JKD without Wing Chun?

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also wanted to say you always respect the root to any style and also other style types.

However you can take from any and learn and build your skill sets and employ them when needed.

JKD is this very essence it is a concept for street fighting / self defense against all styles and yet respecting all.

It is not a challenge as to what is the best style.

"As styles separate men but a self awareness of how to improve in the fight and apply various tools in the trade of a fight and express self!"

“Using no way as a way, having no limitation as limitation.” - From the book - Tao of Jeet Kune Do Author - Bruce Lee

I posted here more on this............ *** UFC - THE ART OF THE FIGHT ***

Last edited:

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
LoL yes and no because thread title is - JKD without Wing Chun?

"You can't have a tree without its roots"! ;)

Actually I was referring to the authorship of that book. It's quite an interesting story, and nowhere even close to how it happened in "Dragon: the Bruce Lee story".

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ah well yeah "Hollywood" LoL

Movies are always different from the book because to follow line by line from a book would cost allot of money and some actors also poorly perform or mimic the true character.

Just different people I guess.

Also I see you are a Texan - Wing Tsun Kung Fu how long what rank?

Do you compete or just passion/ hobbie?

Do you maintain good fitness and workout body at gyms?

Do you use the Mook Jong or have one personally and which one if so?

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as the movie, it was more of how the book was created in the biopic movie, as opposed to a movie following a book. Bruce didn't actually write that book, per say.

I've been doing Wing Tsun and JKD since the 90's. I'm certified to teach both Leung Ting Wing Tsun and Jerry Poteet JKD. There's a pretty in depth write up on the Lineage and Instructors page of my website www.TexasWingTsun.com

I LIVE Kung Fu. This is what I do. Competition is in my blood. I train with a couple UFC fighters, and was supposed to actually fight for one of them before my injury.

My Kwoon is actually inside a gym lol. And I have an official UFC octagon in my Kwoon. I used to box, was a champion wrestler, and a power lifter, and did 9.5 months in boot camp (long story) so I tend to keep up with my fitness.

We actually build wooden dummies. Our dummies are spec'd by GM Leung Ting.

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You got that right my friend!

JKD has proven to be a mixed bag of fruit. I've seen, heard and felt a lot. My opinion, Dan Inosanto had it right all along. He deserves a lot more credit than his peers and others give him.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I'm glad both of you fellows are in the same conversation at the moment because I have a question may you both can help with. My daughter is going off to college next year. For nearly a year, I have been working with her on Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I taught her a few standing takedowns if she needs them, but the bulk of what we work on mainly centers on closed guard and guard retention and attacks from bottom guard, assuming that she's gong to need BJJ the most because some creep has her on the ground and trying to sexually assault her and he will probably be in her guard any way. Also I have her concentrating on getting to Rubber Guard which will keep her high on the assailants head and shoulders. From there she'll be able to do omaplata, guillotine and kimura attacks. Anyway, I want her to be in a standup art so maybe she can control distance and possibly stay off the ground. It so happens that there are two places that teach Inosanto Jeet Kune Do (I'm thinking using Jeet Tek as distance control) and there is a Wing Chun club at the University she I going to attend, which will be reasonably priced. I'm leaning towards Jeet Kune Do. Anyway, finally getting to my question, is the learning curve for Jeet Kune Do faster than Wing Chun?

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would say that for your perspective that the learning Curve is generally faster in Jeet Kune Do than Wing Chun. I mean that simply from the perspective that your daughter "May" learn what is needed to be safe faster with Jeet Kune Do vs. Wing Chun. As far as I have seen.... Both take their own time to learn as an art. But generally I have seen JKD schools tend to accelerate the self defense aspect faster. With the loss of forms in JKD you have mainly drilling to train.
Also... if she can train the grappling with people that are larger than herself after she learned the movements/techniques... it will also help her in making the small adjustments that she may need to pull these things off on a larger person. I am a smaller person myself. And for instance... I can omaplata someone my size. But I have tried against big body builder types that are strong. It's harder. And I need to make adjustments. It will also give her a realization on what works... for her... and what she might have to abandon. Btw. I am in the same boat. 16 daughter. And in 2 years will be off to college also. So I teach her JKD.... and how to apply JKD on the ground with the needed skills to move hips and grapple on the ground. But first bite, tear, rip, gauge at every opportunity.

Best wishes

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sifu Harinder Singh says:

“ Internal Martial Arts and Traditional Training in Wing Chun is important to develop root, sensitivity, structure, and internal energy. To truly understand JKD we need to understand the Root, and philosphy behind Wing Chun and Tai Chi.”

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the key to this fathers question was relating to training his daughter. The question of learning curve from Wing Chun vs. JKD and which will bring his daughter up to speed fast. Between Wing Chun and JKD.... I answer his question that "usually" JKD training leads to a quicker ability for someone to defend themselves. I say usually cause I am not going to speak for every teacher or school. If the girl has 6 months to train.... what would be more applicable????
Of course I agree.... exploring and learning roots of an art. Learning other arts in general helps build attributes, skills etc. It's also takes someone using a "********" detector to figure out what will work for them and what will not. What is just adding garbage to their training and what is actually enhancing their skill set. Take a look at something... refine it.... use it or abandon it...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sifu Harinder Singh says:

“ Internal Martial Arts and Traditional Training in Wing Chun is important to develop root, sensitivity, structure, and internal energy. To truly understand JKD we need to understand the Root, and philosphy behind Wing Chun and Tai Chi.”

Speaking as a long time Taijiquan guy who trained Xingyiquan, a bit of Baguazhang, some Wing Chun and a little JKD.... I don't agree with that. JKD's view of root is different than most Taijiquan styles, with the possible exception of Sun style. There is a lot of similarity between Wing Chun and JKD and that is to be expected, but they are not the same. And as far as the 'so called' internal styles (Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua) go, there is a lot more similarity between Xingyi and JKD than there is between Taiji and JKD, and even less between Bagua and JKD IMO

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had messaged Singh about whether WC should be learned before JKD bc the Philly self defense instructors teach JKD and studied under Singh. He said no just go to Philly Self Defense. He essentially said the same thing as NYFIGHTSOURCE said above. FWIW

Latest Discussions