Is WTF ANY good for self defence

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why not keep hands up? I don't know-I am an old-stylist who was taught to keep his hands up-and teach my students to do the same. I will say though that at the Kukkiwon, (during Poomsae, not when we trained with the Samsung and Korean Olympians), we were told to lower our hands since keeping them up raised the center of gravity (picture high block w/left hand in left front stance, right front kick, stepping forward to right middle section punch-fairly common sequence in Korean/Japanese martial arts) which adversely affected balance.

After that training session, I can see why the Olympic folks keep their hands down and, I never thought I would say this, it makes sense for them to keep their hands down or in a lower guard position.
Personally, I will continue to keep my hands up, but I did enjoy the sparring. It brought some things to my attention that I need to work on. I am looking forward to continuing to train with you guys.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
After that training session, I can see why the Olympic folks keep their hands down and, I never thought I would say this, it makes sense for them to keep their hands down or in a lower guard position.
Personally, I will continue to keep my hands up, but I did enjoy the sparring. It brought some things to my attention that I need to work on. I am looking forward to continuing to train with you guys.
Please, share your insight.

Thank you in advance.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Something one of their Masters told me. Something along the lines of, "If you are blocking, you are acting on his kick and not yourself scoring. Instead, keep a guard and rely on evasion/footwork."

Since there are no punches to the face, it is easier to rely on foot work, jamming, and evasion to avoid head shots. Most of the kicks are coming towards the body, and they will arrive their faster than kicks to the head, it is better to keep your hands down to prevent being scored on.

I still kept my hands up out of habit, but the guys who kept their hands down made it work for them.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another reason the WTF fighters keep their hands down: They are trying to goad the guy into kicking toward their head. Head kicking requires different distance than middle, and puts you at greater risk for receing a counter. Therefore, one fighter will often keep hands down to appear vulnerable, get the guy to initiate a high kick, and counter appropriately.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
It was very nice to meet you yesterday! It is a very good group of folks-lots of sweat and very little ego! Hope to see you in Kalamazoo.

Miles

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You are right about the little ego thing. It did kind of take me by surprize by how open and easy-going the instructors were, especially to an "outsider". I kept asking questions and they were more than happy to put up with me and keep providing answers. Very friendly people.

I hope to attend the workout in Kalamazoo. I will have to see what my work schedule tells me. I do want to continue doing point sparring and full-contact sparring. I think it will make me a better rounded TKDist and being allowed to finally hit someone as hard as I want (and letting him hit me as hard as they want) is refreshing and is forcing me to change how I throw my techniques a bit.

I hope to see you in Kalamazoo!

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
You are right about the little ego thing. It did kind of take me by surprize by how open and easy-going the instructors were, especially to an "outsider". I kept asking questions and they were more than happy to put up with me and keep providing answers. Very friendly people.

I hope to attend the workout in Kalamazoo. I will have to see what my work schedule tells me. I do want to continue doing point sparring and full-contact sparring. I think it will make me a better rounded TKDist and being allowed to finally hit someone as hard as I want (and letting him hit me as hard as they want) is refreshing and is forcing me to change how I throw my techniques a bit.

Great, now lwt us know why they keep their arms down!!! I and some others that I spar with may keep the FDW guard down at times to guard kicks , but not both, so I am curious:asian:

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:

Great, now let us know why they keep their arms down!!! I and some others that I spar with may keep the FDW guard down at times to guard kicks , but not both, so I am curious:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is WTF any good for self defense no, but maybe the person doing is!!!!!

OP
M

MissTwisties

I'm not sure I understand this whole thread. Seems some of you are saying that taekwondo is no good for self-defense? :( That's one of the main reasons I did put my little girl in a taekwondo class, hoping that if she likes it and grow up doing it, she could face almost any predators on the street when she's a teenager. Am I dreaming to hope for that? Sexual offenders, murderers, psychos of any kind are everywhere...it is scarry. I want my girls to be able to survive and defend themselves later in life. I wanted also an opportunity to use this for College, competitions, maybe even Olympics, who knows...

Let me know if Taekwondo is not the right place for them to learn REAL self-defense, please....so we don't waste our money for nothing.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
I'm not sure I understand this whole thread. Seems some of you are saying that taekwondo is no good for self-defense? :( That's one of the main reasons I did put my little girl in a taekwondo class, hoping that if she likes it and grow up doing it, she could face almost any predators on the street when she's a teenager. Am I dreaming to hope for that? Sexual offenders, murderers, psychos of any kind are everywhere...it is scarry. I want my girls to be able to survive and defend themselves later in life. I wanted also an opportunity to use this for College, competitions, maybe even Olympics, who knows...

Let me know if Taekwondo is not the right place for them to learn REAL self-defense, please....
Miss Twisties you have to understand WTF is sport base TKD not actual TKD so do not try to compare the two. The difference is over whelming to the beginner just let your daughter have fun and learn and go from there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF point sparring is different than WTF self defense.

Point sparring is a chess match game, though a deadly one with knock out power. Defense in point sparring is just to not be there in the way of the kick. Or second best, protect the likeliest target with blocks. The best defense is to counter. I would rather have my hands up to go either way-down or high but national/international tournament sparring, I recognize, is a whole different chess match. Can't judge it unless you've been there.

Self defense just goes to take the attacker out. Knee, groin and eye gouges are not in normal sparring. And we do learn good self defense in my opinion. So WTF is good for self defense. TW

OP
M

MissTwisties

So...does that mean that if she learns "WTF" taekwondo, it will be good to go to Olympics and such, because it is a sport, but it won't be good enough for self-defense...

And that if she learn another form of taekwondo (I don't know how you call it or even spell it), it wouldn't be good to go to Olympics/competitions but it would be good for self-defense?

Can't she learn BOTH? The sport aspect AND the real self-defense aspect of it (I guess what you call the "art"). Why is this so complicated!!!!! Like I said, I don't want to waste money for nothing, since it doesn't grow in the trees.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably didn't have time to read my post. Yes, you can do both, you learn both. They are separate areas of learning. WTF is a style of learning, style of kicking, forms. Just like ITF is the older style. Both teach self defense as well. The stronger we get, the better we are to defend ourselves but even a white belt has two techniques that they can do. Each belt learns more. I've learned others as well. But basically we learn about thirty self defense techniques. Each instructor may teach this a little differently though. TW

OP
M

MissTwisties

Yes! I was trying to post after I saw your pst...sorry...lol I want to apologize if I'm exasperating with all my questions...I just hate being ignorant and I like to understand things...lol

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Yes! I was trying to post after I saw your pst...sorry...lol I want to apologize if I'm exasperating with all my questions...I just hate being ignorant and I like to understand things...lol
Mis Twisties remember your daughter is five right she has a long time for learning let her enjoy where she is and go from there, no money is wated as you put it if your child is enjoying herself and from some of your post she is and you are having fun watching her. We put are childern is extra cirriculum activities so they can evolve and become pretty good with motor skills and build a solid foundation and that is what the Art or the Sport of TKD does so sit back and enjoy her enjoyment.

OP
H

Hwoarang

It's not the style that matters.. It is the person behind it. You can't speak for all WTF Dojangs..

OP
M

MissTwisties

From what I read in some posts, is that WTF is no good for self-defense. The school she is going to is a WTF school. What I'm trying to say is that I didn't put her in a martial arts class just to have fun, there was a main purpose to it, and that was for her to start learning techniques NOW on how to defend herself later on if she needs it. Having fun only, she can do that at home and it doesn't cost any money. Self-defense, that I cannot teach her and that's why I'm paying for her to learn it. Yes I want her to have fun but while she is LEARNING real self-defense, not only the sport aspect of Taekwondo that wouldn't be much of use if she gets attacked on the street. Some of you say that WTF is good self-defense, some of you say it's not. Very confusing...lol

Edit: I guess opinions will differ very much so, and I feel if I try to look too much into it, I might go nutz. :D

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
From what I read in some posts, is that WTF is no good for self-defense. The school she is going to is a WTF school. What I'm trying to say is that I didn't put her in a martial arts class just to have fun, there was a main purpose to it, and that was for her to start learning techniques NOW on how to defend herself later on if she needs it. Having fun only, she can do that at home and it doesn't cost any money. Self-defense, that I cannot teach her and that's why I'm paying for her to learn it. Yes I want her to have fun but while she is LEARNING real self-defense, not only the sport aspect of Taekwondo that wouldn't be much of use if she gets attacked on the street. Some of you say that WTF is good self-defense, some of you say it's not. Very confusing...lol

Edit: I guess opinions will differ very much so, and I feel if I try to look too much into it, I might go nutz. :D
There are WTF that teaches self defense, yours may be one of them. Talk to your instructor and find out he onlys knows. As far as hwoarang your right in my earlier post three door up I stated that look in see.Miss twisties when I say let her have fun the most important aspect is for the child to have fun for the first couple of weeks or they will not be able to learn down the road.Adult can push themself to put there body through the ringer a child needs a little guideness.

OP
M

MissTwisties

I just spoke with the master's wife, she reassured me a great deal. They do teach self-defense, and also mental mind sets on how to deal with different situations in life, wether for self-defense or for something else. She is a 2nd dan black belt in WTF. She says that herself would feel very confident defending herself if she was faced with someone holding a knife or trying to punch her, as they are using their feet to keep distance from an attacker, and they also use their voice to discourage the attacker, or something like that anyway...

Latest Discussions