, one of my partners and I engaged in a lovely ritual known as a "trash run." In other words... We went by the house of the target in the wee hours of the night, while the trash was at the curb for pickup, and we collected the trash. We weren't in uniform. We were moving quickly and surrepticiously. Let's say this well meaning neighber looked out, saw us, and called 911. Leave the rest of the event pretty much unchanged; the guy ignores the 911 call taker's directions to stay in the house while uniformed officers are coming. He comes out, and confronts us. He points a shotgun at us, and fires. Thing is... we were armed. Now, we've got a gunfight in a bedroom community. Not good under any circumstances. And the real event could have gone down almost the same; the 911 operator said more than once that there were plainclothes officers responding.

I've got no problem with private citizens using lethal force to defend themselves. I'm not in favor of using lethal force to defend property, with a few very narrow exceptions (like nuclear warheads) where the risk involved with that property justifies lethal force. In this case, the Joe Horn defied the directions of the 911 dispatcher, left a position of safety, and aggressively confronted the burglars, killing one of them. Imagine the hue & cry had a responding cop shot in the same circumstances; the cops would be accused of excessive force, and the burglars would be painted as lost choirboys and altar servers. I just can't see where either his actions or the level of force he used were justified. In fact, I truly suspect that a thorough survey of the community and his associates will reveal that he'd made some statements about how he'd handle someone trying to steal from him or his neighbors... and those words'll haunt him.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Irrespective of whether his state allows this type of behavior, Mr Horn should have listened to the first things the dispatcher told him:

A) Stay inside his house.

B) "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over."

This was a needless violent encounter..... never minding the legalisms, what do your arts teach you about those?

The shootees were even dumber. It appears at the actual moment of demise they were coming at Horn on his land. I think it is called natural selection.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for fun, this thread is a discussion of the incident on a law enforcement forum. One caveat -- that site permits some profanity that MT doesn't, and tends to play a little less "genteel."

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Part of me (the part that's disgusted with our F'ed up "justice" system)says the bad guys deserved what they got.

The part of me that doesn't like the idea of going to jail says that he should have stayed in his house. That said, if he was standing in his front yard and they came after him, he could have a case for justified use of force.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about this online. Most folks don't really get the situation.
Here's a link to a few YouTube Vids.

Link One

Link Two

Link Three

Despite what's been said, I found this here:
CNN Link
DAN PATRICK, TEXAS STATE SENATOR (from CNN Transcript): The law in Texas under Penal Code Section 943 definitely gives any citizen the right to protect another person`s property if there`s a certain series of crimes that are taking place. Burglary is one of those crimes... So this citizen had the right, Glenn, to go out and protect his neighbor`s property, which I think all neighbors would appreciate someone protecting our property.

What do you guys think about this? Right or Wrong, & which way do you think it will go?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
CNN LINK

DAN PATRICK, TEXAS STATE SENATOR (from CNN Transcript): The law in Texas under Penal Code Section 943 definitely gives any citizen the right to protect another person`s property if there`s a certain series of crimes that are taking place. Burglary is one of those crimes... So this citizen had the right, Glenn, to go out and protect his neighbor`s property, which I think all neighbors would appreciate someone protecting our property.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's already a thread on this here..... the guy should've stayed in his own house and let the police handle it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Irrespective of whether his state allows this type of behavior, Mr Horn should have listened to the first things the dispatcher told him:

A) Stay inside his house.

B) "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over."

This was a needless violent encounter..... never minding the legalisms, what do your arts teach you about those?

The shootees were even dumber. It appears at the actual moment of demise they were coming at Horn on his land. I think it is called natural selection.

While I think this is a good idea in general. I have experience otherwise. As long as they think they can drive by and knock your mail box over and get away with it they will. (* Cemented a poll into the ground and then build a wood frame around it so guy totaled car when he drunk hit it like he did every Saturday night. Side note before laws about drinking were tough so he got ride home and given ticket for damage to property only. Other than cut he was ok. But our family thought 25 polls and mail boxes were enough. *) The fact that people think they can intimidate others and get away with it bully them into staying in their home in fear. One Neighbor threatened to shoot me if he caught me outside on our property. So, I placed messages in his gas gap, and in his door of his car that he never locked and under his hood and indie his door, and other places. He came apologized and asked me to stop as his wife could not longer sleep in the house, for fear that she did not know if I had been there. I used his fear tactics back and it stopped. I have had neighbors who would call and comnplaign to management about noise. So I did the same I also compalined about the staff who lived in the place and I complained and when they told me to call the police I did. When the police told me the management had to call and not me, I recorded and played for the management. I explained that the letter of my lease was not be up held by them, and they I could leave and take their actions as forcible eviction.

I know that some will say in none of these cases did I shoot someone. But in none of these cases did I admit to having a weapon or not. It does not matter. What matters is the state of mind of the person. The supreme court ruled for sexual harassment that is is not the intent but the impact of the actions. This can and is used for other cases as well. Can one show they were in fear of their life. How does one believe that? If they are in my yard and been there before to the point I have called 911 and still on line with them, what will happen next time? Will I have the chance to call 911? Will 911 respond in time or will they sit on the call (* As they ahve with me before *) and not dispatch an officer? Fear is agreat thing and once it is there, it enters into the mind and grows. It continues to grow until it is an all consuming thing. Some get angry others have the flight response either physically or mentally.

So I respect the law and I respect that people want others to behave well and act civilized, but it does not stop those who choose to act outside of acceptable behaviour and break the laws. It does not stop those who choose to abuse a system and know the laws and not take a weapon into the house but first visit the kitchen and take the knives and places one in each room where he knows where it is. This does two things one confirms the house is empty and also places weapons where he can reach them. But if caught by the police he did not take a weapon into the premise so no intent was there for him and he used a weapon of opportunity for self defense. EXCUSE ME!?! He can claim self defense while breaking into someone else's house? YEP! And so knowing this limits his exposure and increases his odds of being successful in some manner.

But, if the person who wants to break into my house knows, I have weapons all through the house where I know they are and I know how to use them and am willing to use them, then they will look for other easier places to get their stuff. For now they have fear or respect for what could happen to them.

Now that being said, I did walk out of my own house when the ex's BF showed up with pipes to "KILL" me as he stated on the phone to me jsut minutes before. I called 911, and they did not reply. I called again when he showed up, and they told me not to open the house, but I could not stop her from opening the house to him. So, I went out the back. Why? Not because I was defending anything but myself there. I was not worried about property other than myself and not giving her satisfaction of seeing me go to jail over beating up her boyfriend. (* Note: We were still married, I filed as she had the boyfriend and she would not move out. *) But if the guy would have followed me in the back yard and side yard, (* I staid close enough so the cordless phone would still work *) I would have defended myself, but at that point I would still be spending the night in jail and him in the hospital but I could try to show he chased me down. So yes there are stages and guns may not be the first choice, but once fear is in the heart and the mind it has a way of making small things seem really big. That is why I will not comment on the shooting other than to say I can see a possible reason for it. I did not say it was the right reason, but I can put myself in "his" shoes and see how that could happen.

No disrespect meant to the quoted post. It was just quoted as the thought starter. No disrespect to those who have different views, as the great thing about this country is you can have a different view and that is ok. Just please acknowledge that it is ok for me to have one different from you. (* You being the general second person here. *)

Peace

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

I pretty much agree with the views others already stated: the danger of accidentally hitting uniformed or plain clothes cops responding to the burglary; the danger of pellets/slugs (who knew what he had that loaded with) striking innocents in the neighborhood; maybe even hitting the occupants - I have locked my keys in the house more than once, and ended up pulling a second story job on my own house.... bad enough day already, without having Mr Horn shoot me!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's real simple.

By definition, he's not in a real calm place if he's calling a reporting a burglary. On the other hand, the dispatcher is -- and has probably handled similar situations before. In other words, Horn wasn't thinking straight.

He escalated a non-violent situation to lethal violence when he left a position of safety and confronted the burglars. As I've said repeatedly -- he got lucky that they weren't particularly sympathetic. But the heart of it is he disregarded the repeated directions of the 911 operator and he, by his actions, created the violent confrontation. On top of that, I'd argue that he pretty much went out there with the intent to shoot them. Not to use force to defend himself, but to shoot them. "Boom, you're dead." Not "Don't move; I've called the cops!" Not "FREEZE!" He pretty much seems to have intended to execute them if the cops weren't there that instant.

As I've said elsewhere; I don't have a problem with someone defending himself or another person. Had they broken into his house, or even been on his property, or if they'd threatened someone in the street, I'd be much more sympathetic to him. But he went out there, armed with a shotgun, and he created the situation. I'd even give him the benefit of the doubt had he made some sort of direct challenge, instead of "Boom, you're dead" followed by shots a few seconds later. (Could the burglars even hear him?)

I've said it before -- the least you owe your fellow man is to call the cops if you see him being victimized by criminals, whether it's direct assault, or his home being burglarized. And that may be ALL you should do, as well. You should't create greater danger by your actions.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He didn't say "Boom, you're dead!". He said "Move & you're dead!"

He might not have done the smartest thing, in relation to his own continued existence or that of others. He was, however, within his legal rights.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He didn't say "Boom, you're dead!". He said "Move & you're dead!"

He might not have done the smartest thing, in relation to his own continued existence or that of others. He was, however, within his legal rights.
I'll grant that it's not totally clear, but I've listened several times. I hear "boom" more than "move". That's also what a couple of transcriptions have; it's possible that different networks are using the same transcription, I suppose.

Whether or not he was within Texas law is an issue for the prosecutor and grand jury there. It doesn't change the simple fact that he created the confrontation and escalated it, directly contrary to the advice and directions of the 911 operator.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see a discussion about Pasadena, TX on this site :D

I have lived in or around Pasadena since 1992.

I agree, lethal force was not needed in this situation.