It's time for Representative Jefferson to step down.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Earlier today, the Democratic Congressman from Louisiana was indicted on 16 counts of bribery.

While we still believe in the presumption of innocence, the Congressman should relinquish his seat in Congress while fighting the charges against him. If, in time, if he is found Not Guilty, perhaps the good people of Louisiana would return him to Congress.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Earlier today, the Democratic Congressman from Louisiana was indicted on 16 counts of bribery.

While we still believe in the presumption of innocence, the Congressman should relinquish his seat in Congress while fighting the charges against him. If, in time, if he is found Not Guilty, perhaps the good people of Louisiana would return him to Congress.
I'm still a believer of innocent until proven guilty. I think it would make sense for him to relinquish the seat so that someone can dedicate full time to the congress, but if he thinks he can effectively represent his constituants and defend himself at the same time, then I'd say let him do so. It's going to likely be a huge time drain, even though I'm sure he will have a very effective team of lawyers helping. I wonder how long it will take for the charges to be resolved?

From my understanding, this is the largest number of bribery/corruption related charges brought agaisnt a sitting congressman. Scary stuff...

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Libby resigned the morning the indictments against him were filed.
Delay stayed on and was a distraction when he was indicted.
Ney and Cunningham stayed on various periods of time.

I have called for those members to step aside under similiar circumstances. It matters not how many charges are in the indictment, at least to me. I think the United States House of Representatives demands a higher standard than many other professions.

Latest Discussions