Is this a Wing Chun punch?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Notice the hip movement. Doesn't resemble a true chain punch.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Notice the hip movement. Doesn't resemble a true chain punch.

Are you referring to a specific time period In the video? If so what time stamp should we be looking at?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have only been shown the chain punch so far. In the beginning of the video when he's moving towards the guy holding the bag he is using a straight punch but with more hip/body movement then I thought was not so common in WC.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sifu looks stiff. Maybe that's just how his lineage is, but from my perspective it appears sloppy.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice power generation at the beginning of the video.

Don't be afraid of a little body rotation. As wckf92 points out, hip movement enters the picture at a chum kiu level, and when you start training the mook. You just want to make sure the point of impact (your fist) doesn't stray too far from your centerline, or you'll sacrifice defensive structure. I'd say he turns his trunk a little more than I would, but I like the way his fists come straight up and out instead of 'bicyling' in a circle the way that so many chain punchers do.

Now at 0:23 he starts pulling back his fists before each punch. Maybe just to show how much he can back up the target shield? I would never chamber back a punch unless my attacker is already incapacitated and I'm finishing him off.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sifu in the OP is one of Ho Kam Ming's top students. When he is doing the chain punches at the beginning you cannot see his lower body. My guess is that he is not doing the typical "chasing step", but rather is doing the "pivot step" from the knife form. This would involve a pivot while advancing forward and so just naturally put more "hip" action and turning of the body into the punches. So definitely a "Wing Chun punch." And I don't think there is anything particularly "sloppy" here. He is trying to show a relaxed power. So he is not clinching his fists when punching in the air. This gives them a bit of a "floppy" quality. But that "floppiness" is what gives his punch that powerful snap that makes his wall bag bounce!

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sifu looks stiff. Maybe that's just how his lineage is, but from my perspective it appears sloppy.

I would guess the appearance of stiffness is a consequence of showing the young dude how hard he can hit. Hopefully he can also dial it back to bypass power.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want to throw

- 6 punches in 1 second, you don't have time to put your hip movement into each and every punch.
- 1 punch in 2 seconds, you can put your full hip movement into it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would guess the appearance of stiffness is a consequence of showing the young dude how hard he can hit. Hopefully he can also dial it back to bypass power.
Yes but in the Wing Chun system(at least most lineages) the power comes from being loose and using body structure rather than clenched muscles. Clenching actually decreases the power.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but in the Wing Chun system(at least most lineages) the power comes from being loose and using body structure rather than clenched muscles. Clenching actually decreases the power.

You probably want to be a pretty solid structure when you connect though.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chain punches can be short and quick giving a burst of overwhelming number of punches or can be slower with greater power generated by the turning of the body more. Both are wing chun. Everything is situational. Use what is needed when it is needed.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, this is an example of a Wing Chun punch. Sifu Lui Ming Fai is illustrating how to generate power by driving the elbow through the hips. I agree with KPM and would not label this interpretation as being "sloppy", it is just simply different relaxed power than what some are used to seeing.

The Wing Chun punch is extremely adaptable once understood properly and does not have to originate from the "in-line" chambered position. A good Wing Chun punch can be released from wherever the hands are at that time. Chain punches are no exception to this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like Wing Chun to me. Except there's nobody arguing in the video. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like Wing Chun to me. Except there's nobody arguing in the video. :)
LOL

It's certainly WC, and Sifu has definitely been at it a while.

Just a harder style than the average WC.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a huge argument with juanny about this. Apparently there is no hip movement.

We we're talking past each other in that conversation as I pointed out then. You were referring to hip movement I was talking about waist rotation, al la a "good night Irene" haymaker etc. It took me a while to figure that out though because, if you recall, I actually am the one who shared this video during the conversation to show that the WC straight punch can generate good power, your contention at the time was that it didn't.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We we're talking past each other in that conversation as I pointed out then. You were referring to hip movement I was talking about waist rotation, al la a "good night Irene" haymaker etc. It took me a while to figure that out though because, if you recall, I actually am the one who shared this video during the conversation to show that the WC straight punch can generate good power, your contention at the time was that it didn't.

The hips are on the waist.

Latest Discussions