Japanese Jiu Jitsu Forum

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most kanji have at least two pronunciations, being kun'yomi and on'yomi. It comes from the fact that the Japanese written language is basically just copied from the Chinese written language, and applied over their own native words. As a result, the pronunciations are the way the Japanese pronounce the word the character refers to (kun'yomi, essentially "sound reading"), and the way the Japanese thought the Chinese pronounced the word (on'yomi, or "written reading"). To give you an idea, the character for "sword" is 刀, which is pronounced as "katana" in kun'yomi, or "to" in on'yomi. The Chinese pronunciation is "Dao". The other word for sword is 剣, which is pronounced as "tsurugi" in kun'yomi, or "ken" in on'yomi. The Chinese pronounce this character as "Jian". When you compare "To" to "Dao", or "Ken" to "Jian" you can see how that came about.

When it comes to 術"jutsu", though, there is only the one pronunciation given (the Chinese pronunciation is "shu", by the way). So it's always "jutsu", technically speaking. There are a range of words pronounced "jitsu", including 日, which means "sun", and is part of the name of Japan itself (Nippon, where the character has the pronunciation of "nichi"), but most commonly 実, which means "truth".

So, to sum up, 術 = jutsu (practical art, techniques, technical methods); 実 = jitsu (truth, real, actual).

So... Jitsu Jutsu would actually make sense as a name for a MA.
That just made My evening I think.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clear everything up:
Jujutsu is an old, practical, fighting art. A parent to Judo, Aikido, and Hapkido.
Judo is a sport and a way to get in great shape, but is also very useful for self-defense.

That's the caption or description for this forum. Maybe Grasshopper22 meant this thread in the OP, I don't know. But this particular forum is intended for the discussion of the various forms of judo and jujutsu.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To clear everything up:
Jujutsu is an old, practical, fighting art. A parent to Judo, Aikido, and Hapkido.
Judo is a sport and a way to get in great shape, but is also very useful for self-defense.

That's the caption or description for this forum. Maybe Grasshopper22 meant this thread in the OP, I don't know. But this particular forum is intended for the discussion of the various forms of judo and jujutsu.
Exactly My Point. Its like redundantly giving people permission to ask questions.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ha, my dearest J, I do believe Frank was meaning Omotokyo... which, of course, you are far more than aware of...

I'll pick up your chocolate when I go shopping tomorrow... you're coming over to collect it, yeah?

Thanks to both you and Jenna for the correction, vapour lock on the brain(sometimes expressed differently).

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks to both you and Jenna for the correction, vapour lock on the brain(sometimes expressed differently).
Ah no dear Frank, I am only joking with you :D I had sensed you were ribbing the OP and spotted a chance to win a chocolate prize in a quiz hosted by the voices in my head.. :D

In truth, your question is more than understood and an extremely good question to have asked. Personally I feel that Omoto was no natural suitor of a martial discipline and I cannot imagine how such an art would have evolved from such roots though that is not to say it would not have happened. I think for Aikido to have taken upon itself the pacifist mantle would always have required the set of circumstances that comprised the life of O'Sensei. Again that is speculation and but I think the influence of Omoto upon the philosophy that informs Aikikai is, as you correctly suggest, in no doubt. Thank you for asking this question :asian:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So... Jitsu Jutsu would actually make sense as a name for a MA.
That just made My evening I think.
To make things even more confusing, or perhaps as an explanation to the confusion, in the first few years of the 20th Century, when Barton-Wright brought Tani and Uyenishi over, there was a mish mash of accepted romanizations, most commonly either Jui-Jutsu, Jui-Jitsu, Ju-Jutsu, Ju-Jitsu, and even Jiu-Jitsu which seems to have been particularly common at first.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/percy-long...s-of-self-defense/ebook/product-17487939.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/len-lanius/american-jiu-jitsu/ebook/product-18612011.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To make things even more confusing, or perhaps as an explanation to the confusion, in the first few years of the 20th Century, when Barton-Wright brought Tani and Uyenishi over, there was a mish mash of accepted romanizations, most commonly either Jui-Jutsu, Jui-Jitsu, Ju-Jutsu, Ju-Jitsu, and even Jiu-Jitsu which seems to have been particularly common at first.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/percy-long...s-of-self-defense/ebook/product-17487939.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/len-lanius/american-jiu-jitsu/ebook/product-18612011.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Most of those spellings show up in Fairbairn's Scientific Self Defense, obviously no spellcheck in those days!

Latest Discussions