ITF and WTF's view on grappling?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fissure,

The Taegeuk forms are known, but, not practiced. My GM. decided not long after their inception, that the two sets have too many similarities to not be considered a bit redundant. He expressed that learning the same moves in the Pal Gae sequences is enough to understand more applications than most students would realistically need already. I understand that some people would take issue with this, but, it can be compared with having 20 responses to a certain type of attack as opposed to say 6. With 6 there is less chance of a deer in the headlights log jam when the reactionary phase of ingrained motor skills takes over. If the apps. are broken down and repetitiously practiced, there is only so much room in the subconcious reactionary part of the brain where motor skills are stored. His training in apps. when younger was quite repetitious and rugged. He noticed, and was taught, when the cut off point takes over, the prior learned skills start becoming useless. Mr. Lee expounded on this same science very well for his JKD students, as I'm sure you are aware. My GM. utilizes the same is all I am trying to say. This is how the not practicing Taegeuk forms is rationalized. Most Masters that he associates with are of the same or similar viewpoints. I do not practice any other forms, but, I do drill apps.

To be certified Kukkiwon wise he himself does not require me to practice other than Pal Gae forms even though that is contrary to the common standard. Some would say that is unfair, but, the understanding and absorbtion of the material practiced is better considering the above science view and all other things being equal. That understanding can then be applied to other patterns that aren't part of the students pattern sets. This is how I examined Won-Hyo being A non ITF TKD student. If this doesn't fit other peoples expectations, they are entitled to their opinions. I wish them success in their studies. Sorry about the lengthy response.

Best wishes,
white belt

OP
F

fissure

I think any of the colored belt series of forms serves the purpose equally well. Taeguek, Palgwe or Pyung An are all rearranged copies of one another. I also don't see the point in learning different sets of basically the same thing, a point I disagree with my former teacher on! Agian I am curious, if your Master has held on to the somewhat older Palgwes does he also teach the older Dan level forms I mentioned?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Koryo, Kumgang, Tabek, Pyongwon, etc.

I haven't seen those old forms you mentioned. Sounds interesting though.

white belt