ITF Certification

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

I was wondering with all this Kukki-cert talk, that someone can chime in about the ITF certs. My dojang is part of a small org. And I was wondering how I would go about getting my ITF cert when the time came. Or does it really matter? I do get a BB cert signed by my instructor's instructor, but I don't think it's an actual ITF one. Would I have to get it seperate, like I would the Kukki-cert (like at my old dojang)?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hiya all.

I was wondering with all this Kukki-cert talk, that someone can chime in about the ITF certs. My dojang is part of a small org. And I was wondering how I would go about getting my ITF cert when the time came. Or does it really matter? I do get a BB cert signed by my instructor's instructor, but I don't think it's an actual ITF one. Would I have to get it seperate, like I would the Kukki-cert (like at my old dojang)?

I don't know much about it, but I looked into the ITF last fall. I was told that when General Choi died a few years ago, instead of uniting, the ITF splintered into at least 3 parts. Each claiming to be the "real ITF." My advice (for what its worth) is to get the cert. from the org your school belongs to. It shouldn't be a separate thing for your school. I'm sure Kacey could give better details.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just checked here not to long ago and I was told that you must train in an ITF certified school before they will test and certify you. I said screw that and went to the ITA. It makes little difference who you get certified from. Let your skill speak for you. I used to think it was all about who you were certified with and who you train with. It makes little difference if you can't back it up with some skill.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I just checked here not to long ago and I was told that you must train in an ITF certified school before they will test and certify you. I said screw that and went to the ITA. It makes little difference who you get certified from. Let your skill speak for you. I used to think it was all about who you were certified with and who you train with. It makes little difference if you can't back it up with some skill.

I'm kinda with you there. We are with GM Park (linage sp?), but if we wanted a ITF cert, we would have to fly him here or fly down there and test under him. But, like you said, skill talks. But then again, I wanna open a school once I hit 3rd dan, so I think it matters. Or does it? It would be costly to do so, though. I really like the ITF, though. Or, at least, what I learn now. Help me folks. I really like this dojang.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traveling to test is more and more common in today's modern society. I have to travel to St. Louis to test at our national convention. This is fine and all, but can be very costly. I think around 3rd or 4th Dan I realized the insanity that society has laid upon titles. Even though I am still proud of the ranks that I hold they are meaning less and less to me every year. I hope that it is humility kicking in, but who knows.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Traveling to test is more and more common in today's modern society. I have to travel to St. Louis to test at our national convention. This is fine and all, but can be very costly. I think around 3rd or 4th Dan I realized the insanity that society has laid upon titles. Even though I am still proud of the ranks that I hold they are meaning less and less to me every year. I hope that it is humility kicking in, but who knows.

Good point. I'm a technique freak, so I hope my skill talks before a piece of paper. But not always. We'll see. GM Park is expensive.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
searcher said:

Well Searcher, I just want to earn my 3rd dan before the insanity gets any worse...:ultracool

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I hold a 4th Dan in the ITF and received it sometime around 1994. If you want ITF certificates then probably you will have to train in an ITF certifide school. If you already know the forms then probably it would not take very long. However, since General Choi's death the ITF has splintered and yet it is a still a very big organization.

Having said that your instructors certificate would be more important in my opinion because it is a link to who you train with. That and your skill
are what is important. Good luck with you training.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another option is the ITA under Stephen Benko. They are based off of the Chong-han forms.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think certification in TKD is especially unimportant. There's so many associations out there and none of them really seem to do a great job of providing benefits for their members, except for the more commerical ones, and those I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. If you don't plan to train students to compete in the Olympics or in AAU, it really makes no difference to your students which org you belong to, or even if you belong to one at all. The only reason I could see where membership is important is if you wish to continue to achieve rank and have it bestowed by someone.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes but if he wants to stay with the same basic style, he needs to ask. I mean there is ATA, ITF (multiple clubs and orgs) and WTF (Sport and otherwise). He wants to keep his rank, and be comfortable doing so - I still think he should call some of the schools down there.

jstreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Another option is the ITA under Stephen Benko. They are based off of the Chong-han forms.

Is the ITA a splinter of the ITF or is it different all together?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's also a International Taekwon-do Alliance (ITA) which I understand was created by some ATA defectors. Talk about alphabet soup!

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
stoneheart said:
There's also a International Taekwon-do Alliance (ITA) which I understand was created by some ATA defectors. Talk about alphabet soup!

Yup, and there is the HTF, ITC, TA and more and more ATA splinters every year.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL Ok don't confuse me folks LOL. I'll check out more of our linage, and some of you made very good points. Lots to think about. I do know that we do the Chong-han forms with no shine wave. That may be a clue for some of you. Hopefully this will help.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
LOL Ok don't confuse me folks LOL. I'll check out more of our linage, and some of you made very good points. Lots to think about. I do know that we do the Chong-han forms with no shine wave. That may be a clue for some of you. Hopefully this will help.

With NO sine wave? That's probably not the USTF then. I think that's a big part of their stuff.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
What year was the 'sine wave' introduced? I know it was before 1983-84 when the ATA left the ITF.

As I said, the USTF is what the ITF should be. Good group with great leadership.