JKD VS BJJ choices choices

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
only if your not fit enough for rolling with whoever's your rolling with

Wasn't the original point of all this that the OP was looking to improve their cardio, indicating that they weren't fit enough?

And honestly, I've seen athletes from other sports get gassed out from a few rounds of Bjj rolling. AKA the infamous "cardio tap".

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't the original point of all this that the OP was looking to improve their cardio, indicating that they weren't fit enough?

And honestly, I've seen athletes from other sports get gassed out from a few rounds of Bjj rolling. AKA the infamous "cardio tap".
I agree with this in general and I completely agree with the point you're making.

The only thing I want to add to this discussion is that in my opinion the term "cardio" is pretty misunderstood and/or misused. What people usually call "cardio" fitness should more accurately be described as metabolically fit for a particular activity or set of activities. Heart health has little to do with it, outside of the fact that if you've got heart disease or are seriously deconditioned across the board, your heart is going to be one of the things that holds you back. But metabolic adaptations to exercise are fairly specific to individual activities and are more related to how effectively your body processes energy, oxygen, cellular waste, etc. than to whether or not your heart is fit.

If someone is a world class marathoner most people would assume that they've got pretty good "cardio" fitness. If very long distance running is all that person does they are very likely to "cardio tap" pretty quickly the first time they seriously roll in BJJ because the metabolic adaptations for running marathons is nothing like the metabolic adaptations needed for grappling. Their heart has (almost) nothing to do with this, so the term "cardio tap" very poorly describes what's going on, though of course everyone knows what you mean by it.

I think this is important because misunderstanding the relationship between the things necessary for endurance in your sport can lead to a lot of wasted and unproductive time spent in training. Endurance is primarily the product of three things, skill at performing an activity, metabolic adaptation to the activity, and strength. When you are skilled at something it takes a lot less work to do it as you know how to be efficient in your movements. Improved metabolic adaptation to exercise results from repeatedly doing an activity for a duration and at an intensity that exceeds your current capacity and as it improves the body becomes much more efficient at doing the activity at a cellular/chemical level. It doesn't translate very well to dissimilar activities (marathons to BJJ for example). Strength is useful in that the stronger you are the less relative muscular effort it takes to achieve the same amount of work.

So, if you get gassed in BJJ more quickly than you like, it's far more efficient to train your "cardio" by rolling or doing things that are very similar in terms of the kind of work than to do something completely different. Once you've achieved a reasonable level of metabolic fitness for BJJ you might find that focusing on strength training or really working on the skills that you're deficient in will have a bigger impact on your endurance, depending on what your weakest link might be at a given time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So basically the school is taught by two different individuals. They have classes 4 days a week starting at 530 ending at 9. It’s basically kids bjj, JKD, JTB which is a class that is Muay Thai blended with JKD, bjj, and Kali. One instructor basically teaches JKD and Kali while the other does the bjj and MT. I’ve actually tried a bjj class there one time. It was pretty cool class. I’m just curious if JKD is legit in it’s self defense capability. I know some folks think Bruce Lee was the grandfather of mma and others say he was overhyped. The problem with taking all the classes is the price for all and my time constraints. Just looking for best bang for my buck.

Jkd taught by a BJJ thai guy might be ok.

Check to see who has the better striking competition results.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if rolling is " excellent cardio" your not fit enough, some one who is fit enough wont find it 3xausting by defintion

No. You physically can't be fit enough for rolling. You can only take advantage of the fitness you have.

It is why combat sports have those little pauses in them.

Latest Discussions