Jade's secret weapon

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am curious, one thing about WTF Taekwondo that interests me for a long time: why do you use kihap all the time? Plus, kihap done in this video seems wrong to me, it should be done from lower stomach and I think he is just yelling from upper throat? That won't result in nothing except loosing to many air? Or I am wrong?

Thanks

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The kihap is used for all the reasons you've probably heard before (tightening the core muscles, intimidating you're opponent) and there is a certain element of showmanship, as well. Until recently, points were awarded by human judges, so a loud kihap could go a long way towards "selling" a point. I guess with the new scoring system it probably doesn't matter much, but old habits...

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am curious, one thing about WTF Taekwondo that interests me for a long time: why do you use kihap all the time? Plus, kihap done in this video seems wrong to me, it should be done from lower stomach and I think he is just yelling from upper throat? That won't result in nothing except loosing to many air? Or I am wrong?

Thanks

If you get hit when breathing in you get winded. Highest likelihood of being kicked = when kicking. With full blown belly kihaps you lose too much air. With a compromise kihap you can a) control your breathing without thinking about it and b) avoid being winded while c) gaining most of the benefits of a normal kihap.

Good players try to hit you while you're breathing in.

Gnarlie

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul Green was the major reason that Aaron Cook was not selected for the Olympics...he was allot of peoples not so secret weapon....

He is what is wrong with TKD...

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul Green was the major reason that Aaron Cook was not selected for the Olympics...he was allot of peoples not so secret weapon....

He is what is wrong with TKD...

I can't comment to that, I don't think I have all the facts. I don't think media reporting has covered that situation fairly at all.

I do know that he was a great player in his day, was always entertaining to watch, and is still a great kicker. Same goes for Aaron Cooke.

Mr Green must be doing something right, his coachee did very well.

Gnarlie

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really any secret weapon. Simply basic paddle drills that everyone does. Even the paddle sparring as we call it. I would hope that everyone is doing this kind of drilling. But it is always nice to watch good TKD.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really any secret weapon. Simply basic paddle drills that everyone does. Even the paddle sparring as we call it. I would hope that everyone is doing this kind of drilling. But it is always nice to watch good TKD.

Not every one does this kind of fantastic-powerful and quick padle drills. I can say I am very poor at this kind of kicking drills and will never be as good as the persons in the videoclip. Ths drills that shown in the videclip are from people who trains like elite champiosn every day.

I know people who trains in the olimpic taekwondo comitee and they are super fast and acurated and yes they train almost kicking drills with tactics all day long in a daily basis, so tese people are fantastic competition machines.

Manny

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious; if he was on gravel or a similar slippery surface, wouldn't those bunny hops end up with him on his butt? All due respect, that's some mighty fast and fancy kicking. I would not want to get kicked by him.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just curious; if he was on gravel or a similar slippery surface, wouldn't those bunny hops end up with him on his butt? All due respect, that's some mighty fast and fancy kicking. I would not want to get kicked by him.

On gravel, he probably would choose to kick differently. I know I would. This is sport kicking, but it doesn't just work on matting. Adaptability to change is a core principle of Taekwondo. To me, that includes 'oops, I'm on an oily gravel path in the rain, I probably better keep myself grounded while I kick. Or better still, throw this handful of gravel I have just picked up.' That said, I don't know why we'd be sparring on gravel anyway.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On gravel, he probably would choose to kick differently. I know I would. This is sport kicking, but it doesn't just work on matting. Adaptability to change is a core principle of Taekwondo. To me, that includes 'oops, I'm on an oily gravel path in the rain, I probably better keep myself grounded while I kick. Or better still, throw this handful of gravel I have just picked up.' That said, I don't know why we'd be sparring on gravel anyway.

Understood. I was thinking more of a self-defense type application, but to be honest, I have slipped and fallen while trying to kick during competition, both times on slippery carpet in a hotel banquet room where the tournament was being held. I tend to do the 'bunny hop' side kick myself (quite a bit lower and a LOT slower, because I'm old and not very good at these high kicks), where others will step behind themselves before unleashing the kick. I like the bunny hop side kick, but I have noticed that if the floor is slippery, I have had my feet go out from under me. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Understood. I was thinking more of a self-defense type application, but to be honest, I have slipped and fallen while trying to kick during competition, both times on slippery carpet in a hotel banquet room where the tournament was being held. I tend to do the 'bunny hop' side kick myself (quite a bit lower and a LOT slower, because I'm old and not very good at these high kicks), where others will step behind themselves before unleashing the kick. I like the bunny hop side kick, but I have noticed that if the floor is slippery, I have had my feet go out from under me. Thanks for the explanation.

New matting can be kind of slippy too, but if your kicking form is good, your balance and flexibility, with the body weight following forward over the non kicking leg, slipping should not be a problem unless the floor is wet or gravelly as you described.

Leaning back too far with this type of kick is often the cause of slippage....

Gnarlie

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul has very "busy" feet-when he lands kicks he bounces his feet around more than I like to see with my students. An observation, because obviously it works for him and his athletes.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul Green Black listed Aaron Cook!

There is no reasonable explanation for why the number 1 fighter in the world did not go to Olympics...

He beat the Gold Medalist only months before!

Aaron is in the USA right now! I hope he stays!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, he's pretty quick. That's definitely an athletic dude.

But I know I'm spending too much time thinking about the logistical part of starting my school when I'm more focused on why they covered the wall with puzzle mats (I mean, those things aren't cheap) than on the speed of the kicks, lol.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Sure. It's just that most people aren't that fast!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. It's just that most people aren't that fast!
That guy was not that fast. Many of the top national level athletes are even faster than what was shown in that video. I think every dojang has a few guys that fast or faster. Well at least the dojangs that I have been to. We cross train with athletes like T.J. Curry and his team. Master Givans and his team. Manila TKD, and Team Garr with James Howe. These guys all have guys that make that guy look slow. Sorry but not really impressed. His taining methods are spot on and very good for speed and timing but he himself is about average for Olympic Style practioners.