Jkd/wc

F

fist of fury

I'm curious about the WC connection to JKD. Has anyone here as part of thier JKD training learned the first WC form? Is it taught at all? and if it is taught do you learn how to apply any of it?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't speak from experience, but I would have to say that would vary from instructor to instructor. If the school was just a 'JKD' school, then I don't think it would be necessary to train sil lum tao, since the majority of the techniques could probably learned separately.

Now, if the instructor did regular chi sao training, then it may help the students to train SLT. I think it was Hawkins Cheung who said that when asked how he was so good at chi sao, Yip Man began to demonstrate SLT. Makes sense, since tan sao, fook sao, and bong sao are all introduced in that form.

Cthulhu
babbling

OP
F

fist of fury

Thats true I was just wasn't sure if they might've trained in Siu nim tao to give the students the foundation that bruce used to develope his own. I've heard that bruce also incorparated some mantis.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruce borrowed from many Chinese systems. However, I'm fairly sure he didn't teach any of the forms in his classes. He may have demonstrated them, but he didn't teach them.

Cthulhu

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Cthulhu
Bruce borrowed from many Chinese systems. However, I'm fairly sure he didn't teach any of the forms in his classes. He may have demonstrated them, but he didn't teach them.

Cthulhu
Thanks I wasn't too sure about that. I know a friend of mine had talked to a JKD instructor and if I remembered correctly that instructor taught siu nim tau as part of his classes.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by fist of fury

Thanks I wasn't too sure about that. I know a friend of mine had talked to a JKD instructor and if I remembered correctly that instructor taught siu nim tau as part of his classes.

Not knowing the people involved, I can only guess that it was that particular instructor's preference to do so.

I can see how SLT/SNT could be used to teach the basic hand techniques, but it also helps develop centerline awareness (though not sensitivity) and could help with the 'immovable elbow' concept. These things could be taught with other methods, but SLT/SNT has the benefit of having it all in a nice little package.

Cthulhu

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Not knowing the people involved, I can only guess that it was that particular instructor's preference to do so.

I can see how SLT/SNT could be used to teach the basic hand techniques, but it also helps develop centerline awareness (though not sensitivity) and could help with the 'immovable elbow' concept. These things could be taught with other methods, but SLT/SNT has the benefit of having it all in a nice little package.

Cthulhu
Yeah it seemed that's why that particular instructor did teach the form.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't learned any WC forms in JKD, but we do do a lot of pak sao and lop sao, and of course we have the stright blast.