JKD in UFC?

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't resist the two three letter acrynyms.

I've noticed no one ever claims any JKD experience on their sheets. Do you think that JKD falls under the same category as the Fu's? Do JKD practitioners avoid going to the octagon?

Why do UFC people not train in JKD?

Do you think someone should take JKD to the octagon?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist the two three letter acrynyms.

I've noticed no one ever claims any JKD experience on their sheets. Do you think that JKD falls under the same category as the Fu's? Do JKD practitioners avoid going to the octagon?

Why do UFC people not train in JKD?

Do you think someone should take JKD to the octagon?

Ah, define "JKD." :D

At one point there were several guys who studied under Inosanto who were doing the MMA thing, Erik Paulson and Ron Balicki both did. The Straight Blast Gym doesn't want to be known as a "JKD school" but that is where they started (hence the name), and they are turning out guys who compete. I can think of others, but I'm not sure that they are doing to JKD you are thinking about, alot of these guys also do Muay Thai or Shootwrestling or BJJ besides whatever JKD lineage they have.

Lamont

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in UFC 5, there was a jeet kune do fighter named Todd Medina. JKD was his primary style.
That was back in April of 1995.

AoG

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's possible that the idea of JKD shys away because MMA is just full contact competing and not actually reality based. Could be something I'm not thinkin of too though.

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So good points thanks I didn't follow the early UFC Stuff.

As for it not being reality based that is true but is closer than most and its hard to find an apponant that is as well trained as you are at that level (of which I am not).

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://ufc.gungfu.com/

I got my info from that above link. That is odd though. I remember the fight and the jkd guy had a logo on his shirt that had the jkd logo with a shark wrapped under it.

One of those sites is wrong. Sherdog is a good site, so it probably was mine that was wrong.

Does anyone have the correct name of the jkd guy in UFC 5?

AoG

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There has been at least one JKD guy who fought in the early UFC day's but the name eludes me. Could have been medina but maybe he changed over.

marysson

White Belt
Reaction score
http://ufc.gungfu.com/

I got my info from that above link. That is odd though. I remember the fight and the jkd guy had a logo on his shirt that had the jkd logo with a shark wrapped under it.

One of those sites is wrong. Sherdog is a good site, so it probably was mine that was wrong.

Does anyone have the correct name of the jkd guy in UFC 5?

AoG

You're not wrong. He listed JKD as his style. I remember...although he changed it later to BJJ.

Zaose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but what do they have to do with the UFC? Have any of the fighters there fought in the UFC?

AoG

They fight in the cage, yes. UFC isn't the ONLY cage fight brand out there, and you just can't walk into the UFC without prior experience - which comes from the lower circuit cage matches. The link that Simplicity sent you to, those guys train and fight in such matches.

So while not UFC fighters, they are on their way and fight in the same type of matches.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
They fight in the cage, yes. UFC isn't the ONLY cage fight brand out there, and you just can't walk into the UFC without prior experience - which comes from the lower circuit cage matches. The link that Simplicity sent you to, those guys train and fight in such matches.

I realize that, I was just trying to keep the thread on topic, which was "JKD in the UFC."

AoG

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I realize that, I was just trying to keep the thread on topic, which was "JKD in the UFC."

AoG

Yeah AoG I'm trying to figure out if say Ninjitsu or JKD which both are full range MA's can stand on their own or at least do a good showing.

Ninjitsu apparently has quite a few people claiming it as their primary style for UFC but no one appears to be using JKD. So either the JKD contingent hasn't had a fighter with the top level skills to get there or there is to much diversity in those arts to allow them to succeed in the ring.

--Infy

The Elemental

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I for one don't really care, why? Because many of the fighters in MMA are mostly both grapplers and strikers and Lee's JKD wasn't all about fancy kung fu moves, it was like a revival of the cross-training philosiphy created many years ago which resulted in the creation of different martial arts. However before Lee's era, martial artists had so much pride in their own "styles" that they looked down on the other's style. I think Bruce Lee also mentioned the importance of Grapple holds, he also used them in his movies, the opening scene of Enter The Dragon for example.

In my opinion, MMA fighters like Fedor and Sakuraba pay respect to Lee's JKD better than the so-called JKD experts and fighters like Tony Valente who only uses fancy kicks and punches in the MMA fight he participated and seriously got his butt kicked.

Note: I heard several people joke that Fedor is the reincarnation of Bruce Lee.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something I wanted to point out is the rules in UFC*

No strikes to the eyes or groin. With Jun Fan / JKD, we typically enter with a high finger jab towards the eyes (even if just a fake) followed by a hook kick to the groin before engaging hands.

So that's already two fouls with a typical entry.

Would kicking the knee be considered "unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent"?

Obviously you can always not do these, as we spar without actually hitting the eyes or groin, but it could be considered a limitation to effectiveness - so I guess time to adapt.

* Here are the fouls
  1. Butting with the head.
  2. Eye gouging of any kind.
  3. Biting.
  4. Hair pulling.
  5. Fish hooking.
  6. Groin attacks of any kind.
  7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. (see Gouging)
  8. Small joint manipulation.
  9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head. (see Rabbit punch)
  10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow. (see Elbow (strike))
  11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
  12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
  13. Grabbing the clavicle.
  14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
  15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
  16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
  17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
  18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. (see piledriver)
  19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
  20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
  21. Spitting at an opponent.
  22. Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
  23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
  24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
  25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
  26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
  27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of a round.
  28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
  29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
  30. Interference by the corner.
  31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Didn't the UFC start out as "No-Holds Barred" or something to that nature? When it first began and many different fighters from different backgrounds and fighting styles participated I was pretty interested in watching, and possibly one day competing, but after a few years it just kind whittled down to a sporty type of game, and now every competitor trains in only a few styles of martial arts. Brazilian Jujutsu, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman Wrestling, and Boxing. The diversity has vanished. It used to be exciting to see a Taekwondo fighter up against a wrestler, or a Boxer versus a Judo expert.

So maybe that's why no JKD artists will join or participate. There are too many dang RULES! Everything is so solidified, and any true JKD guy would shy away. Yet again, maybe it's just me, lol.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't the UFC start out as "No-Holds Barred" or something to that nature? When it first began and many different fighters from different backgrounds and fighting styles participated I was pretty interested in watching, and possibly one day competing, but after a few years it just kind whittled down to a sporty type of game, and now every competitor trains in only a few styles of martial arts. Brazilian Jujutsu, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman Wrestling, and Boxing. The diversity has vanished. It used to be exciting to see a Taekwondo fighter up against a wrestler, or a Boxer versus a Judo expert.

So maybe that's why no JKD artists will join or participate. There are too many dang RULES! Everything is so solidified, and any true JKD guy would shy away. Yet again, maybe it's just me, lol.

I think the change was more to do with the fighters safety then rules restricting arts from entering it came to a point where no-MMA's could no longer defend themselves effectively against someone that had cross trained....just take a look at the old UFC's alot of the fights looked like pub brawls due to fighters not being able to react well against thier oponants art so an almost slug fest would arrupt, year after year single art fighters stopped entering, it was simple evolution ...