Isn't This Disgusting?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The State Militias report through the Department of Homeland Security. They are not part of the Department of Defense.

Anyone who chooses to look at the term 'military', as commonly referenced in this country, will recognize that our 'Military' is organized in five branches (Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard), with the Commander-in-Chief being the President of the United States.

I mean no disrespect to anyone's service. To claim that the Massachusetts State Guard is 'military' is far outside the normative use of that term. You are not under the command of the President. The Massachusetts State Guard is under the command of Governor Deval Patrick.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can we please just get back to the subject at hand and not make this about anyone in particular.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Lisa - teaching a child to lie deliberately to win tickets to a concert is reprehensible.

As far as nit-picking about whether or not the militia is part of the military based on who it reports to, I find that to be a different topic entirely; perhaps you should start another thread if you wish to discuss that issue.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, so why aren't we discussing the reprehensible adjudicators for Club Libby Lu? No doubt, with the popularity of the Market Machine that is Hannah Montana, they received thousands of entries.

It would seem to me that Club Libby Lu chose the essay in question to garner free press; to generate attention and dollars based on a dead soldier.

No doubt, every person who submitted an essay would say the exact same thing about their entry; "We did the essay and that's what we did to win. We did whatever we could do to win." Other entrants may not have chosen to enter a fictional essay, but I am certain each of them entered with the intention of doing whatever they could to win. That is why people participate in these types of events. Hell, when I buy a Lottery Ticket, I do it so that I can win.

The mother was honest with the company when asked if the story was true. There was no ongoing deceptions. It was a work of fiction to win a highly sought after prize.

It would seem to me that if one wishes to be outraged, Saks, and Club Libby Lu would be a good place to start.

There's no such thing as 'bad', free press, eh?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The State Militias report through the Department of Homeland Security. They are not part of the Department of Defense.

Anyone who chooses to look at the term 'military', as commonly referenced in this country, will recognize that our 'Military' is organized in five branches (Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard), with the Commander-in-Chief being the President of the United States.

I mean no disrespect to anyone's service. To claim that the Massachusetts State Guard is 'military' is far outside the normative use of that term. You are not under the command of the President. The Massachusetts State Guard is under the command of Governor Deval Patrick.
You don't know what the hell you are talking about.
The National Guard, the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States and one of the nation's longest-enduring institutions, celebrated its 370th birthday on December 13, 2006. The National Guard traces its history back to the earliest English colonies in North America. Responsible for their own defense, the colonists drew on English military tradition and organized their able-bodied male citizens into militias.
http://www.ngb.army.mil/About/default.aspx
The National Guard is a reserve component of the military, hence their officers having RESERVE commissions, hence the .mil web address, which is exclusive to the military and DOD. The National Guard did indeed grow out of the old militias, but the idea that they are not a part of the military is foolish, even for you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attention All Users:

Please return to the original thread topic which is:

From USA Today:
Girl won Hannah Montana tickets with fake essay GARLAND, Texas (AP) — An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."
While gripping, it was not true — and now the girl may lose her tickets after her mom acknowledged to contest organizers it was all a lie.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say chaps, never mind arguing who is in the military...who the hell is Hannah Montana?

From the OED
essay

• noun /essay/ 1 a piece of writing on a particular subject. 2 [SIZE=-1]formal[/SIZE] an attempt or effort.
• verb /esay/ [SIZE=-1]formal[/SIZE] attempt.
[SIZE=-1]— DERIVATIVES[/SIZE] essayist [SIZE=-1]noun[/SIZE] essayistic [SIZE=-1]adjective[/SIZE]. [SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] Old French essai ‘trial’; the verb is an alteration of [SIZE=-1]ASSAY[/SIZE].

An essay is a piece of writing no more no less. The rules of the competition would have to be checked to see whether rulles were broken.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long version. Short version: Second generation redneck "musician" currently being pimped by Disney.

Sounds fun!

I suspect the aspect of cheating is not whether essay was true or not, as I said that depends on the rules but perhaps whether is was actually written by the child.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the reaction of our fellow citizens was more disgusting than the original event.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22502162/

The 25-year-old Ceballos, who has two other children, said that the negative publicity and public scorn heaped on her since her ruse was exposed three days after Christmas has forced her out of her home and destroyed her life.

Perhaps a bit hyperbolic, perhaps not.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forced her out of her home? How? She win that with different lie? Unless she had, there is no way it could have forced her from her home.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the reaction of our fellow citizens was more disgusting than the original event.

The collective reaction (whatever that may be) or specific reactions of some people?

Is it the really scorn and negativity, or the tell-tale heart that DESTROYED HER LIFE. (hyperbolic, indeed!)

I hope she can move on, didn't pretty much everyone else that cared much about it do so already?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
People will do despicable things for money or for things that are worth money. This is not exactly news :shrug:

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I too, find this very disgusting and feel as if they should have been disqualified at best. I know the little girl would be heart broken because of this but her mother should not have enouraged such dishonest behaviour to begin with.

Now I because of a medical condition was not able to serve in the military. But before my knowledge of this it was destined to be life at one time until recently.

Every branch of the military has reserves. Air Force/Navy has the National Air Guard. The National Guard is usually Army based. But usually its just the reserves which are suppose to be on a part time basis. Unfortunately in today's military you've got the extended leave until they get this war figured out. I applaud, and support all of our soldiers because they're our best line of defense.

Ok sorry to be patriotic in a disgust related thread but I just wanted to throw that out there. Back to the original topic now.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it is OK for Hannah Montana to present a fiction. The irony is so thick on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/11/music.hannahswitch.ap/index.html

After Hannah has completed the featured verse on the duet with the Jonas Brothers, a body double appears approximately one to two minutes prior to the end of the song in order to allow Miley to remove the Hannah wig and costume and transform into Miley for her solo set. Other than during this very brief transitional moment in the show, Miley performs live during the entirety of both the Hannah and Miley segments of the concert."

I wonder if this will generate any outrage about 'fake' or 'phony'.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it is OK for Hannah Montana to present a fiction. The irony is so thick on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/11/music.hannahswitch.ap/index.html

I wonder if this will generate any outrage about 'fake' or 'phony'.

If you are being serious.

I don't see why it would generate outrage and it really isn't ironic. It's just a show. People have become 'other' people on stage for years and have used all sorts of tricks and techniques to put on a show and keep a show moving. Just ask Vincent Furnier, Dee Snider, Brian Warner, and a host of others, many not as shocking and outrageous as the few I named.

People shouldn't be any more outraged by this than by finding out that Jack Bauer is really a part played by Kiefer Sutherland and he has a body double doing some of his parts too.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't see why it would generate outrage and it really isn't ironic. It's just a show. People have become 'other' people on stage for years and have used all sorts of tricks and techniques to put on a show and keep a show moving. Just ask Vincent Furnier, Dee Snider, Brian Warner, and a host of others, many not as shocking and outrageous as the few I named.

People shouldn't be any more outraged by this than by finding out that Jack Bauer is really a part played by Kiefer Sutherland and he has a body double doing some of his parts too.
Don't forget the Brady's, they were on tour too...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am being serious.

There is a stir in the world because someone wrote an essay that wasn't genuine, to be able to see a show.

And then the performer in that show, a make believe character in the first place, has to have a stand-in to play the make believe character.

I think it makes that outrage about the disingenuiness of the essay even more petty.

Latest Discussions