JKD in UFC?

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the change was more to do with the fighters safety then rules restricting arts from entering it came to a point where no-MMA's could no longer defend themselves effectively against someone that had cross trained....just take a look at the old UFC's alot of the fights looked like pub brawls due to fighters not being able to react well against thier oponants art so an almost slug fest would arrupt, year after year single art fighters stopped entering, it was simple evolution ...

Indeed, Odin, I would say that the method of fighting within MMA has evolved, they use extremely effective techniques, but not nearly as effective as some of the techniques that they ban. But it's just a sport now, similar to boxing. They train according to what they are going to face in the ring, and they fight according to the rules of the ring. They conform themselves to the ring's limitations. I just don't see any originality coming from that. And as a practitioner of Jeet Kune Do, I would feel horribly limited fighting in the ring with them. I'm just not a huge fan of weight divisions, championship belts, round times, referees, technique limitations and all that stuff.

gino

White Belt
Reaction score
I think if you dont have control of what your doing,your not a good fighter....or you have never ever used your skills in a real life situtaion...I know what I am doing ..and I know when to throw an eye jab or groin kick,..either when I am losing,your big as hell, I am not in the mood,or you have alot of friends,etc...etc... otherwise I am gonna try some other stuff I have in my arsenal..like the past 20 yrs exp...otherwise join a tai bo class and buy a gun. dude..and stop pretending like you know what your talkin about.... I think either REAL JKD practioners have been black balled from MMA...just like bruce was to the MA world back in the day... or most of you that train JKD are a bunch of cloned sissies....havent figued it out yet,,,but its one or the other..period...JKD has yet to be seen in the UFC PERIOD>>. I have yet to see a front stop kick or a good straight blast,back hand or any kind of trappin at all..... all things perfectly legal,the most common sense thing to do not too mention some of the first things learned in JKD,infact these are the back bones of JKD...but you wont see them...why because most people that train real jkd are cops or some MA teacher...and those guys are the first guys that dont want people to see them get there asses kicked,why because it invovles money,whos gonna come train with a guy that gets squished in the first round.......me I wouldnt start a school unless I have proven myself,but thats me.....

Shawn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You see JKD techniques more and more in the UFC and other MMA events these days. The revolution contines. I'm not enough of a fan to quote the fights/fighters/dates but I have seen a fight ended with a "slant right" (cutting punch across an incoming attact. GSP has proved the lead leg kicks works as well if not better than rear leg kicks (which is a very JKD idea - Savate too). Boxer Blast is becoming common too, which is a variation of the JKD Straight Blast. A Front Stop Kick IS a Teep Kick from Thai Boxing and you see those as well.

gino

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I was wrong...good ****...it actually says..bruce lees jeet kun do..I never thought I would see the day...Not too be ignorant,but I seen that fight,I didnt recognize his style at all,he did win tho and thats good enough.. GPS has improved big time,I agree...and people are starting to use elbows more as well,I do believe one day we are gonna see basically nothing but JF kickboxing in the ufc for standup even if thats not what they call it...and I truly believe they will make elbows illegal once they do...

TPC303

White Belt
Reaction score
I think if you dont have control of what your doing,your not a good fighter....or you have never ever used your skills in a real life situtaion...I know what I am doing ..and I know when to throw an eye jab or groin kick,..either when I am losing,your big as hell, I am not in the mood,or you have alot of friends,etc...etc... otherwise I am gonna try some other stuff I have in my arsenal..like the past 20 yrs exp...otherwise join a tai bo class and buy a gun. dude..and stop pretending like you know what your talkin about.... I think either REAL JKD practioners have been black balled from MMA...just like bruce was to the MA world back in the day... or most of you that train JKD are a bunch of cloned sissies....havent figued it out yet,,,but its one or the other..period...JKD has yet to be seen in the UFC PERIOD>>. I have yet to see a front stop kick or a good straight blast,back hand or any kind of trappin at all..... all things perfectly legal,the most common sense thing to do not too mention some of the first things learned in JKD,infact these are the back bones of JKD...but you wont see them...why because most people that train real jkd are cops or some MA teacher...and those guys are the first guys that dont want people to see them get there asses kicked,why because it invovles money,whos gonna come train with a guy that gets squished in the first round.......me I wouldnt start a school unless I have proven myself,but thats me.....

Your an idiot! Sounds to me like you have some self confidence issues.

gino

White Belt
Reaction score
I am just an idiot with no self confidence...you could be right...
or maybe I am a genius with too much ... who knows...
How can you even train JKD without gettin a lil bit of a swollen head?
training mass attacks .......
definetly helps with self confidence issues... lol

Yo Ben Saunders won the Ultimate series... JKD is up in the UFC!!!
congratulations dude...

JKD is what you make it...!! its about adapting commonsense to your fighting style..
JKD has ALOT of room in the UFC.... If you dont think it does,I have to think you dont understand JKD>
theres alot more to it than eye jabs and groin kicks...
and if you can refrain from headbutts(yes I know its hard)..you can basically use the rest of the tools you can learn from JKD in the UFC...

I wait to see fighters ,,,who can throw a good straightblast,a good tai kick,maybe throw in some dumog and use his elbows to defend strikes...or how about the day we actually see some trapping in the UFC..
or how about a good lead leg kick...
Do you guys see how many fighter leave their lead leg hanging out too far? almost every damn fighter.... almost every fight I see ther fighters knees are within a ft of eachother during standup...
why dont they use the lead leg to strike the knee or do a stop kick? It works awesome for knockin your opponent off balance not too mention it keeps him off of you,from getting to close...barely no energy used,straightline of attack,and can be thrown very repeatedly...
BUT DONT EVER SEE IT>>
THis is "the most commonsense' thing to do ..totally legal...

personally I use my straightblast and lead leg kick with a combination of feints and parry's,until I see my opponent make a mistake,or leave an opening....then trappin,clinch,destruction...
I have noticed since i have started doin this...I dont barely ever get hit anymore,and i usually have way more energy when the fight is over .....

I also agree weight classes suck..!!!!

just my .02

Latest Discussions