Jion vs Ge-Baek vs Koryo

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find it funny and sad that I have to defend Afrikan American culture to white ppl now a days. LOL!
Actually no...you have not defended African-American culture. Do not mix Ebonics and Urban culture with African-American culture. Many black people would and are insulted.

I chose to type in Ebonics wheneva its not a formal settin becuz Im proud of who I am. Not many (if any) Black ppl would post in slang on forms becuz they're uncomfortable or worried how they wud be viewed by white ppl or otha ppl.
I used to manage a local rap group and was a promoter of house parties as well as a part owner of a night club. When I was in that culture speaking with the DJ's or performers, I spoke a certain way because it was acceptable and allowed people to feel more comfortable. When I would talk to other club owners or patrons, I would speak in a professional manner. It had nothing to do with being ashamed of who I was because I was both people.

If someone is ashamed to use Ebonics when they talk (or type as this case may be) in a public forum, then perhaps because they know the perception of ignorance surrounding that form of language. If I want to be taken seriously by my colleges, seniors and juniors, I am not going to be speaking in what most people would consider a low level form of communication.

kh said:
But as for me I could careless. We're not doin academic or scholarly work. Mofos are jus shootin da breeze.
Actually we do academic and scholarly work here as well as shoot the breeze. Perhaps you have not read through all the threads. I would recommend doing that.

Besides if we were talkin face to face and I started speakin in Ebonics non of yall wud dare say to me (or if it was any otha Black person) "Speak correct English." Cuz you know damn well yall get punched in the face (unless they were trained in the ATA LOL). You wud have to be a racist MF to tell a Black person to speak correctly.
I speak it...I'm white. So what? Perhaps you should step outside of the 'hood' and realize that the urban culture which spawned Ebonics has spread to the burbs and rural areas as well. I have told a black man to speak correctly. It was someone I know from the circuit who is from the inner-city and was wanting to know how to break into my line of work in software industry. I told him that he had to quit talking like a hood rat and practice speaking properly if he was to be taken seriously in an interview. I explained to him like I am trying to explain to you now, that there is a time and place for street slang....hmmmm...nope..no punch in the face.

Ok lets look at this. English is not a Romance language but most of the words in English come out of Romance languages. English is consider to be a Germanic language becuz of the sounds and structure of it. Ebonics is its own language. Just becauz English words are used dosent make it a English language. Your butt need to understand relexification to understand why and how Black ppl speak Ebonics. It doesnt mean that the person is ignorant or ignorin the rules of English. The grammar, structure and syntax of Ebonics is not the same as in English but is the same as in many Afikan languages. In many Afrikan languages you dont have a "to be" verb. So when a Black person says "Ayo where dem bammas at," he/she is speakin correct Ebonics and no longer speakin English.

First of all...thank you that was actually a well thought out counter point, which made me look a bit deeper into this. With that said, my point was not about the English being or not being a language, but the fact that there are grammatical rules that are in effect that does make something proper as opposed to slang. It is a popular belief or more to the fact that it is a popular defense that Ebonics is based in African language structure. While one could say that you could also say that it is based in Asian language structure since, there is no "to be" type structure like you pointed out. The best theory I have read on this is that you can trace it back to the slave era in the southern states where they developed a language in order to communicate with each other and the slave owners. This a theory at best. They were calling it the language of the slaves. Again, a language that was based in ignorance of the proper gramatical English use. You see this in many foreigners trying to learn English for the first time. Again this does not make them stupid, it just makes them ignorant of grammar. Don't confuse the two.

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, lets get back to the topic at hand please. Feel free to start a new thread on the use of the English language, if you'd like.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It's a sign of someone who lacks education or the ability to communicate with educated people. Forum rules state "English". Not "Uneducated Ignoramus Gibberish". If you can't be bothered to do that, don't expect much in the way of a positive response. I suppose though you'll issue some threats involving 'popping a cap' and your 'hommies' punctuated by massive profanity when you get smacked down, and you will. More signs of the uneducated knuckle dragger devolution crowd. Enjoy you mofo gangsta you.

$9ba855c3d4gsmileyface_jpg.jpeg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You wud have to be a racist MF to tell a Black person to speak correctly.

View attachment $race card.jpg

All you'd have to be is a person engaging in a conversation on an English language forum.
It's not about race, it's about intelligibility.

As for this statement:

"Well Idk about that.......because in martial arts lifting weights is not a big part of it (not to say they dont do it). So how does one get the strength to break boards, ice and bricks? Forms. Or what we call "walkin the floor". Where you go up and down the floor doin low blocks, high blocks, punches....etc."

I'd have to disagree. Forms are not effective strength builders. They're moderately effective as cardio conditioning, but even for that there are better options.

OP
Kinghercules

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thereafter, the term Ebonics became popularized, though as little more than a synonym for African American Vernacular English, perhaps differing in the emphasis on its claimed African roots and independence from English. The term is linked with the nationally discussed controversy over the decision by the Oakland School Board, which adopted a resolution to teach children "standard American English" through a specific program of respect for students' home language and tutoring in the "code switching" required to use both standard English and Ebonics.[SUP][17][/SUP]While the term is avoided by most linguists,[SUP][18][/SUP] it is used elsewhere (such as on Internet message boards), often for ridiculing AAVE, particularly when this is inaccurately parodied as differing more from Standard American English than it really does.[SUP][19][/SUP] Black American linguist John McWhorter argues that the use of the term does more to hinder black academic achievement than to help it, in that considering AAVE to be a completely different language from English serves only to widen the perceived divide between whites and blacks in America.[SUP][20][/SUP][SUP][Full citation needed] (Wikipedia)[/SUP]

LOL!
Wikipedia & John McWhorter? Seriously?
How about Dr Ernie Smith? Or Dr. Molefi Kete Asante?
Dont pick an uncle Tom negro when you engagin in intellectual warfare with a ProBlack/Pan Afrikanist.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forms are not effective strength builders. They're moderately effective as cardio conditioning, but even for that there are better options.

I agree, forms are skill building exercises; i.e. technique exercises. Form practice certainly can increase your power, but that increase in power does not come from an increase in strength, it comes from an increase in functional skill.

OP
Kinghercules

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually no...you have not defended African-American culture. Do not mix Ebonics and Urban culture with African-American culture. Many black people would and are insulted.
Oh really?
Please explain to me the difference between the two, expert white boy from the UK.

I used to manage a local rap group and was a promoter of house parties as well as a part owner of a night club. When I was in that culture speaking with the DJ's or performers, I spoke a certain way because it was acceptable and allowed people to feel more comfortable. When I would talk to other club owners or patrons, I would speak in a professional manner. It had nothing to do with being ashamed of who I was because I was both people.
Fallin Trees!!!
Pure fallin trees!!!!
You straight lyin now!!
LOL!!!
Come on now. You gonna hit me wit dat crap?
Champ even tho we aint face to face I can tell that you aint been hangin wit Black ppl....let alone manage a rap group.
LOL!!!
(I gotta let me peeps read dis crap)

If someone is ashamed to use Ebonics when they talk (or type as this case may be) in a public forum, then perhaps because they know the perception of ignorance surrounding that form of language. If I want to be taken seriously by my colleges, seniors and juniors, I am not going to be speaking in what most people would consider a low level form of communication.

I speak it...I'm white. So what? Perhaps you should step outside of the 'hood' and realize that the urban culture which spawned Ebonics has spread to the burbs and rural areas as well. I have told a black man to speak correctly. It was someone I know from the circuit who is from the inner-city and was wanting to know how to break into my line of work in software industry. I told him that he had to quit talking like a hood rat and practice speaking properly if he was to be taken seriously in an interview. I explained to him like I am trying to explain to you now, that there is a time and place for street slang....hmmmm...nope..no punch in the face.
Erything else you posted is mute.
Cuz you lied!
LOL!!

First of all...thank you that was actually a well thought out counter point, which made me look a bit deeper into this. With that said, my point was not about the English being or not being a language, but the fact that there are grammatical rules that are in effect that does make something proper as opposed to slang. It is a popular belief or more to the fact that it is a popular defense that Ebonics is based in African language structure. While one could say that you could also say that it is based in Asian language structure since, there is no "to be" type structure like you pointed out. The best theory I have read on this is that you can trace it back to the slave era in the southern states where they developed a language in order to communicate with each other and the slave owners. This a theory at best. They were calling it the language of the slaves. Again, a language that was based in ignorance of the proper gramatical English use. You see this in many foreigners trying to learn English for the first time. Again this does not make them stupid, it just makes them ignorant of grammar. Don't confuse the two.
I would pick thru your argument but I aint gonna do that, for the simple fact that you dont know what you're talkin bout.
And on top of that you lied. I can pull your hoe card.

OP
Kinghercules

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

It's a sign of someone who lacks education or the ability to communicate with educated people. Forum rules state "English". Not "Uneducated Ignoramus Gibberish". If you can't be bothered to do that, don't expect much in the way of a positive response. I suppose though you'll issue some threats involving 'popping a cap' and your 'hommies' punctuated by massive profanity when you get smacked down, and you will. More signs of the uneducated knuckle dragger devolution crowd. Enjoy you mofo gangsta you.

View attachment 16158
Errrr..wrong!
You didnt even try.
You fail!
LOL!!!

OP
Kinghercules

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 16160

All you'd have to be is a person engaging in a conversation on an English language forum.
It's not about race, it's about intelligibility.

As for this statement:

"Well Idk about that.......because in martial arts lifting weights is not a big part of it (not to say they dont do it). So how does one get the strength to break boards, ice and bricks? Forms. Or what we call "walkin the floor". Where you go up and down the floor doin low blocks, high blocks, punches....etc."

I'd have to disagree. Forms are not effective strength builders. They're moderately effective as cardio conditioning, but even for that there are better options.

Well you jus disagree.
A school that doesnt have and uses weights some how is able to get their students to brake bricks and ice.
How does that occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.