I've been gripped...

maine mama

White Belt
Reaction score
Watched my son study Japanese jujutsu (the spelling our school uses) for a few years before feeling this summer like I wanted to try, as well. I went in thinking I wanted it for self defense, which changed after pretty much the very first class to a realization that there is something BIG here for me of which self defense is only a nice side aspect (or will be, as I get better at it!) I like the feel of this forum. There is a lot of philosophy/attitude that is similar to what I am hearing in class. Thanks for creating this space.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched my son study Japanese jujutsu (the spelling our school uses) for a few years before feeling this summer like I wanted to try, as well. I went in thinking I wanted it for self defense, which changed after pretty much the very first class to a realization that there is something BIG here for me of which self defense is only a nice side aspect (or will be, as I get better at it!) I like the feel of this forum. There is a lot of philosophy/attitude that is similar to what I am hearing in class. Thanks for creating this space.
My overall primary reason for wanting martial arts training was (and somewhat still is) self-defense. But that's not really what helped me keep going back when money was tight, I was tired, it was raining and I only had my motorcycle or any of the other times it was just easier to not go. All that other stuff you're starting to think about really has helped keep me in when my primary purpose wasn't enough.

Welcome to the ward. There is no cure, but the medication is awesome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Maine Mama. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Provide more background when you can. It is always great to hear someone's good story.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and like you I rode the bench watching my kids for a few years before strapped on a dogi. 10 years later, I am still on the floor.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cool, glad that you have joined... Really hope that you enjoy the MA as much as the rest of us here :)