Ive Given Up the Filthy Habit!!!!!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually when I quit smoking being in a bar in general was bad, since i don't drink smoking was the vice I enjoyed while out and about

C

c2kenpo

Some have already said it yes alchohol is a hard page turning for a smoker who is quitting but

DONT STOP NOW>>>>>> 3 Smokes??? NOTHING?... not a failure a hiccup.

3 smokes in a month there are people that would kill to have that kind of control. You have it, don't beat yourself up on this all the times you did it on your own and this was a simple step back but not a failure I see it as a success in WHAT NOT TO DO.

Keep going trust me, If i could change a lifestyle from the 80's hairbands of S / D and Rock n' Roll to one of positve movemnt you can quit smoking.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. I will keep giving up. Thank goodness for second chances. I now realise that I cannot drink alchol for a long long while. I guess I just got too secure in the fact that I could handle it though. But I will not stop trying. I do know that that first puff I had was down right disgusting and I had the wickedist head spin, but unfortunatley I just kept on a puffing!!!

Just a note though, our bars are now non smoking bars. It is illegal to smoke in a bar or in any building for that fact. If you wanna go for a smoke you have to be at least 6 meters away. Needless to say there are a few bars in town that have garden bars. But since I wont be going out drinking it wont be an issue!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stopped drinking almost 13 years ago.

I stopped smoking almost 10 years ago.

I realize that I want to be 'intoxicated' with alcohol -- and its fairly easy to stay away for me. There is no such thing as a social drink.

However, I miss my cigarettes every single day. It was always my best friend, always there when I needed him, always supportive, and always helpful. I never want to go back to my habit - 2 packs a day. But I miss it every day.

Remember, the physical addiction goes away in a very short time; 48 to 72 hours and its gone. I remember standing in a river fishing on a Sunday morning, during one of my attempts to quit. The water tempurature was in the 55 degree (fahrenheit) rage (cold) and I was sweating profusely with nicotine withdrawl. --- two days into not smoking.

After that first weekend ... it is all a mental challenge. Can you keep your guard up enough to not take the first drag? There's the challenge. For me, the cigarette's won every battle. If I let my guard down, I was back in the habit quickly.

My chiropractor told me once I should stop drinking coffee (I drink about 8 cups a day). Three days after going to 1 cup of coffee a day, I was smoking 2 packs a day - after almost a year of not smoking. It took two years after that stupid chiropractor's suggestion to stop for the latest time (notice I didn't say last time ... I know it would be too easy to pick up again).

So, much like Alcoholic Anonymous .... you must stay alert to avoid the first cigarette (it's the first drink that gets you drunk).

Don't worry about 'three' ... just don't light up your next smoke!

Good Luck

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
hehe...ya just needed a good Hyungs class instead.

Oh well **** happens...at least this time you will be even more determined, and dont forget how well you have done so far, one stumble does not make you a failure, a show of true success is in how quickly you get up, dust yourself off and start again.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive started smoking again! I started off with the best intentions, but I caved! Now I'm sure Im smoking more than what I used to before I gave up! Thanks to all those supportive posts. I will try again to give up, just need to syke myself up again to do it. At least I know Ive done it once and I can do it again!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raewyn said:
Ive started smoking again! I started off with the best intentions, but I caved! Now I'm sure Im smoking more than what I used to before I gave up! Thanks to all those supportive posts. I will try again to give up, just need to syke myself up again to do it. At least I know Ive done it once and I can do it again!

It really is a hard battle if you've been smoking for some time. Don't give up trying to quit - most people I know who quit requited 3-4 efforts before they were successful. I quit the first time only because it was a short term habit that I picked up mainly for social reasons. Easily aquired, easily discarded. Best of luck. We want you to succeed.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raewyn said:
Oh Raewyn--I know how you feel. Hang in there, & if/when you're ready to quit again, you'll know. We won't judge you. Trust me, I wasn't successful until the 3rd time.

Hugs,
Gin-Gin

Latest Discussions