Jab/cross vs. left/right hooks

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A

Hand speed the same----A's punches are straight line and travel shorter distance. Also A's travel inside Bs punches so A will also be able to defend Bs punches more efficiently.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When A uses jab and cross on B, if B uses left and right hooks on A, who will have more advantage?

Your thought?
If it was as simple, simultaneous, same speed... would say "jab and cross" because longer distance. "Left and right hooks" are more powerful, but need to cross "jab and cross" distance first. My thought. :)

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When A uses jab and cross on B, if B uses left and right hooks on A, who will have more advantage?

Your thought?

In my opinion, the question is flawed. It doesn't matter if you use straight punches or curved punches. It's all in the footwork and how you move your body. (I'm assuming they're just boxing). And do you classify the uppercut as a straight punch or a curved punch?

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also depends on the range. If you're at a longer range the jab cross will land cleaner but if you're in close the hooks will be able to land cleaner

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Your thought?
Hooks leave you exposed, but right crosses usually require a step for alignment; so, it can be slower, for that reason. I always use the cross; because, we don't do that crazy hook stuff, but it is a real move that people use, and it hurts. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The short answer is straight punches will beat round punches.

But there is a lot of wriggle room with that theory.

If you both stand there like rockem sockem robots straight punches are faster and protect you a bit more. We tell beginner bocers to punch straight and the one who punches straight more generally wins.

But if you cut great angles then you can throw hook punches a bit better. As they take advantage of those angles a bit better. That is generally more of an advanced idea.

So if you are maywhether throw all the hooks you want.

kostya tszyu will be much straighter.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A could use a bit of head movement and just smash the life out of B's head with his hooks. I've seen silly Wing chunners try to use their "centre whine theory" to just try to use a chain punch vs hooks in full contact tournaments without blocking it or evaiding and just get KTFO at least 10 times. Straight punches are great but hooks have more power. In the end tho you can cut corners and evade and strike with both punches.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Timing, Range, Angles, ability to accurately read the opponent, use of setups, start speed or quickness, the differences in reach, and other factors all make it not so simple answer. Because of angles and body movement a punch deliver as a hook in relation to the puncher can be a straight punch in relation to the point of being thrown and the actual point of impact.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A could use a bit of head movement and just smash the life out of B's head with his hooks. I've seen silly Wing chunners try to use their "centre whine theory" to just try to use a chain punch vs hooks in full contact tournaments without blocking it or evaiding and just get KTFO at least 10 times. Straight punches are great but hooks have more power. In the end tho you can cut corners and evade and strike with both punches.
I doubt this, but it is food for thought.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Are those guys getting knocked out due to the hook being generally better technique or due to the skill of the fighter? I would guess you are seeing a difference in skill. And there are plenty of instances of a hooker :) getting dropped by a straight right hand to the chin.

When all things are equal again I see the straight punches being more effective if you have to choose between the two.

With jabs and straight rights, I can still maintain a lot of my defense against hooks using my non punching hand and my shoulders along with rolling with the hooks.

To throw hooks I have to open my defense up to straight punches.

What makes the hook great is setting up your opponent with straight punches or body shots and then catching him with the hook he doesn't see coming.

Also, hooks aren't more powerful. A proper straight right hand generates more force.

In the end, it's putting it all together that makes it the sweet science.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, hooks aren't more powerful. A proper straight right hand generates more force.
I was one that said hooks are more powerful. And you may be right. I never measured, neither remember documented measures of the power/force/impulse of crosses and hooks. Just felt them. Straights made blood on my mouth. Hooks made concussions...

It was a simplification of language and I mean hooks (+haymakers) cause more KOs than straight punches. It is statistics, yet another simplification. KOs are easier when head is hitted from the side, making the brain rotate inside the skull, which is done more often with hooks. After all, often we just say 'hooks are more powerful'. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love straight right (or left) hands, I love hooks. But the real love of my life is the uppercut.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was one that said hooks are more powerful. And you may be right. I never measured, neither remember documented measures of the power/force/impulse of crosses and hooks. Just felt them. Straights made blood on my mouth. Hooks made concussions...

It was a simplification of language and I mean hooks (+haymakers) cause more KOs than straight punches. It is statistics, yet another simplification. KOs are easier when head is hitted from the side, making the brain rotate inside the skull, which is done more often with hooks. After all, often we just say 'hooks are more powerful'. :)
Not everyone can throw a monster straight right. Hooks would be easier to master.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a simplification of language and I mean hooks (+haymakers) cause more KOs than straight punches. It is statistics, yet another simplification.

You are right...hooks do generate a high number of KOs but again they are helped by being set up so they are more effective. Without the setup, it would lose a lot of its effectiveness. It's that hook you don't expect or see that more times or not turns the lights out.

KOs are easier when head is hitted from the side, making the brain rotate inside the skull, which is done more often with hooks

Brain rotating inside the skull....wouldn't that be fatal?;)

Just kidding. I get what you are saying.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love straight right (or left) hands, I love hooks. But the real love of my life is the uppercut.
Discussing power... I have a vague idea that the uppercuts can be more powerful than straights and hooks because there is direct support from the ground (not sure it is clear that way).

Someone know the real figures? Or the sources? :)

Latest Discussions