Japanese Styles

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Hey,guys! I'm trying to make a complete list of Japanese Martial arts styles (Not Substyles).So any styles or forms that you know about would be helpful. Thanks!:)

OP
M

Mon Mon

I would also recomend Budo Taijutsu/ninjutsu

OP
M

Mike Clarke

I hope you've got a good calculator:)

Depending on how far back you're thinking of going [time wise], you'll need to be able to hold a six digit number in your head.

Also many 'styles' were lost and many styles were mixed together to form other 'new' styles.

For example; the first Japanese 'style' of karatedo, Wado-ryu, is a mix of karate, jujitsu, and kenjitsu. The founder, Ohtsuka sensei was already trained in the last two before he began training in karate under Funkoshi sensei. When he split from him he made his own 'style' Wado-ryu, using aspects of both ken-jitsu and ju-jitsu.

You can find a similar story in almost every art. Then, you have the Okinawan styles [if you're going to include them?].

I wish you every success with your endevours.

Mike

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Issinryu, Gojuryu, and Shirunryu.
I know these because Issinryu is made up of the other two.

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by IssinryuKarateGirl
Issinryu, Gojuryu, and Shirunryu.

Two errors:

1. It is Shorin-ryu, not Shirunryu.

2. These are Okinawan arts, not Japanese. True, today Okinawa is part of Japan, but these are based on karate as it was developed on Okinawa prior to that.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This forum is for all Japanese martial arts, including those developed in Okinawa before it was formally incoprated into Japan.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Originally posted by arnisador
This forum is for all Japanese martial arts, including those developed in Okinawa before it was formally incoprated into Japan.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Thank you for clearing this up for the people who don't read the description below the link to the forums. Also, I believe that Issinryu was created after Japan aquired Okinowa.

And I am so sorry that I do not sit at my computer with my Karate Dictionary at my side...I will have to place it there for the future.

OP
P

Pyros

Good points. But usually when talking about Japanese arts, pure Okinawan arts are at least mentioned as separate, not same. Karate has nothing to do with Japan's history.

But as this forum is for all the arts that are from the area of modern Japan, I agree it was my fault to not read the forum description carefully.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pyros
But usually when talking about Japanese arts, pure Okinawan arts are at least mentioned as separate, not same.

I agree, and I always draw the distinction carefully between Okinawan karate and styles developed in Japan on the mainland during the 20th century. I often say to people, "Would you call a Hula dance an American tradition because Hawaii is now part of America, or would you call it Hawaiian?" in order to indicate the relationship. The newer Japanese styles of karate are noticeably different from the Okinawan systems. There's been much discussion of this in the Karate forum.

Karate has nothing to do with Japan's history.

I largely agree, but remember that Japan (and China) had a long history of influence in the Ryukyus even before the deposition of the royal family and exerted a great deal of control for a long time before the end in the lat 1800s. The Ryukyus and Japan had trade, political, and linguistic ties--similarly for China, though the linguistic tie was less (Ryukyu is considered a dialect of Japanese, though Rykuans dispute this). Of course there were cultural influences.

Despite this I agree that it was the Chinese influence that mattered most to karate, and that the Japanese presence didn'te especially spur development of the art--the Okinawans were not attacking samurai.

Latest Discussions