Is there any art in which sagging your pants doesn't put you at a severe disadvantage?

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well no, only if he is fighting in a way that a lack gi makes a difference, which will be mostly so for TMA, tight pants will cut your kicking ability down considerably, if his strategy is based on upper body strength then tight pants or very loose pants are not a significant disadvantage

These days, most skinny jeans are made of stretch denim, which is non-restrictive.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
These days, most skinny jeans are made of stretch denim, which is non-restrictive.
no it isnt, stretchy skinny jeans are made for middle aged people who shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans any way and it stretches enough that you can get your fat legs into it and not sufficiently to deliver a head kick, stretchy ness works both ways, it holds you back as well as holds you in as basically you've got strong elastic restricting your movements

but even a pair of normal cut jeans will significant cut your kicking ability coz that's not what they are deigned for and that's if you've not got a pair of smart trouser on

if you want to be '' ready to fight or run'', you need to work your wardrobe around loose fitting combat pants and running shoes, most of the places where im likely to get into a fight wont let me in dressed like that, as they dont really want fight ready people in there

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
no it isnt, stretchy skinny jeans are made for middle aged people who shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans any way and it stretches enough that you can get your fat legs into it and not sufficiently to deliver a head kick, stretchy ness works both ways, it holds you back as well as holds you in as basically you've got strong elastic restricting your movements

but even a pair of normal cut jeans will significant cut your kicking ability coz that's not what they are deigned for and that's if you've not got a pair of smart trouser on

if you want to be '' ready to fight or run'', you need to work your wardrobe around loose fitting combat pants and running shoes, most of the places where im likely to get into a fight wont let me in dressed like that, as they dont really want fight ready people in there

There's a tiny little problem with loose fitting clothing. What if the person you're fighting is a grappler? Even if they're untrained and they have an inclination to grapple rather than strike, but especially if they're trained in grappling, that loose fitting clothing isn't doing you any favors.

I'm not suggesting that one wear tight clothing either. Your best best is going to be something in between.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a tiny little problem with loose fitting clothing. What if the person you're fighting is a grappler? Even if they're untrained and they have an inclination to grapple rather than strike, but especially if they're trained in grappling, that loose fitting clothing isn't doing you any favors.

I'm not suggesting that one wear tight clothing either. Your best best is going to be something in between.
it does seem unlikely they will grab you by the loose fitting clothing around your groin |!

if you want to go for the full effect wear a heavy gauge nylon bomber jacket as favoured by door men round here, they are extremely difficult to get purchase on or a really cheap tshirt that comes off in their hands, either are good

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
it does seem unlikely they will grab you by the loose fitting clothing around your groin |!

Fighting is a chaotic thing, and people will grab whatever they can.

The other problem with loose fitting clothing is that if an emergency situation arises and you need to hurry up and leave in quick manner, there's a greater risk of the clothing getting caught on something.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It lacks practical utility. Then again, so do high heels and plenty of people wear them anyway. A lot of people don’t build their wardrobes around fist fighting.

Also very important is the ability to remain "grey," and dressing to that end.

Hell, I wear a necktie to work everyday and that’d be terrible in a fight.

I don't build my wardrobe around fighting, but I do build it around utility, freedom of movement, and the ability to move long distances on foot if need be. I even keep a pair of old boots from when I was in the Air Force in the trunk of my vehicle, just in case I have to abandon it and there's a possibility that I may have to move over rough terrain.

To the extent possible, this is what I would highly recommend to anyone.

I'm highly confident that what I wear specifically for these purposes more or less also translates to fighting.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It lacks practical utility. Then again, so do high heels and plenty of people wear them anyway. A lot of people don’t build their wardrobes around fist fighting.

Hell, I wear a necktie to work everyday and that’d be terrible in a fight.
To add bit to your point, most people are not obsessed with martial arts the way we who hang around in martial arts forums tend to be. I know that’s a shock, but it’s true. We really are in the minority on this topic. While I personally tend to consider how a new pair of jeans might restrict my movement, and make purchases with that issue at least partially informing my decision, most people do not. And for good reason: most of us can get through life with few or no fighting. So people choose the fashion that appeals to them. Making sure an outfit is practical in case of a physical altercation just doesn’t need to be a priority for most people. Not much more to it than that.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Another thing I'll add is staying "grey." Dressing for things that may or may not happen does not mean doing all your clothes shopping at 5.11. Wearing tactical looking clothing will likely make you a target.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting is a chaotic thing, and people will grab whatever they can.

The other problem with loose fitting clothing is that if an emergency situation arises and you need to hurry up and leave in quick manner, there's a greater risk of the clothing getting caught on something.
like what 3exactly, yes if your fighting in a thorn Bush, no just about anywhere else I can think of,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing I'll add is staying "grey." Dressing for things that may or may not happen does not mean doing all your clothes shopping at 5.11. Wearing tactical looking clothing will likely make you a target.
well maybe, maybe not, it depends how tactical you make the tactical clothing look, if you look like a milartary grade contractor or a bouncer for that matter most sensible people will give you a wide pass, if you look like a,silly old fool in fancy dress it can work against you

if I put my bouncer jacket on and stand outside a pub, people ask me if they can come in, so that seems to work

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well maybe, maybe not, it depends how tactical you make the tactical clothing look, if you look like a milartary grade contractor or a bouncer for that matter most sensible people will give you a wide pass, if you look like a,silly old fool in fancy dress it can work against you

if I put my bouncer jacket on and stand outside a pub, people ask me if they can come in, so that seems to work

Well, the idea behind being grey is that in addition to not looking vulnerable, you don't want to look like a threat either. The latter is what I was getting at with wearing tactical looking clothing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the idea behind being grey is that in addition to not looking vulnerable, you don't want to look like a threat either. The latter is what I was getting at with wearing tactical looking clothing.
why don't you want to look like a threat, if they find you threatning they are most unlikely to attack you

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes that was the subtext of the above joke, but thank for explaining it to me

No problem. As you have apparently noticed, I find your British humour way too subtle. Goes right over my head, ya know. It's a Yank thing. Rather like our politicians, we like our "humor" to be lowbrow and OBVIOUS! :)

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
why don't you want to look like a threat, if they find you threatning they are most unlikely to attack you

That depends. If a criminal intends to commit an act where it's possible for someone to stop him, he'll likely try to remove the threats first. This is a common argument when debating open-carry firearms. Or in the case of a natural or man-made disaster where survival will drive some people to take from others, people are going to do what they can to avoid falling victim.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another thing I'll add is stayiAbout MartialTalkng "grey." Dressing for things that may or may not happen does not mean doing all your clothes shopping at 5.11. Wearing tactical looking clothing will likely make you a target.

Hey, I got some great clothes at that place. A bit pricey, but quite comfortable and really not all "tactical" looking ...except for the name on the label.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That depends. If a criminal intends to commit an act where it's possible for someone to stop him, he'll likely try to remove the threats first. This is a common argument when debating open-carry firearms. Or in the case of a natural or man-made disaster where survival will drive some people to take from others, people are going to do what they can to avoid falling victim.
looking fierce, is a well establish defence strategy in the natral world, where as preditors tend to try and blend in so they can get close enough to strik

I supose if someone is running a mock with a machine gun looking like you have a gun, might move you up the list, if every looks like they have a gun, they may well go somewhere else

but guns aren't really an issue here, so I dont usualy concern myself with them

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
where as preditors tend to try and blend in so they can get close enough to strik

For me, blending in is the most important thing. And not for predatory purposes, but to avoid drawing attention.

One thing that separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is the ability to use tools and technology. In this case, as weapons which serve as equalizers. So looking threatening will have different effects.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me, blending in is the most important thing. And not for predatory purposes, but to avoid drawing attention.

One thing that separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is the ability to use tools and technology. In this case, as weapons which serve as equalizers. So looking threatening will have different effects.
no some animals are quite adept at using tools, they do seem to have trouble with chop sticks

if your in a bad area andlots if people look threatening, then looking threatning is blending in

D

Deleted member 39746

Generally speaking, one doesnt wear formal clothes to work in, and there are formal work clothes. Like the edwardian peroid suit were pretty common, but the working form of that fashion was waist coats and boots. * Granted its diffrent to modern suit fashion anyway. You dont generally expect to do any form of menial labour in a suit and they are made that way now days. There are sort of some utilitarian clothes that are meant to look good, like some companies make cargo trousers for "tactical" use but they look like dress trousers, or not like BDU's, so thats the sort of wear you may want if you are working secuitty in public eye/there is a expectation to look smart as you work but its a physical labour one.

We can probbly go next for dressing for percived notions of smartness or comfort. People without a uniform expectation would fall into either of those catergoires, and how practical it is, entirely relies on what they do, their views on fashion and comfort. But the same logic applies more formal and fancy clothing isnt work wear so isnt movable in. I think someone ended up doing their legs in because they did lifting in skinny jeans and i dont recall if they had swelling before or after, but the swelling had nowhere to go. I generally dress in relaxed clothing so my general clothing choices are at least applicable to labour and thus fighting. There is a big popularity in sports wear as fashion wear in england at least, so it may be fancy clothing in comparision to normal sports wear but its at least cut like it so enabled more movement than a suit would.

*The suits were probbly cut diffrently to now, and cut diffrent to what you were doing. (suit is to mean shirt as well)

Latest Discussions