Jin Pal Hapkido

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like you are satisfied with your situation. You really can't learn from a video tape. Have you tried a class from Master Thomas Lok?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently training at Master Michael Lok's dojang in Richmond, and I think it's okay. I don't think it matters a lot if Master ML was kicked out, his teaching isn't too bad. The only thing is that he doesn't teach a lot of techniques during class, so you have to figure it out yourself from the videos. But other than that, it's fine. Does anyone else here go to my dojang? I would appreciate some help and feedback.
I'm confused. In my classes, I generally don't teach a lot of techniques in any one class either. Too much, and the student is overwhelmed and won't remember. I teach a few techniques, and work them so that the student can understand them.

I wouldn't want my students running out to videos, and learning more, and teaching other students; there's a reason for what I teach and when, and in what sequence. I don't discourage students from practicing and learning outside of class (and am even open to them bringing something new from outside on occasion) -- but why would you go somewhere that the teacher isn't apparently teaching? Am I misunderstanding something?

_Melody

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, the reason I chose Lok's Hapkido is that the times are flexible. The classes aren't bad, it's just that some of the techniques I have to learn myself. The teacher is teaching, just not everything. As jks9199 said, I think MML is just trying not to overwhelm us with techniques. Some of the white belts are very, very tiny, and some of my fellow yellow belts aren't huge, either. And no, I haven't tried at class at MTL's place because the times don't work for me.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The classes aren't bad, it's just that some of the techniques I have to learn myself.

This should never be the case. or are you trying to learn above your level (i.e.learning blue belt material as a Yellow belt) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the reason I chose Lok's Hapkido is that the times are flexible. The classes aren't bad, it's just that some of the techniques I have to learn myself. The teacher is teaching, just not everything. As jks9199 said, I think MML is just trying not to overwhelm us with techniques. Some of the white belts are very, very tiny, and some of my fellow yellow belts aren't huge, either. And no, I haven't tried at class at MTL's place because the times don't work for me.

Why are you learning techniques by yourself? This seem very strange to me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what got me a bit puzzled, too.

I mean, there's always an extent that you must learn a technique for yourself. The teacher can only show and teach so much, and the student must then practice it, and work with it until they understand and can use the technique and its principles... but the teacher still has to provide the starting point. Not merely point them towards a video player...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I mean, there's always an extent that you must learn a technique for yourself. The teacher can only show and teach so much, and the student must then practice it, and work with it until they understand and can use the technique and its principles... but the teacher still has to provide the starting point. Not merely point them towards a video player...

I can only echo your statement, but if they are happy with it then so be it.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently training at Master Michael Lok's dojang in Richmond, and I think it's okay. I don't think it matters a lot if Master ML was kicked out, his teaching isn't too bad.

Doesn't sound like a glowing review.Can't be too happy.

I'd be very upset if I was paying for this.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Kumbajah said:
Doesn't sound like a glowing review.Can't be too happy..I'd be very upset if I was paying for this.

You gentlemen are not alone...

Last edited:

Tango

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently training at Master Michael Lok's dojang in Richmond, and I think it's okay. I don't think it matters a lot if Master ML was kicked out, his teaching isn't too bad. The only thing is that he doesn't teach a lot of techniques during class, so you have to figure it out yourself from the videos. But other than that, it's fine. Does anyone else here go to my dojang? I would appreciate some help and feedback.

I think I know what she means when Melody says "The only thing is that he doesn't teach a lot of techniques during class, so you have to figure it out yourself from the videos."

I use to go to that school and here are some info. For each belt there are kicking, punching, pattern, flipping / rolling, 6 - 8 one steps and 6 - 8 joint locks. Student must learn all their current techniques in order to test for the next level.

The master there likes to teach kicking and punching or kick targets in groups or in lines in most of the classes.

In my opinion, I think it's the easiest class to teach since all the master has to do is call out the kicks and tell the student to do them. He will either do it once or most likely tell a higher belt to show the class and all he have to do is count.

A few years back the master made video clips on all the one steps, pattern and joint locks for each belt.

After the video clips were made, very little time were spend on one steps and joint locks. The master will show only once or twice in a class or two.

So if you want to really learn the techniques you will have to either ask a higher belt to show you, that is if they remember it correctly or look at the video clips that he made which is on a computer at the school and learn it yourself.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Talk about phoning it in - people actually pay for this?

Alain

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe someone would do this and call it teaching. (refering to Tango's post)

I teach everything that I want my students to learn. That is what it is to be a teacher. I personally have a number of DVDs for sale, but they are not curriculum DVDs, and I don't require any of my students to purchase them. Many want them because I am their teacher, and it gives them a reference for techniques when I am not around, but they get so much more in class... as they should!

Reading about some of the stuff that goes on in the martial art world makes me sad, and makes me feel good that I have had excellent instructors both in the U.S. and my Hapkido instructors in Korea. I just need to ensure that I live up to their standards and be the best teaching I can be. I wish everyone could have such experiences.

Yours in Training,

Alain

www.burrese.com

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The most tragic thing about this is there is a legitimate Jin Pal Hapkido Studio, with an awesome and dedicated teacher right down the road. Ironically this shyster's brother.

http://www.hapkidocanada.com/

FARM BOY

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are watching the videos or learning the videos from loks hapkido you are probably watching me. those videos were made because i wanted to be an assistant instructor and was told that if i made those videos i would be. it was as if i was doing a test. i had no idea he would use me to make the videos. there were two sets made, one with me doing the techniques then one with him doing the techniques on me. I did them first then he did it afterwards because he did not remember most of them. those videos took me a long time to do with some help of fellow students of course. there could be some new videos now but i highly doubt it as he would not make new material. to anyone watching the videos there is a HUGE WARNING as most of the techniques are INCORRECT. it was not till i studied with master THOMAS lok that i got corrected. with techniques if done properly it should not really matter if you are 10 or 100. if any students want to try REAL hapkido with master THOMAS lok then i urge to please come by. the class times are always expanding, sifu can accomodate. TANGO you went to loks before too, do i know you? i hope you are not a person that can not control their punching and hit people in the EYE.

FARM BOY

White Belt
Reaction score
one more thing: learning from a video is never the way to go, videos are meant to refresh your techniques not be the teacher. practice hard, practice often, practice correctly and practice with the right instructor.

littledragon

White Belt
Reaction score
one more thing: learning from a video is never the way to go, videos are meant to refresh your techniques not be the teacher. practice hard, practice often, practice correctly and practice with the right instructor.

I totally agreed with FARM BOY. Practice makes perfect!

Latest Discussions