ITF practitioners

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At least in my experience my opponents and the people I watch fight have always been the hard hitters. But I have to admit it's always the big tournaments, I rarely go to smaller ones. There was one time in ITF when I beat my opponent with light contact but that was because we kind of knew eachother and respected eachother, when you don't know the guy it always seems to land up being all out.

Back when I was in GTF it was pretty common to go only semi contact. I found the Canadian ITF scene to be totally different and everyone hit much harder.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
B

Bagatha

^^ Your also a guy, the guys fight different than the girls do. :D A little bit more psyco. But your right, at national level you dont hold back. Cities/Provincials/Westerns(for me) you have a good chance of knowing the person so its different there too. Except last nationals, it was right after the big split and there were only 3 people in my weight division, I got the bi so then gold was for world qualifying and I really had no interest in that, and my opponent who was a freind of mine really seemed like she wanted to go so we decided she should go for sparring and I should go for patterns. So it was kind of a mock fight. Fun though. But very mild contact. She probubly would have beat me if it was for real anyway. On that note.....did you go to that one?? I dont remember too many new faces.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are we in the same federation? heh. So hard to tell these days. I'm with ITFC.

By the way you do Muay Thai as well?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
B

Bagatha

Yeah thats the one. Were you there?

Yeah I just started really. The dumb noob. This is the link to the place I train only its in Edmonton: www.mikemiles.com

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's a tournament outside Ontario I wouldn't have been there, I can't even remember where the last Nationals were..... I was at the last Easterns in Ottawa and Master Choi's cup in Oakville.

That's pretty kool that you train under Ajarn Mike Miles. I see that guy on TV all the time.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can go on my trip to Thailand to train as I just broke my foot. It's only a hairline fracture but it's interfering with getting ready for the trip. I'm supposed to go for 2 months on Christmas day.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
B

Bagatha

aw those are the worst kind of breaks too. Takes forever to heal. But you still have 6 weeks who knows, if you baby it, it might be ok by then. Im excited for you that would be so awsome to just get up and travel like that. I hope it works out.