It's time to make our lung strong

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both aerobic activities and muscle-strengthening activities can benefit your lungs. Aerobic activities like walking, running or jumping rope give your heart and lungs the kind of workout they need to function efficiently.

For the coronavirus issue, it's time to make our lung strong. I used to run 3 miles 3 times weekly. I start to run 4 miles 7 times weekly.

Do you think this make sense? Your thought?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walking isn't aerobic. Walking doesn't get your heart rate up enough.

I don't think strength in your lungs has anything to do with how well you'll handle a virus. I think that's more up to your immune system.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think strength in your lungs has anything to do with how well you'll handle a virus. I think that's more up to your immune system.
I believe strong lung, strong immune system, and exercise all go together.

Exercise improves your overall fitness, which can help boost your immune system -- the body's defense against infections. Some studies show that "moderate intensity" exercise may cut down the number of colds you get.

Healthy ways to strengthen your immune system
  1. Don't smoke.
  2. Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
  3. Exercise regularly.
  4. Maintain a healthy weight.
  5. If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
  6. Get adequate sleep.
  7. Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Exercise improves your overall fitness, which can help boost your immune system -- the body's defense against infections. Some studies show that "moderate intensity" exercise may cut down the number of colds you get.

1. Don't smoke.
  3. Exercise regularly.
  6. Get adequate sleep.
  7. Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.

I was in class 6 days a week and I got sick usually 6-8 times a year. I think that's a bunch of malarkey.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Malarkey! I recommend malarkey to beat the coronavirus. But avoid codswallop at all costs.

Seriously... of course being strong and healthy physically beats being frail and anemic when it comes to maintaining your immune system, and the advice John quoted is pretty much just common sense. But geat fitness alone will not make you immune to disease. The 1918 flu attacked the young and strong most virulently while the older generations seamed to have more resistance. This new virus tends to the reverse.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walking isn't aerobic. Walking doesn't get your heart rate up enough.

of course walking is aerobic, try stoping breathing and see how far you can walk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

1. Don't smoke.
  3. Exercise regularly.
  6. Get adequate sleep.
agree apart from the last on, overwashing your hands and killing the bacteria in food by over cooking is a very good way of compromising your immune system. which needs a regular supply of nasties to keep it fit and ready, most people would benifit from doing some gardening and then eating a mouldy pork pie with out washing their hands

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Malarkey! I recommend malarkey to beat the coronavirus. But avoid codswallop at all costs.

Seriously... of course being strong and healthy physically beats being frail and anemic when it comes to maintaining your immune system, and the advice John quoted is pretty much just common sense. But geat fitness alone will not make you immune to disease. The 1918 flu attacked the young and strong most virulently while the older generations seamed to have more resistance. This new virus tends to the reverse.
the spanish flu was remarkable because of it effect on the young, as a general rule fitness is your best, but far from garenteed, bet

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was in class 6 days a week and I got sick usually 6-8 times a year. I think that's a bunch of malarkey.
Could be you were not getting enough rest in between. If you wear yourself down too much, even if you are physically fit, you can get sick more easily.

Overdoing it is not good. Balance is key.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be you were not getting enough rest in between. If you wear yourself down too much, even if you are physically fit, you can get sick more easily.

Overdoing it is not good. Balance is key.

I think so, which is why I think running more and more often is not the key if you're already running a healthy amount.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think so, which is why I think running more and more often is not the key if you're already running a healthy amount.
I agree, but I think it depends on the individual. It just isn’t a one-size-fits-all. Some people may be able to undertake a more rigorous schedule, others not so much. Depends on their current fitness level and I think other lifestyle issues.

Also, brief periods of increased intensity, perhaps for a week or two, followed by a week or two of bringing the intensity back to prior levels, might be a good way to increase fitness while reducing the risk of overdoing it. Repeating that alternation could be a sustainable schedule.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you walk 8 miles, during the

- 1st 4 miles, your body will detect the problems for you.
- 2nd 4 miles, your body will fix the problems for you.

Can you expand on that please?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you walk 8 miles, during the

- 1st 4 miles, your body will detect the problems for you.
- 2nd 4 miles, your body will fix the problems for you.

This seems like wild speculation to me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The oldest called me a couple weeks ago, all nervous about the coronavirus. I told him, your 21 and you just finished telling me a leisurely run for you was 12 miles (he is training for a marathon, I told him I did not think he has a thing to worry about. Of course, after that, the youngest had to text him about the first guy who ran a marathon died....

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you expand on that please?
It's my personal believe and I cannot prove it.

One time I had low back problem. I walked on the trail next to Stanford University. I had problem in the 1st 4 miles. I felt great in the 2nd 4 miles.

24 miles was the longest distance that I had hiked (include up hill and down hill in Grand Teton National Park).

Walking 8 Miles a Day
Depending on your body weight, you can burn up to 85-135 calories per mile. Walking 8 miles a day would result in approximately 680-1,080 calories burned. The drawback of walking 8 miles a day is that it is more time-consuming than other forms of exercise.

Why long walks will change your life?
WHY A DAILY WALK WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. ... In addition to promoting general well-being, walking has been shown to reduce the risk of serious health conditions like cardiovascular disease, diabetes and dementia all while improving concentration, energy and mood.

Last edited: