It really is the system.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. I see you use your 'low horse stance' like what I would call a 'side stance'.
I try to show pictures or video when possible. Alot of time we visualize something different than what the person is saying.

I am surprised that people that did attempt shoots on you, didn't go for your back (as in fake a single leg to take your back).
My rear leg was safe. It was too far for them to shoot for it. Depending on where they start it's about a 6ft drive to reach my back leg and you have to get through my hands and other defenses.

Perhaps you are fast enough to keep cover that attack but it is again difficult to see with just a still motion photo.
I'm quick enough but speed doesn't factor in it for the person standing in horse. The distance that it takes for people to reach my rear leg adds time to the shoot so it takes longer for the shoot than it normally would. I have video I just figure people who have seen it are probably sick of seeing it.

One of the issues I see with a low horse stance is it has a tendency to take away mobility and freeze the hips
You still have mobility but it's not striking mobility. The low horse stance addresses grappling and not striking. What you lose in mobility you gain in stability and defense.

The wider and lower the stance, the more difficult to move the feet.
Which is why works good with grappling. Again It's still possible to move quickly, but it's different from how one moves when in a higher stance. Different stance heights serve different purposes.
Here's an example of quick movements while in low stance. As you can see she has quite a bit of mobility.

Standing sideways also means to me that you are taking away the use of two of your weapons especially if your opponents constantly circles to your back.
These are the things I can do from a low stance.
lead hand jab
lead hand hook
lead hand block
lead hand upper cut
lead hand back fist
lead foot front kick
lead foot side kick.
lead foot sweep
lead foot hook.
Front kick
Side kick
sweep
rear hand punch which is. Transition from horse to bow.
Back feast
Rear long fist
Cut angles,
Step back
shuffle left shuffle right.

I won't be able to move fast enough or far enough to run circles around you but I'll be able to move quickly to defend and attack and set up.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Yokozuna514
The best way to understand this is to do a couple of long fist, Jow Ga, Choi Li Fut, Hung Ga or any system that use long fist punches. What you'll discover is that you can't draw enough power from the hips without breaking the structure. But if you use the waist you can generate a significant amount. Once you experience that, then you will understand the difference.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are effective so long as you drive the power with the leg and not a pivot. If I can remember (probably won't but, if I do). I will do a video of me punching pads from a low horse stance so you can hear the punches sound off.

Hasn't happened yet. Tested it against various people, including people with good take down skills and people with bad take down skills. Like I always say. I have it on tape. (well at least some of it)

Ankle pick will put you at risk of being punched or kick in the face. Dropping down in a low horse stance doesn't mean it's static horse stance. Footwork is always in the picture.

Physically impossible to be in these position if I'm in low horse stance
View attachment 23707

View attachment 23710

You can tackle me if you want but it's not going to play out like you think. This guy is going in for the tackle, He did this when I was in a low stance. My hook isn't going to land. Because I'm in a horse stance my rear hand is in a good position for an under hook. The guys that are good won't mess with me when I'm in a low stance like that. They'll play it safe by kicking my lead leg until I'm tired of the punishment.
View attachment 23712

This is the result of his plan
View attachment 23713

Second attempt I'm in low stance again.
View attachment 23714

He charges in punching. I don't back up
View attachment 23715

This is the result of his plan
View attachment 23716

When I do hooks, I generate power in this manner . Foot flat - Leg -> waist -> arm
If you generate a power for a hook like this Ball of foot> hip> arm> Then you won't be able to drive the power while in horse stance

Here's the power that you don't think is there

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's the message but what we tend to forget is that the recipient is more than likely focusing on something else (like the sound of their heart pounding in their ears ;) ). If I see someone constantly have this issue, I would go and have a chat with them after class to see if they realize that their hands are too low. Do they understand the consequences of keeping their hands low. Are they interested in working on additional drills on their own time to correct this problem. Would they be interested in pairing up with a more advanced student that can guide them during real time sparring so that they can understand context as well as form. I am sure there you can think of and have already tried tons of other things to correct this. Eventually they will figure it out or get tagged a few times and decide this is just not for them.

My Preferred tactic for students that don't keep their hands up is to do pad work with them. Every time they drop their hands I tap them in the head with a pad. Occasionally means I get punched in the arm rather than the pad, but wearing gloves it's not so bad! 5 minutes of that and they generally get the idea, and are much better afterwards.

Of course everyone drops their hands sometimes, some styles are even built on it, but start with the basics and go from there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if they realize that their hands are too low.
Sometime I like to drop my hands low, invite my opponent's punch to come toward my head, I then knock his punch down, and ...

When my opponent punches me, I like to punch back at the same time. I don't like to block his punch and put myself in defense mode.

my-hook-3.gif

A circular punch can knock down a straight punch. The starting point of a circular punch is usually from a lower position. If you keep swing left hook and right hook in front of you, no jab and cross can go through.

If you can shoot down your enemy missile in the ocean, it's better to shoot it down on top of your capital.

Keegan-double-spears.gif

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't hold your hands up you hold your elbows in. And your hands follow.

Latest Discussions