Jacob competing at USKA Nationals

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That footwork would transfer well to MMA, and you can just tell he wants to punch more than kick.

Put him in MMA already :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so enjoy watching Jacob compete. As for that Bo work....I'm starting to enjoy that more than any other division he competes in. I'm even a little jealous of his talent to tell you the truth. Awesome young man.

Oh, and thanks for allowing me to watch that without the God awful noise of -
(I had to delete the rest. It was not foul language, nor against any rules, it was just plain truth and God awfully accurate)

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That footwork would transfer well to MMA, and you can just tell he wants to punch more than kick.

Its been fun watching his footwork evolve. His Sensei puts a lot of emphasis on footwork but a lot of it came from him watching Dominick Cruz combining what his sensei teaches and how Cruz moves.

Put him in MMA already :p

My wife would kill me. ;) In the future if he decides to get into MMA that will be fine but we will let him decide on that after highschool. Right now with karate, and school sports his plate is pretty full. He has become good friends with a Pro MMArtist who has a training facility a few hours away that we might let him go train at for a week this summer.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I so enjoy watching Jacob compete.

Thanks... that means alot to him and me. He has grown up hearing stories about Joe Lewis and you guys from that era competing back in the good ole days.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Second place in kata? To quote Reese Bobby and Ricky Bobby:
If you’re not first, you’re last!

Congratulations to your son. I didn’t get a chance to watch it yet, but I will later on.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second place in kata? To quote Reese Bobby and Ricky Bobby:
If you’re not first, you’re last!

I know, right......knew I should have named him Walker or Texas Ranger....:D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know, right......knew I should have named him Walker or Texas Ranger....:D
You can only do that if you’re contractually obligated to mention Powerade in every prayer and make every dinner prayer your b!tch

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm torn on something. There seem to be a few times where he lets the other guy have the initiative with sloppy/not fully landing strikes, while he lands a clean one and gets the point. It's done enough times that I think it's a tactic he's using, and is working well for him.

Now where I'm torn: If he plans to transition to full contact/not point fighting, this would normally be a bad tactic that could cause issues. But watching him, it could turn him into one helluva counter-fighter, and I can't tell which way it'll go.

Either way, I enjoy his fights 10 times more than any other TKD fights I've seen recently.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm torn on something. There seem to be a few times where he lets the other guy have the initiative with sloppy/not fully landing strikes, while he lands a clean one and gets the point. It's done enough times that I think it's a tactic he's using, and is working well for him.

Now where I'm torn: If he plans to transition to full contact/not point fighting, this would normally be a bad tactic that could cause issues. But watching him, it could turn him into one helluva counter-fighter, and I can't tell which way it'll go.

Either way, I enjoy his fights 10 times more than any other TKD fights I've seen recently.

I think alot of it is just confidence and feeling in complete control....but definitely will keep a watch on that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I see from watching Jacob's videos is a young man with supreme confidence in what he's doing. I also see someone who's fighting SPECIFIC to the rule set his competitions are using. I can tell by the way he quickly scans the judges calling, or not calling, a point. And how when he scores and the judges don't see it he will almost always reposition himself the next time he throws it so the center ref sees it plainly.

I think if he goes into any other arena of competition he will take all his skill sets with him.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Duuuude.... way to go Jacob! Again, just love his footwork and lack of hesitation.

Handled that bo like craaazy too, wow... And really cool version of Kanku Dai, loved the intensity and purpose he put in it. He's inspired me ;)

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Duuuude.... way to go Jacob! Again, just love his footwork and lack of hesitation.

Handled that bo like craaazy too, wow... And really cool version of Kanku Dai, loved the intensity and purpose he put in it. He's inspired me ;)

Thanks. He really enjoys the bo and actually created that Bo form himself (he took parts of 3 other bo forms and combined them). This summer he wants to start working more with Kamas and putting together a Kama Version of his Kanku Dai.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I so enjoy watching Jacob compete. As for that Bo work....I'm starting to enjoy that more than any other division he competes in. I'm even a little jealous of his talent to tell you the truth. Awesome young man.

Oh, and thanks for allowing me to watch that without the God awful noise of -
(I had to delete the rest. It was not foul language, nor against any rules, it was just plain truth and God awfully accurate)
I'm with you on this. I really like watching his staff work. I'm not even jealous - I'll never get close enough to that to get jealous of it.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I really like watching his staff work. I'm not even jealous - I'll never get close enough to that to get jealous of it.

Now if only he can learn how to use a broom....;)

Latest Discussions