Is there an effective beginner friendly martial art that fits my mentality?

OP
M

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
JRE Greatest Hits
Apr 7, 2023

UFC Bantamweight Mixed Martial Artist, Cory Sandhagen, teaches Joe Rogan the approach to MMA Striking, Stance, managing distance and controlling range that helped in his recent fight against Chito Vera.

"I think that there's things that are happening in striking matches that are not very digestible. There's space, there's position and then there's your advantages. I hear people talk about rhythm all the time. Rhythm is just closing space, going away from space, closing space going away from space. Space is key. Because, striking happens with your eyes. Striking is like we're playing this game, like “hey hit my hand” and I'm moving it around. That's why switching stances work so well. We can get into that in a little bit. But, space is your reaction time. Because, striking happens with your eyes. Instead of grappling if someone's leaning into me, I have the proprioception to feel they're leaning into me, let me move like this. It doesn't happen with your eyes. In striking, it happens with your eyes. I see your punches come in I know to block. So, the more space I have and the better I can maintain and control space or manipulate space by closing it quickly or using it at the same time, you close I close where I could be twice as fast, the more success I'm going to have. So, for example, I just don't think that people are understanding space in a way where it's your reaction time…"

The more space you have between you and your opponent the more time you have to react to their movements. This is why some people prefer to just rush in and make it so they don't have time to react to anything and will go so far as to consider it cowardly to play the spacing game.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's because you haven't learned them yet.
Gotta disagree here. I have at least a dozen reasons why I left my last dojo and moved to the current one, and the kobudo requirement at my last dojo was one of them. At my last dojo, a brown belt in kobudo was a requirement to test for black belt in karate. IMO, if kobudo is going to be a requirement (I don't think it should be), then at least do it the way Isshin-ryu does, and make it part of the karate curriculum instead of separating it.

Getting back to the point: kobudo class was held once a week, after the adult karate that you're already completely exhausted from. The only reason most students even showed up for kobudo is because of the requirement. I don't remember anyone having an intrinsic desire to be there.

Why do we train kobudo, when we're never going to carry any of those weapons on our person? I'm not buying the argument that being proficient in kobudo translates to being able to use "anything" as weapon. There are no nunchaku, sai, tonfa, or kama-like objects laying on the ground (no, a chain is not "nunchaku-like").

There might be bo-like objects laying on the ground, but they're not likely to be heavy or hard enough to be of much use (I personally received my last spanking at around 13 or 14, when my mother realized that a whacking with a broomstick wasn't doing much to me).

I don't want this to turn into an argument about the merits of kobudo training, so I'll just say this: learning kobudo doesn't necessarily make you a believer.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta disagree here. I have at least a dozen reasons why I left my last dojo and moved to the current one, and the kobudo requirement at my last dojo was one of them. At my last dojo, a brown belt in kobudo was a requirement to test for black belt in karate. IMO, if kobudo is going to be a requirement (I don't think it should be), then at least do it the way Isshin-ryu does, and make it part of the karate curriculum instead of separating it.

Getting back to the point: kobudo class was held once a week, after the adult karate that you're already completely exhausted from. The only reason most students even showed up for kobudo is because of the requirement. I don't remember anyone having an intrinsic desire to be there.

Why do we train kobudo, when we're never going to carry any of those weapons on our person? I'm not buying the argument that being proficient in kobudo translates to being able to use "anything" as weapon. There are no nunchaku, sai, tonfa, or kama-like objects laying on the ground (no, a chain is not "nunchaku-like").

There might be bo-like objects laying on the ground, but they're not likely to be heavy or hard enough to be of much use (I personally received my last spanking at around 13 or 14, when my mother realized that a whacking with a broomstick wasn't doing much to me).

I don't want this to turn into an argument about the merits of kobudo training, so I'll just say this: learning kobudo doesn't necessarily make you a believer.
I'm not saying that every weapon besides a staff and a knife are useful. Only that those are not the only two useful weapons. Most of my kobudo training does not translate all that well to implements you find lying around, but my fencing and stick training do. There's also training with a cane in bataireacht that, while I haven't trained it, seems pretty useful.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of my kobudo training does not translate all that well to implements
Mostly true, but some does. Also, kobudo training is useful for emphasizing some biomechanics. But overall, kobudo is like a koryu in that it carries on historical tradition.

Why did it become a part of some Okinawan karate systems? I think because of two reasons: 1) Some of the old 19th century masters who were employed as security agents by the king were also trained in some weapons. 2) Some 20th century masters saw that adopting some limited kobudo was a way to preserve and pass on the art.

Kobudo as a distinct art does exist, primarily in the Matayoshi and Ryuuku (Taira Shinken) systems and have a full curriculum of kata and belt system. They go well beyond the scope of basic bo, sai, tonfa, kama and nunchaku commonly found in karate systems, going into more depth, and also get into more esoteric weapons such as shield & spear, eku (oar), weighted chain and several others.

(

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
However, my studies have made it clear what styles of fighting click with me. Styles like Outboxing, Counterstriking, Hapkido, Destreza, Bartitsu, Fighters like Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather...
A recent JKD demonstration by Hiro Watanabe, Ted Wong lineage. Click CC for English.

“He focused on fencing and boxing to develop martial arts which is practical in street fights. He considered those two to be the most practical. He studied two of them further.”

kuro-obi world
Apr 18, 2024

Latest Discussions