Jab/cross vs. left/right hooks

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school's founder was a professor in Kinesiology and they did studies on a lot of these techniques. Straight punches were faster.

Also it was pretty interesting at how much power is generated in the last couple inches of a straight punch when you compare full extension verses stopping punch just before full extension.
So did he test every single person on the planet did he? Because if not the tests unreliable there's a number of factors that can influence it. The skill of the person how tired that person is some people do certain punches better than others

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
According to Google:

Keith Liddell is a boxer, mathematician and author. He holds the record for the "fastest punch" in the Guinness World Records. The punch was registered at 45 miles per hour.

I'm not sure how true that is (I've heard tales of faster punches) but that's pretty impressive. I think I can punch faster, maybe, but probably not with the same power as Keith Liddell.

Assuming both A and B are boxing only (with gloves, no kicking or grappling), and both A and B are the same size exactly, same height, same weight, same reach, and both boxers have trained for X amount of time, then the lead straight jab is the fastest punch (and least powerful). The rear straight cross has the same delivery speed as a lead wide hook, but is more powerful than a jab and just as powerful as a hook. The rear wide hook is the most powerful (and least fastest). The more compact the hooks, the faster and more powerful they become. So again, the only thing it comes down to is body movement. Whoever moves around more will have the advantage.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So did he test every single person on the planet did he?

Yeah thats what he did. Took a little time but he managed it.

I don't think it was a really fair test, though. I remember when they did me. They showed up at 3:00 am and said "We're testing every person on the planet so we don't have much time. Hit this pad with a jab, a backfist, a straight right, and a hook. You have 3 seconds. Go!" I was half-asleep and kind of confused as to what was going on, so I don't think I really gave my best effort. They really should have gotten more researchers working on the project so they could take more time which each test subject. I would have told them that, but they were already heading to my neighbor's house.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus I don't think my neighbor even knew how to do those 4 punches. She just sort of whacked at them with her cane a few times.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it was a really fair test, though. I remember when they did me. They showed up at 3:00 am and said "We're testing every person on the planet so we don't have much time. Hit this pad with a jab, a backfist, a straight right, and a hook. You have 3 seconds. Go!" I was half-asleep and kind of confused as to what was going on, so I don't think I really gave my best effort. They really should have gotten more researchers working on the project so they could take more time which each test subject. I would have told them that, but they were already heading to my neighbor's house.

Well Tony, they recognized that you possess super human abilities and skills and would skew the test. They extrapolated that you would be closer to normal human levels at 3 a.m. when you are half asleep.

And your neighbor is a Kung fu master but she is in the Witness Protection Program and keeps it secret. Don't sleep on her skills.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They haven't got here yet, but when thy do I plan on wooing them with Italian food. And it's not really bribery if it's Italian food.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
then the lead straight jab is the fastest punch (and least powerful). The rear straight cross has the same delivery speed as a lead wide hook, but is more powerful than a jab and just as powerful as a hook. The rear wide hook is the most powerful (and least fastest). The more compact the hooks, the faster and more powerful they become. So again, the only thing it comes down to is body movement. Whoever moves around more will have the advantage.

Are these your assumptions or Liddel's?

What are these assumptions based on?

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are these your assumptions or Liddel's?

What are these assumptions based on?

Those are my own assumptions, but they are based on the rest of the post you quoted, so it's kind of important that you don't leave that out. Someone else who reads your post might think that's all I said in that quote, but to really understand where those assumptions are coming from, it's important to note that it's all statistically based on certain variables, which were never quoted. Without said variables, none of these assumptions are probably true. If you change just one single variable, it changes everything.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to Google:

Keith Liddell is a boxer, mathematician and author. He holds the record for the "fastest punch" in the Guinness World Records. The punch was registered at 45 miles per hour.

I'm not sure how true that is (I've heard tales of faster punches) but that's pretty impressive. I think I can punch faster, maybe, but probably not with the same power as Keith Liddell.

Assuming both A and B are boxing only (with gloves, no kicking or grappling), and both A and B are the same size exactly, same height, same weight, same reach, and both boxers have trained for X amount of time, then the lead straight jab is the fastest punch (and least powerful). The rear straight cross has the same delivery speed as a lead wide hook, but is more powerful than a jab and just as powerful as a hook. The rear wide hook is the most powerful (and least fastest). The more compact the hooks, the faster and more powerful they become. So again, the only thing it comes down to is body movement. Whoever moves around more will have the advantage.

Ok, how does Keith Liddell throwing a fast punch mean:

The rear straight cross has the same delivery speed as a lead wide hook,

just as powerful as a hook

rear wide hook is the most powerful (and least fastest)

The more compact the hooks, the faster and more powerful they become

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, how does Keith Liddell throwing a fast punch mean:

The rear straight cross has the same delivery speed as a lead wide hook,

just as powerful as a hook

rear wide hook is the most powerful (and least fastest)

The more compact the hooks, the faster and more powerful they become

... It doesn't lol

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to Google:

What Mr Liddell does, at least what I've seen of him, isn't really punching.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have tried to find this clip for some time. This is a good example that

left/right hooks > jab/cross.

You can clearly see that when the short guy used right jab, the tall guy used left hook. That left hook not only can stop his opponent's jab, it also can hit on his opponent's head at the same time.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are my own assumptions, but they are based on the rest of the post you quoted, so it's kind of important that you don't leave that out. Someone else who reads your post might think that's all I said in that quote, but to really understand where those assumptions are coming from, it's important to note that it's all statistically based on certain variables, which were never quoted. Without said variables, none of these assumptions are probably true. If you change just one single variable, it changes everything.

Nah... they're true.

My jab is my fastest punch, followed by my rear straight, then followed by my lead hook then finishing with my rear hook. Makes perfect sense.

I timed it all and everything.

Russian coaches were there. I had my super-suave spiked bleach blonde do, and there was this uber awesome Russian chick there that said "I'll make you famous." It was great.

When I woke up it was all still true, though the hair was gone.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have tried to find this clip for some time. This is a good example that

left/right hooks > jab/cross.

You can clearly see that when the short guy used right jab, the tall guy used left hook. That left hook not only can stop his opponent's jab, it also can hit on his opponent's head at the same time.

The variables have changed dramatically. One guy is taller. The other guy is shorter. The taller guy has a longer reach. The shorter guy is having to step in closer to get within punching range. In short, this video didn't prove anything like you were saying. Their punches weren't being delivered from the same distance at the same time. By changing the variables in the scenerio, we've now changed the entire end result of our hypothesis. Because the smaller guy had to step in (telegraphing his motions) to throw a jab, the taller guy was able to read his intentions and intercept with a hook punch. If you watch carefully, he's throwing his hooks before the other guy throws his jabs, so he's landing them faster like you said. But like I was saying before any of that, if you start changing the variables, you start changing the outcome. No punch is greater than another. It's a stupid argument.

Latest Discussions