Issuing school Certs if Kukkiwon

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a Korean GM who would gladly promote anyone willing to pay and give out his schools cert. But he would only allow a select few to get their KKW and wouldn't honor other BB from outside the school without one.

go figure.
and this is why the KKW makes me want to vomit...
Not sure why you would pin this on the Kukkiwon; I think that this has less to do with the KKW than it does with an unscrupulous school owner.

and BTW, on those rare occasions where you have to change schools, how about using your technique to verify your rank instead of some worthless paper?

if you got the kicks and punches to back it up, that ought to be good enough
Absolutely. If you have the skills, the paper is not an issue.

Daniel

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very well put. My rank would not mean anything at a KKW school and that doesnt bother me in the slightest.

Actually this is not true-it is up to the instructor. I've had folks with TSD and ATA black belts come and train with us. In my dojang, if you have the skills to back up the rank, you wear the belt. I just don't get provide the KKW certificate until you meet the KKW guidelines. My job is to teach my students, not help them wall-paper their portfolios-they have to learn the material.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blushing....

I have the good fortune to have some really dedicated hard-working students and to have had some awesome instructors.

Dana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I do not care what certificate a students walks into my door with if they can walk the walk. The folks that set that standard are in that same school. I've seen phenomenal black belts with ugly school certificates and sucky black belts with pretty certificates. Does not matter if they are KKW, ITF or whatever, the student will only be as good as the instructors he gets it from. With all that being said, most of my students prefer a certificate with the signature of the instructor they have actually met and work with. I encourage KKW certification and my instructors association because I am small pond and like it that way. [Now from the other side of my mouth] - I have those certifications so I can provide them to a service to my students.

Dana

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
With regards to these other organizations that you know, is it a straight transfer of rank based upon similarity of curriculum or do you evaluate the student first?

Personally, I think that portability of rank is vastly overstated. 90% of those who start a martial art quit either at blackbelt or before. Some quit to start another MA, in which case portability of rank is not an issue, while most just quit having either achieved their goal or having moved on to other things.

I evaluate the student and will also look at similarity of curriculum.

To back track a little, I have accepted and recognized one non Kukkiwon 1st Dan blackbelt without even asking to see his certificate or get details about his former teacher or organization. He's in his 50s, and the first time he came to my class I knew he was the real deal two minutes into basic drills. This is an exceptional case, though. While lacking knowlede of Kukkiwon poomsae, the man's punches, blocks, kicks, stances, and stances are excellent. His one-step sparring and breaking techniques are crisp. And all this was after a very long layoff. The gentleman is recognized as a blackbelt in our dojang, but if he wants to earn 2nd dan he will have to learn and be tested on Kukkiwon poomsae and our dojang's curriculum.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
After reading the post by Dana It really got me thinking. As much as a Kukkiwon Cert is wonderful, having your teachers signature is huge.
If the Kukkiwon truly did not want multiple Certificates, it would be a huge step forward if the kukkiwon issued the Certs and left the spot for the Master to sign as well.
Now that would be cool and smart!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading the post by Dana It really got me thinking. As much as a Kukkiwon Cert is wonderful, having your teachers signature is huge.
If the Kukkiwon truly did not want multiple Certificates, it would be a huge step forward if the kukkiwon issued the Certs and left the spot for the Master to sign as well.
Now that would be cool and smart!

That would be absolutely great but it will never happen in my lifetime.