Japanese Jiu Jitsu Forum

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This forum is dedicated to Traditional Japanese Jujutsu (sometimes spelled differently), anyone who either wants to find out more, anyone who is a practitioner, a sensei or anyone who is just interested in the history of the art. Please ask and answer questions, share your thoughts and feelings, your experiences and anything else you like.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This forum is dedicated to Traditional Japanese Jujutsu (sometimes spelled differently), anyone who either wants to find out more, anyone who is a practitioner, a sensei or anyone who is just interested in the history of the art. Please ask and answer questions, share your thoughts and feelings, your experiences and anything else you like.
Did Huang Zongxi have access to the detailed training regimens of the Shaolin and Wudang schools?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which was a larger influence on the overall direction and synthesis of Aikido, Daito-ryu aikijutsu as taught to Ueshiba by Sokaku Takeda, or the oromote religion?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why is it that the Fusen-ryu is given credit for the newaza of Kodokan Judo, even though there was newaza prior to the alleged fusen-ryu battles with the Kodokan, and there is no grappling existent today in Fusen-ryu? On the same note, if Yukio Tani's grandfather and father were both jiu jutsu instructors who happened to know a Fusen-ryu instructor, how come Yukio Tani is now credited with being a Fusen-ryu student, as opposed to the unnamed art of his family?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All of these questions could be great threads my friends.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you a troll, a really (REALLY) bored 13 year old kid, or just a half-bubble off center?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would vote really bored 11 to 14 year old. The actions and responses are consistent with the younger Scouts that I used to work with.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Kid, you've got all of a month training in what is most likely a highly questionable system, and you've been posting here for a few days. What on earth makes you think you can dictate what forums are for, or answer any questions that could be posted here? At your point in all this (provided you stick with us), your focus should be on asking questions and listening to the answers. Purely.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someones full of questions. I cant tell why, or what youre trying to do - I know what Youd say, though.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?6-Jujutsu-Judo

This Forum is dedicated to Jujutsu. If anyone wants or has wanted to ask a question about any form of Jujutsu, be it modern or antiquated, or ancient; Be it Jujutsu, Jiu Jitsu, or any other way shape or form of JJ Systems, They are, and have been, able to ask them there. They dont need an invitation.

Im still trying to be nice :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not still trying to be nice.

Missed this earlier....

If it's a traditional Japanese Jujutsu system and it's spelled in any other way, it's most likely not a traditional system, and most likely not a Japanese one either. The only other spelling is: 柔術

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

The only reason Im not being a bit heavier on it, is because He has yet to say anything especially irritating. But He has been posting alot of unusual questions. Questions He may be asking just to get replies in Threads He makes.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Missed this earlier....

If it's a traditional Japanese Jujutsu system and it's spelled in any other way, it's most likely not a traditional system, and most likely not a Japanese one either. The only other spelling is: 柔術
I just noticed something. Someone else may have already called it, but...

"Traditional Japanese Combat Ju-Jitsu: White Belt"

That doesnt mean whats being taught is bad. It means that our OP may well just be getting in over His head in terms of discussing these things.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just noticed something. Someone else may have already called it, but...

"Traditional Japanese Combat Ju-Jitsu: White Belt"

That doesnt mean whats being taught is bad. It means that our OP may well just be getting in over His head in terms of discussing these things.

Hmm, I know what you're saying, but honestly I think that's the way it's spelled in his system......

Kid, you've got all of a month training in what is most likely a highly questionable system, and you've been posting here for a few days. What on earth makes you think you can dictate what forums are for, or answer any questions that could be posted here? At your point in all this (provided you stick with us), your focus should be on asking questions and listening to the answers. Purely.

I'm not going any further with this right now, though....

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which was a larger influence on the overall direction and synthesis of Aikido, Daito-ryu aikijutsu as taught to Ueshiba by Sokaku Takeda, or the oromote religion?
Ah it is a grammatical trick question, yes? There is no oromote religion, yes.. (Omoto?) Do I get a point? I would take chocolate instead of a point if you have chocolate :). On an Aikido / Judo related note, I would like to ask if Kyuzo Mifune had any Aiki training as I think his "gentle way" is most Aikido-looking in its execution. And on a chocolate related note, if anyone is going to the store, PLEASE buy me a little bar 70%. I will pay you back. Thank you.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, my dearest J, I do believe Frank was meaning Omotokyo... which, of course, you are far more than aware of...

I'll pick up your chocolate when I go shopping tomorrow... you're coming over to collect it, yeah?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cant quite recall - Could it just be an err in Translation, due to the Japanese using, say, one Kanji for multiple English Letters and whatnot?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Romanizations basically phonetic spellings? If so, I'm not really suprised that there's different spellings. Is there kanji that is accepted as "jitsu" and different kanji as "jutsu"?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most kanji have at least two pronunciations, being kun'yomi and on'yomi. It comes from the fact that the Japanese written language is basically just copied from the Chinese written language, and applied over their own native words. As a result, the pronunciations are the way the Japanese pronounce the word the character refers to (kun'yomi, essentially "sound reading"), and the way the Japanese thought the Chinese pronounced the word (on'yomi, or "written reading"). To give you an idea, the character for "sword" is 刀, which is pronounced as "katana" in kun'yomi, or "to" in on'yomi. The Chinese pronunciation is "Dao". The other word for sword is 剣, which is pronounced as "tsurugi" in kun'yomi, or "ken" in on'yomi. The Chinese pronounce this character as "Jian". When you compare "To" to "Dao", or "Ken" to "Jian" you can see how that came about.

When it comes to 術"jutsu", though, there is only the one pronunciation given (the Chinese pronunciation is "shu", by the way). So it's always "jutsu", technically speaking. There are a range of words pronounced "jitsu", including 日, which means "sun", and is part of the name of Japan itself (Nippon, where the character has the pronunciation of "nichi"), but most commonly 実, which means "truth".

So, to sum up, 術 = jutsu (practical art, techniques, technical methods); 実 = jitsu (truth, real, actual).