Not open for further replies.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
My proof is the results from MMA/NHB competition.

I am sorry but your sample size is much too small. I would need to see more data before I actually would draw a conclusion to this type of comment.

Once again I have ntohing against MMA. They are some of the hardest training atheletes out there.

But that does not mean that anyone who rolls on the ground is just like them? Look at Mr. Whitehead from UFC 2 (TV). He was the onside favorite for teh heavy weight. He trained hard, and was a good captain and motivated people but when it came time, he did not give it all and the other guy who was expected to fold dug deep and give it his all even if he was not the best technically.

Once again Heart not Art.

I still see no proof. Nothing has been provided.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Will the thinking adults please leave the schoolyard!

I would but this is my backyard. ;)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's real... under those rules.

Anything beyond that is a guess, and nothing more.

Rules will always dictate the winner, we can get close to simulating reality, but never do it fully. Competitions are artificial in that the rules are known beforehand, and you can train for them.

Royce Gracie pulling out of the UFC when time limits where introduced is an example, he didn't like the rules.

Why'd they change?

Cause Ken showed a different strategy, draw the match out, make it a low risk battle of endurance and out last the other guy. (Not good entertainment, but playing to the rules) Of course they changed them last minute so his strategy got a draw... under the no time limits who knows.

BJJ seems to have that problem as a growing thing now, I've seen a good number of high level JJ people complaining about it. People are focusing on the rules, creating strategies to win under those rules. Jumping half guard, Trying to win on points, doing stuff that only works because the rules let it.

MMA competition, same thing. Josh Koschek vs Chris Leben - Josh won by playing to the judges. TOok him down, got ahead on points and road it outtill the end for a decision. Under even slightly different rules would it have gone that way? Who knows, I'd bet on Leben though.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
Sheeps point is that the UFC/NHB stuff is "real". That only by "competing" in a "sport" can you be the real deal. That those people training in traditional arts, who don't "compete" or "test" their stuff are somehow inferior and otherwise flawed failures.

He points to an athletes win/loss record as somehow meaning more than who was the better competitor that day. It doesn't. A shiny title belt, wall full of plastic people, and ribbons and awards make for nice conversation. None of it will save your *** in the street. Try tapping out that mugger, you will get stuck, or booted bloody by his friends. Some 15 year old punk with a 22 can put that 250lb UFC Champs *** in a pine box located 6 feet below ground.

Sports are fun, and a fine way to enjoy life. It's just the stupid ones who continue to believe that they are anything else, or a proof of superiority in any other aspect outside their narrow parameter sport functions.

Sport != Real.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
My Bad! Could we get a Bar B Q going then?

I will bring the home made 4 layer dip and the chips. :D ** Seriously I would this is not a snide comment for if I wanted to same something I would say it. **

OP
B

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
People who refusal to test their skills against others while insisting that their skills are the best, are just plain pathetic!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I will bring the home made 4 layer dip and the chips. :D ** Seriously I would this is not a snide comment for if I wanted to same something I would say it. **

mmmmm dippy goodness :D

I brought some Canadian Beer.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
People who refusal to test their skills against others while insisting that their skills are the best, are just plain pathetic!
And people who insist that make believe sports are real are even more so.

Some people do not have anything to prove to others.
That doesn't make them pathetic.

Now, where do you test your stuff at?
What's your win/loss record?
How many times have you competed in the UFC?
Who have you beat? They must be "names" since a nobody who hasn't made his way to the top must also be a wimp as well, and beating wimps doesn't count.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:

I train with weapons. Stick is my game. Many people do not wish to play with me. I use control I will not hit you. I will place it one to two inches from your head. Or I could just use a shoulder as a target for the head? I use real sticks not padded.

Yet most people do not wish to train this way. So do I go around saying they cannot fight? No I do not for some can fight, they train differently. So be it.

I place my statements upon my skills. The problem is that we do not play the same game, so I do not think you or many others would come to an agreement.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
But not quite as pathetic as people who have to put down others to make themselves feel superior.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
Anyway. Everyone knows that wimps do the UFC stuff. Real Men play Hockey!

While I disagree about wimps being in the UFC, I think they are fine people in the UFC and also some people I do not like, but respect their skills.

I do have to say that any sport with TWO BLADES, A STICK and FIGHTING has got to be cool!

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
While I disagree about wimps being in the UFC, I think they are fine people in the UFC and also some people I do not like, but respect their skills.

I do have to say that any sport with TWO BLADES, A STICK and FIGHTING has got to be cool!
Oh, I have alot of respect for the real UFC fighters. Solid competitors, great athletes. It's just the nutrider-wannabes that drive me bats. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions