Isn't Bas Ruttens hook delivered in this study suboptimally executed?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From a boxing perspective that is. It just looks weird to me, and I'm not even a boxer!

I don't think it matters for the experiment. My guess is the scientist said hit this as hard and as safely as you can. They would require that the hooks be thrown with the same technique / form each time because they are researching the gloves and not the punch. But to your point that you later stated. I'm of the belief that technique produces power.

I'm simply extrapolating based on the fact that his body did not appear to be in unision
This is the basis for generating power in martial arts but it may not be as much as a guiding principle in other sports. I've seen some boxers do it and I've seen some just try to strike hard without little care of what structures are being sited together. For example, this is probably not an issue for most MMA fighters. You'll find some that understand that having everything working together is important and other who just don't care as long as they can hit hard.

I asked if it was correct from a textbook perspective.
From a textbook perspective, it will depend on which textbook you are looking at. For Boxing, you'll get mixed answers, For MMA they will most likely say that it's correct, From a Martial Arts perspective, they will say it's all wrong. From the perspective of the guy getting hit, he would say that it was hard enough even if it wasn't correct. The correctness of technique will vary with the fighting system and fighting styles. It could be that this punching technique is best for his structure (muscle tightness, strengths, weaknesses, strategy.) Look at things this way. There are a lot of things that boxers do that would be considered incorrect in Martial Arts. But what boxers do is correct technique for boxers. What Bas Rutten does would be correct technique for MMA.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
. What Bas Rutten does would be correct technique for MMA.
Nah...What Bas Rutten does would be correct for Bas.

When throwing hooks he say he doesn't worry about slipping or covering just pull your hand back and out about elbow height and punch. He even says "Yes I know I'm wide open"..."Just throw the hook hard"

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You think you can teach Bas Rutten then? He's a karateka not a boxer,,.

I know karatekas love to claim him as one of their own, but Bas Rutten quit Kyoukshin long before black belt (in favour of Muay Thai) and was later awarded an honorary 2nd degree black belt based on his performance in MMA.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know karatekas loves to claim him as one of their own, but Bas Rutten quit Kyoukshin long before black belt (in favour of Muay Thai) and was later awarded an honorary 2nd degree black belt based on his performance in MMA.
No ones claiming him as their own....seriously do you realise how stupid that sounds...that's just facts, he's also a 2nd dan in taekwondo and shintai karate as well as kyoukshin

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
No ones claiming him as their own....seriously do you realise how stupid that sounds...that's just facts, he's also a 2nd dan in taekwondo and shintai karate as well as kyoukshin

She claimed that he's a Karateka. And stop reading Wikipedia.. Once again, Bas Rutten, Like Anderson Silva, were awarded a post honorary black belt in Taekwondo as well. Neither one reached anywhere close to black belt in that art either.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
She claimed that he's a Karateka. And stop reading Wikipedia.. Once again, Bas Rutten, Like Anderson Silva, was awarded a post honorary black belt in Taekwondo as well. Neither one reached anywhere close to black belt.
And he does do karate doesn't matter what belt if he did karate that means he did karate so she's right he does have a karate base....what's so difficult to understand...he's more of a karate guy than a boxer he never trained pure boxing in his life.

Also you serious? Anderson silva was seriously considering competing in the Olympics for taekwondo. You're letting silly things like belts cloud your judgement are bas rutten and Anderson honorary black belts who know who cares...what matters is they could destroy 90% of any black belts it's the skill that matters not the belt same with this thread who cares about his technique it obviously works for him so who the heck cares If it's proper technique

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
And he does do karate doesn't matter what belt if he did karate that means he did karate so she's right he does have a karate base....what's so difficult to understand...he's more of a karate guy than a boxer he never trained pure boxing in his life.

Also you serious? Anderson silva was seriously considering competing in the Olympics for taekwondo.

Andersson Silva capitalized on his honorary black belt after getting suspended in the UFC, and wanted to compete in Olympic Taekwondo. That does not change the fact the he did TKD as a kid and quit long before black belt. As did Bas Rutten. So let's get the facts straight.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andersson Silva capitalized on his awarded black belt after getting suspended in the UFC, and wanted to compete in Olympic Taekwondo. That does not change the fact the he did TKD as a kid and quit long before black belt. As did Bas Rutten. So let's get the facts straight.
And? Who cares they're still 2 of the best fighters of all time

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know it's irrelevant for the study, but I actually think a textbook hook from the same Bas Rutten would generate more force. Someone wrote in the comment section that Bas was never formally trained in boxing so that's why his technique looks home cooked, because it is!
Just to point out that the xomment section isn't what I would consider a reliable source of information. :)

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
And? Who cares they're still 2 of the best fighters of all time

No doubt. I just call BS when I see it. Nothing more than that. There are MMA-fighters with extensive traditional martial arts backgrounds. No need to try and mislead the readers with people who don't fit that bill.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also I do find it quite funny how you're criticising someone's boxing technique...the same guy who posted a thread asking if he should start boxing or not

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I just call BS when I see it. Nothing more than that. There are MMA-fighters with extensive traditional martial arts background. No need to try and mislead the readers who don't fit that bill.

About Bas | Bas Rutten System

Karate, TKD and Muay Thai (not boxing).
''Sebastiaan “Bas” Rutten (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈbɑs ˈrʏtə(n)];) is a Dutch retired mixed martial artist (MMA), Karate and Taekwondo blackbelt, and Muay Thai kickboxer."

Calm down. What you are doing is asking if a cricket batsman's technique is technically correct for baseball, just because a bat and a ball is involved in both games.

post honorary black belt

What's one of them then?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Rutten submitted Japanese wrestler Kazuo "Yoshiki" Takahashi with an inverted heel hook during a grappling exchange which had been overconfidently initiated by Kazuo. The hold completely broke Takahashi's shin bone and gained Rutten an honorary 5th degree black belt in Kyokushin Budokai by Jon Bluming after he learned the fact".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Rutten submitted Japanese wrestler Kazuo "Yoshiki" Takahashi with an inverted heel hook during a grappling exchange which had been overconfidently initiated by Kazuo. The hold completely broke Takahashi's shin bone and gained Rutten an honorary 5th degree black belt in Kyokushin Budokai by Jon Bluming after he learned the fact".

Says the man who told another poster to stop using Wikipedia.

However he was already a 2nd Dan in that style. He wasn't given those, the 5th Dan was given but in many styles you often don't' grade after 3rd or 4th anyway. I don't know why you are so hung up on this, Bas Rutten is a black belt karateka, the 5th Dan wouldn't have been given if he didn't already have the other grades.

"Gus: How many different styles of fighting have you trained in? Do you have any ranks? Who do you consider your teacher?

Bas: Tae Kwon Do 2nd Degree, Kyokushin Karate 2nd Degree, Thai boxing yellow slip (just kidding), Kyokushin All round fighting 5th Degree (I received this after I defeated Takahashi. I didn’t do any test for this)."
Bas Rutten Interview

I don't know what you are trying to prove, and I still don't know what a 'post honorary belt' is.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah...What Bas Rutten does would be correct for Bas.

When throwing hooks he say he doesn't worry about slipping or covering just pull your hand back and out about elbow height and punch. He even says "Yes I know I'm wide open"..."Just throw the hook hard"
I said that as well. There are no sets of techniques that define MMA so almost anything goes so long as it's effective and not illegal.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm simply extrapolating based on the fact that his body did not appear to be in unision, like a textbook hook, when delivering the technique. But anyway, I was mainly interested in if it was deemed correct.

Yes it is correct. Combat sports determine correctness by effect rather than athetics.

Which is the correct way to determine correctness.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bas also states he it's not going to be a straight, it's not going to be an uppercut, it's not going to be a hook. It's going to be kinda all of the above.
When it comes to Bas and punching...his are text book Bas not boxing.

We call that one an undercut. Neat little punch.

Latest Discussions