Is this a formal boxing straight right hand?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those of you who boxed a long time. Does it look to you like how you were taught a straight right?

I did boxing for a few months before I got side lined with an injury. So I barely scratched the surface and had no privates

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the right basic concept at least. I'd need to see some better footage from some better angles in order to offer any specific corrections or coaching.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the right track. But I agree with Tony need to see clearer footage, angles, lower body (feet) to attempt any real observation.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A punch is to use your body to "push" your arm. Your clip doesn't show that.

How you may punch out your arm is not important. What's important is how you may borrow the counter force from the ground, transfer your power through your back leg, hip, upper body, shoulder, and then reach to your arm.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those of you who boxed a long time. Does it look to you like how you were taught a straight right?

I did boxing for a few months before I got side lined with an injury. So I barely scratched the surface and had no privates

Well if you boxed for a few months you should know how to throw a cross when there’s only 4 punches in boxing

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty good job going out. But that's as dangerous to you as it is to him. You can't pose at the end, your punching arm extended, hanging there.

Try to loosen up some, maybe sit into that stance a little, relax. Loosen your neck, you want to be able to slip and duck. Nice job of keeping your left up.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pretty good job going out. But that's as dangerous to you as it is to him. You can't pose at the end, your punching arm extended, hanging there.

Try to loosen up some, maybe sit into that stance a little, relax. Loosen your neck, you want to be able to slip and duck. Nice job of keeping your left up.

I'm freezing for the purposes of clarity. What do you think about the weight dip? Should I just twist or is a dip good for this particular punch? I mostly see pros KOing without noticable dipping, they just twist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm freezing for the purposes of clarity. What do you think about the weight dip? Should I just twist or is a dip good for this particular punch? I mostly see pros KOing without noticable dipping, they just twist.

You inch forwards as if you are about to start running.

Especially on a lead cross.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This demonstrater dips sort of like I do, others don't

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can punch in 3 different ways:

1. Move your arm, your body just follow (body chase arm).
2. Use your body rotation to push your arm (body push arm).
3. Borrow the counter force from the ground (you need to bend your back leg here), add in your body rotation, and push your arm (body push arm).

For

- power generation, 1 < 2 < 3.
- speed, 3 < 2 < 1.

So in fighting, there is no right or wrong but a trade off between power and speed.

Does anybody know whether boxing uses the "body chase arm" method.

- You throw a non-committed jab.
- If you miss your jab, you just pull your punch back, and try to jab again without adding your body behind your jab (all boxers do this).
- If your jab hit on your opponent's face, you then add your body behind it (not sure all boxers do this).

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This demonstrater dips sort of like I do, others don't

I can't see a dip there but I don't think doing it or not matters that much.

You are doing the dip but not transferring your weight forwards that 10%

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't see a dip there but I don't think doing it or not matters that much.

I have another way of doing it when hitting the bag which I learned from Tyson on youtube and that's to both rotate and side step/dive into the punch so that I get those 10% and it worked!

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I know what you guys are referring to but doesn't that depend on from what range the right hand is thrown at my opponent? You really advocate doing the dive forward at all times and shadow boxing?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about this guy. Most of the executions in that clip, he neglects the forward 10% except for the first two

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you looking for opinion/correction or agreement?
How about this guy. Most of the executions in that clip, he neglects the forward 10% except for the first two

It is a training video. Breaking down the individual pieces. I think you may be looking for the wrong thing at the wrong time.
From what I see that is sound boxer training.
Since you have posited this question spanning several styles I wonder if you are trying to mash them all together and making it more confusing than it has to be.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since you have posited this question spanning several styles I wonder if you are trying to mash them all together and making it more confusing than it has to be.

No I haven't. I posted it in the boxing forum and it is strictly with regards to the sport of Western Boxing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you looking for opinion/correction or agreement?

It is a training video. Breaking down the individual pieces. I think you may be looking for the wrong thing at the wrong time.

After breaking down the individual parts and moving on to one go, he still doesn't do it.

If people who box for a long time insist I should always do the forward 10%, then I'm perfectly open to do so. They would have to explain those types of demos, though.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can punch in 3 different ways:

1. Move your arm, your body just follow (body chase arm).
2. Use your body rotation to push your arm (body push arm).
3. Borrow the counter force from the ground (you need to bend your back leg here), add in your body rotation, and push your arm (body push arm).

For

- power generation, 1 < 2 < 3.
- speed, 3 < 2 < 1.

So in fighting, there is no right or wrong but a trade off between power and speed.

Does anybody know whether boxing uses the "body chase arm" method.

- You throw a non-committed jab.
- If you miss your jab, you just pull your punch back, and try to jab again without adding your body behind your jab (all boxers do this).
- If your jab hit on your opponent's face, you then add your body behind it (not sure all boxers do this).
All of those (and more) can be found in boxing, but 2 & 3 are most foundational.

I know what you guys are referring to but doesn't that depend on from what range the right hand is thrown at my opponent? You really advocate doing the dive forward at all times and shadow boxing?
There is no "always" in boxing. For any rule you might learn in training, you can find footage of a world-class fighter breaking that rule deliberately and successfully. I'd say that the forward weight transfer DB refers to is a really good foundational principle to apply most of the time, but there are definitely situations where you would take a different approach.