Is Wing Chun even viable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of them are, but some of them aren't. You can't assume.

You assumed OPs prioritys were wrong off the bat. And when you couldn't correct them to your own you got butthurt.

Happens a bit with new posters.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Also: people who say Muay Thai is awesome only seem to think about the athletes that are on the top of their game. They don't come to think of the average Joe, who only does it for the fitness and the thrills of a good exercise, but who does not want to get to the ring, or even might be scared of doing that; he might not even be any good at what he does, but he does it anyway since he likes it.

This goes to show the values that people too often unwittingly commit to when it goes to their preferences in martial arts. I've seen lots of flack against Taido because "it would get you killed in T3H STREETZ" or "it can't win against other styles". This shows a hidden agenda that a real value of any martial arts practice is the superior outcome of a violent encounter, either consensual (a sporting event) or not (civilian protection). Hell, many people like to train martial arts because the practice and the social bonds they form in the activity are meaningful to the individual themselves which, in the context of the society at large, is way more laudable and preferable than a hierarchical pecking order based on a superiority in skills involving physical violence.

Rant over.
I think that the reality is the exact opposite of what you post above.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yep funny how it works. "If it's not in professional fighting then it's no good." The reality is, "It's not what someone else can do with martial arts, it's what I can do with it." Because I'm the one who has to use it, not the professional fighter.
There is plenty of evidence that sports are very effective at developing skills for anyone, at any level. The ceiling might be higher for an elite athlete, but anyone who trains in a sport will develop those skills very efficiently. An elite BJJ athlete will be more skilled than an average Joe black belt. But the average Joe will still be pretty dang good. In fact, the average person training at an average school three times per week for 2 years will follow a very predictable developmental arc.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm saying that the vast majority of humans don't have the genetics to be an olympic athlete. We just have to deal with that and maximize what we have.

I have no idea how that fits in with whatever you're going on about for "let's strive to be mediocre." <shrug>

Nobody either with good genetics or not just becomes an Olympic athlete.

There is so much more involved.

So you may not know if a person has the ability to take their sport to the highest level until you try to do it.

You make it. You don't make it. But you progress either as far as you can or as far as you are willing to sacrifice and see what happens.

The vast majority of humans will not compete in a full contact fight. But you can pretty much take anyone and make them mentally and physically ready.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody either with good genetics or not just becomes an Olympic athlete.

There is so much more involved.

So you may not know if a person has the ability to take their sport to the highest level until you try to do it.

You make it. You don't make it. But you progress either as far as you can or as far as you are willing to sacrifice and see what happens.

The vast majority of humans will not compete in a full contact fight. But you can pretty much take anyone and make them mentally and physically ready.
look! There goes the point!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you have a point or are you just looking for a fight again?

Mostly that you did what you said you can't do and then got butthurt.

But it looks like unsurprisingly you are getting butthurt about that as well.

So my point may as well be. Do you think being so sensitive and also so abrasive is really getting you anywhere?

I mean pick one an make that yours. And feel free to add any content at all to your posts. It will make you seem adult.

Anyway. A person who joins martial arts is generally learning a new skill.

A new skill is creating a whole new part of a person. That is a lifestyle change.

So I can assume that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A new skill is creating a whole new part of a person. That is a lifestyle change.

So I can assume that.
You make a good point, but I think you might be overstating what they are looking for (as opposed to what they're likely to receive). Most folks are looking for something that fits into their existing lifestyle, rather than to change their lifestyle.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You make a good point, but I think you might be overstating what they are looking for (as opposed to what they're likely to receive). Most folks are looking for something that fits into their existing lifestyle, rather than to change their lifestyle.
I get the feeling you guys are defining "lifestyle" differently.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please remember to keep all conversation polite and respectful.

Thank you,

William H
Kempodisciple
MartialTalk Moderator

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why do people learn martial arts?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of different reasons. A few I've run into (some of them have been my own):
  • To learn how to fight (or defend themselves)
  • It sounds like fun
  • To get in better shape
  • It seems cool
  • To expand what they already know (this mostly applies to folks with past training)
  • To share the experience with their SO
  • To compete (which may or may not pair with some of the others)
  • To build self-esteem (usually not a stated goal up front, but some folks report it later)
Some of those would be lifestyle changes. Others are just a thing to do. And some are both (depending how we define "lifestyle").

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mostly that you did what you said you can't do and then got butthurt.

But it looks like unsurprisingly you are getting butthurt about that as well.

So my point may as well be. Do you think being so sensitive and also so abrasive is really getting you anywhere?

I mean pick one an make that yours. And feel free to add any content at all to your posts. It will make you seem adult.

So I can assume that.
Whatever. Go start a fight somewhere else. I don't have the time or inclination.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve tracked this since 2002. Ask everyone who has come in, what is your goal or reason you are looking to train for?
With adults (young to old) overwhelmingly it is to get into better shape. They want a fun workout that gets them into better shape. Secondary is to also learn some self defense along the way.

With kids overwhelmingly the parent/s are wanting something that gets the child off of the couch & doing something physical while building confidence and self esteem, or that helps burn off energy and helps them focus.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve tracked this since 2002. Ask everyone who has come in, what is your goal or reason you are looking to train for?
With adults (young to old) overwhelmingly it is to get into better shape. They want a fun workout that gets them into better shape. Secondary is to also learn some self defense along the way.

With kids overwhelmingly the parent/s are wanting something that gets the child off of the couch & doing something physical while building confidence and self esteem, or that helps burn off energy and helps them focus.
Do not all those reasons at least fall under the veneer of learning to fight though? Otherwise why punches and kicks? Why blocks? Why footwork?

You must admit these things are purposeful activities that don't make a lot of sense with that veneer stripped away.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not all those reasons at least fall under the veneer of learning to fight though? Otherwise why punches and kicks? Why blocks? Why footwork?

You must admit these things are purposeful activities that don't make a lot of sense with that veneer stripped away.
For some folks, it just looks more interesting than tennis.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some folks, it just looks more interesting than tennis.

And of those that do find tennis interesting, how many practice it with no intentions of becoming good at playing tennis I wonder.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of those that do find tennis interesting, how many practice it with no intentions of becoming good at playing tennis I wonder.
You're back to assuming folks enter martial arts for fighting. Some just want to compete in super-light point sparring and forms, or just want to play with some fun body movement. There's really not an analogy in tennis that I can think of.