Is there a distinction between the "Agricultural Bolo" and the "Fighting Bolo"?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have done some independent research on the Bolo from the Philippines. Professor Presas gave me one in 95’. He said it was his family design. Naturally, this caused me to become very interested in the applications of the tool. I got some pieces from Professor, and I have done my own historical research. Now, Master at Arms Bram Frank has an instructional Bolo DVD set out. To date, I have not seen this video. However, I am writing this to collaborate with what has been said so far regarding the differences between the “Agricultural Bolo” and the “Fighting Bolo.” What I have found is that both historically speaking and technically speaking, the tools are different. I have also found that “Modern Arnis” contains martial applications that distinctly fit with applying the “Fighting Bolo.”

#1. Physical Applications: I was able to piece together what from my knowledge of Modern Arnis, and what I was told, some of the blade applications of the art. I don’t claim expertise on the Presas “family style”, the original bolo fighting style from Remy’s uncle and grandfather, but I will say that I know enough bits and pieces to have an informed opinion. How informed…well, ask me in person then you can decide. Anyways, it sounds like, by description of Bram’s DVD's alone, and by some of what Bram and others have said online, that the Bolo DVD’s will probably be right on par with Modern Arnis/Presas family style applications of the Bolo. When I see it for myself, I’ll let you know more.

#2. Historical references: There are clear historical references that also back up what Bram is saying about the “Presas Jungle fighting Bolo.” Now…don’t get too caught up in the semantics of “Jungle fighting Bolo.” This seems to be Bram’s name for the tool rather then a historical reference. I am almost certain that in the Filipino languages, linguistically the distinction between one bolo to the next is not made. However, there are clear distinctions between the agricultural bolo, or machete that was used to navigate through the jungle, and a bolo that was used for “fighting.” These distinctions are in design and application, rather then by language.

A Machete, or agricultural Bolo, was used for cutting down foliage. Therefore, the blade was more top heavy and the tip was rounded. It was top heavy so that you could use your momentum to swing the tool, saving your arms from tiring in a days work. The tip was rounded to prevent breakage if you hit a tree, or something with a bit of resilience. You can see in pictures of old Machetes in the America’s, and bolo’s in the PI, and read about their history to get an idea on their design. A trip to the library will give you some more reliable references, but here is some info online…

http://www.vikingsword.com/rila/

This is particularly important, taken from the link above:

“The machete as used in the jungles of America is entirely distinct in its method of wielding from the edged weapons of Europe, swords, cutlasses, and sabers, which are held with the whole hand and all the fingers in what may be called the thrusting grip or the hammer grip depending on whether the wrist is dropped or not, so that the line of the weapon is either at right angles or in line with the axis of the lower arm. The machete is, instead, held loosely between the thumb and first finger and allowed to pivot in the hand through a large arc, thus slicing its way through the soft, herbaceous vegetation common in the American tropics and that of the Pacific Islands. Deep in the tropical jungles of the Amazon basin, the machete is the only modern implement found in the camps of otherwise Stone Age Indio cultures.
Compare the machete with the native tools of jungly South East Asia, and the Indonesian archipelago, where the tool-weapons such as the parang, the golok, bolo, and barong are wielded with a full hand-chopping grip which is needed to cut through the woody vegetation of that area. The nortemericano and his European ancestors used axes instead of one-handed tools for heavy cutting.”

Now, notice the look of the machete and agricultural Bolo’s, as they are distinctly different then these Bolo’s here:

http://pt-go.com/popup.asp?ImagePath=images/Legacy3.jpg

What is the difference? Well, first of all, the “fighting bolo” has a completely different tip then the agricultural bolo. It comes to a sharp, almost clip, point. This is designed for thrusting, and “back-cut” applications, recognizable in it’s most basic sense from Modern Arnis angle 6-7 and 10-11. Another difference is that the “fighting bolo” is not top-heavy. This is not as well fitted for heavy fieldwork and agricultural chopping, but is very well fitted for fighting and maneuvering against an opponent. Another difference is that the back of the blade (and sides, for that matter) is resilient and hard, designed for absorbing strikes and blocking/deflecting another blade. This is very much unlike the agricultural tools. The last very noticeable difference is the hilt. The agricultural tools do not have a hilt designed for protecting the hand against another blade, while the fighting tools do.

So, it is clear that the agricultural bolo and the fighting bolo are distinctly different, and have distinctly different purposes. You can see in the Modern Arnis “pink book” pictures of the bolo battalions, and the bolo’s that they carry, and you can clearly see that their bolos are NOT the agricultural tools, but rather are the tools designed for fighting that you see in the above picture.

For more info on Filipino scouts, check here: http://www.philippine-scouts.org/History/Photos/american_historical.html I linked this page specifically because you can see that many of the men carried the fighting bolo’s, although it is often hard to see the detail.

Where might the difference between the PI fighting Bolo, and the agricultural bolo’s come from? Sit back….my theory…

Note a picture of the Filipino Fighting Bolo’s close up:

http://www.gunting-museum.com/CSSD-SC_Weapons/Bolo_Set/bolo_set.html

Now…look at the similarities between the Bolo and the Spanish Saber:

http://www.therionarms.com/sold/ttoy424.html

Now look at the similarities between the famed “Bowie knife” and the Bolo. The theory is that the “bowie knife” design was based off the saber, but modified for field use. Go half way down this page:

http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/bowie.html

The main difference between the Spanish Saber and the Bowie is that the Saber is clearly used for sword dueling, and the bowie is clearly used for field use, but could be used for defense, and saber fighting techniques could apply to the bowie. Now…if you look at the similarities between the Bolo and the Saber, one can see that it is not far fetched that the fighting bolo was an agricultural bolo modified for fighting based off the Spanish saber. The main similarity that you can find is with the tip; that clip point designed for thrusting and ripping into the opponent.

A short while ago, a member of my group came by with a “Bagwell Bowie” knife. He had done some western martial arts and Bowie fighting seminars. The similarities between what he learned from the western methods and what I knew from the Presas Bolo/Modern Arnis methods are too similar to not be tied together somehow. Things such as tip control, “defanging the snake,” angles of attack, and other applications are very similar, at least conceptually… to similar for it to be a mere coincidence, in my professional opinion. If you do Modern Arnis, look here and see if you can find the similarities, and think especially of the traditionals, angle of attacking methods, as well as the #5 and #12 umbrella blocks. Oh…and remember to think conceptually:

http://ahfaa.org/saber.htm

Now, to clear the air here, I am certain that the Philippines have their own cultural martial arts that make them unique. Major differences can be seen in Filipino arts from Western Arts. However, so can major similarities, and these similarities are so different that it seems impossible that they would be mere coincidences. I think that to say that the Spanish fighting methods did NOT influence the Filipino methods after hundreds of years of conflict and occupation would be a bit hasty, in my opinion. I believe that both cultures influenced each other. Some evidence to this is in the methods and design of the “fighting bolo.”

Conclusions

There are many things one can conclude from this short essay. Perhaps the fighting Bolo was influenced from the Spanish Saber. Perhaps, far down the cultural line, Spanish fencing played a role in the development of the Presas Bolo style. Perhaps, these are only theories. However, the one thing that is for sure is that the “Agricultural Bolo” and the “Fighting Bolo” clearly are different tools, with different designs, made for different uses. Would it be far fetched to believe that somewhere in Modern Arnis these uses could be found? I think that it would be far fetched to say for sure that they couldn’t.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a distinction between the "Agricultural Bolo" and the "Fighting Bolo"?

Ummm..one is used for farming and the other is used for fighting???

;)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never knew what a bolo was until I read your article. Very interesting. Thank you.

- Ceicei

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

interesting text. But regarding the fighting and agricultural bolos in the Philippines - yes and no.

I have rummaged in my store room, where I have my old things that I got sometimes from the Philippines and elswhere, and I found a few bolos.

See the picture here.
Bolos-klein.jpg

A is the Presas bolo from Bram. I cannot guarantee for the right size compared to the pictures of my Bolos, but I have tried to give it the size, that I felt it was when I held it in comparison. Perhaps someone can give me the exact lengh, then I can adapt it.

Anyway, B is a Bolo that I bought in 1983 on a market at a "hardwarestore" where they sold knives, bolos and Machetes, somewhere in a Province in the Philippines, I think it was in Legazpi (South-eastern Luzon). It is clearly an "agricultural bolo", not by description, but simply, because all farmers in that area wore a bolo like that. A farming tool.

Bolos C and D I got from Dionisio Canete around 1988. They only differ in size. I cannot imagine, that the Canetes sell agricultural Bolos. But, I don´t know, I have never heared this distinction in the Philippines.

I have hjust added another bolo - E - the Inayan bolo, used by Mike Inay. Easy to see, that it is almost the same as the Presas bolo: a "fighting bolo".

The stick is only fore size comparison.

Anyway, let us compare these Bolos to what Paul wrote:

B has clearly a very similar shape as the Presas Bolo, it has a small tip and is in addition very light. From this facts, it is a fighting bolo. But it does not have a hilt, which makes it an agricultural Bolo. It came with a very light wooden sheath, which was tied with a thin cord around the waist.

C and D have clearly a roundet tip and they are very heavy at the head, which would classify them as agricultural bolos. But they do have a hilt, what would make them a fighting bolo. The came in a heavy leather sheath.
In addition the were sold by the Canetes, a famous Eskrima group in Cebu, which would make it for a normal customer a fighting bolo per se. No one would assume that a stick and swordfighting club would sell agricultural tools.

This cannot be a generalisation, because I only have a few bolos, but as a conclusion I would say, that Paul is theoretically right and the Presas bolo has all the attributes that a "fighting bolo" needs, but that today nobody really cares about these features and the blacksmiths make what they like or the shape the customers order.

But this is only a supposition.

Regards from Germany

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting points. I would just like to add that not ALL "agricultural" bolos are tip heavy. Some do have more of a point, perhaps used for killing pigs, or other tasks.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Interesting points. I would just like to add that not ALL "agricultural" bolos are tip heavy. Some do have more of a point, perhaps used for killing pigs, or other tasks.

I've never heard the terms used to explain the difference between the two as "agricultural" or "fighting" but rather "tusok" (thrusting) or "tabak" (cutting/chopping). As far as what came first, chicken or the egg? I would guess the tusok was better suited for combat, thus adapted for fighting over the tabak, even though you still see tabak style in combat. meaning to say, I think these styles of bolos were already around and a special style wasn't created just for fighting until the fighters started requesting bladesmiths for modifications. Keep in mind, predating the bolo were kampilan, barong, pinuti, gununting all considered fighting blades over the bolo.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
RP's father was a PI commisioned officer working with US forces, the "Family design" could be something that his father standardized for his PI soldiers as a general issue item during operations. Or, RP's Grandfather was an old guerilla warhorse in his own right according to myth, perhaps the family design was again a pattern design that was mass produced for resistance fighters back in his day and survived as a point of pride.

Isn't the RP family design also known as a Negrito Bolo?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dieter,

Nice pics, and thanks for the input.

Nothing you've linked actually contradicts what I said, though.

The fighting bolo's generally have a "clip point." the Presas bolo has a much less drastic clip point then the Canete's bolo. In fact, the clip on the Presas Bolo is very suttle, but you can see it if you have the sheath off better. The Canete's bolo looks a bit more top heavy (which makes sense given there fighting style) and therefore the clip point is more drastic. The Inayan Bolo looks like it may have a clip point...but barely.... it is hard to tell with his knife, as it looks like if there is a clip then it is even more suttle then the Presas bolo.

As to the agricultural tool, it does not have a clip point, but a drop point; and as you said, no hilt designed to protect the hand. Now, as arnisandyz mentioned, this could have been used for slaughtering animals, or other such tasks that might need a point. It doesn't look designed for cutting folige, as the machete's I linked were designed for.

Now, as with anything, there are no "absolutes" with this. I am sure you could find someone working with a blade designed for combat, and I am sure you can fight with a blade designed for field work. I am sure that there are different designs that people get and use today regardless of what the original purpose of the design was. However, one thing is true, is that the 2 types of blade tips that were originally specifically designed for fighting rather then field work are the "Tanto" tip, designed from Japanese swords, and the "Clip point" designed from the European/Spanish swords. You will find that your Filipino fighting blades, very much like the Bowie knife, utilize the clip point.

PAUL

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Dieter,

You will find that your Filipino fighting blades, very much like the Bowie knife, utilize the clip point.

PAUL

Hey Paul,

Is the Presas Bolo sharpened on the back of the clip point blade? Its hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks

Andy

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

what is a clip point? Do you mean that the tip points upwards?

Here a picture of Das Inosantos book "Filipino Martial Arts". It

WWII-bolo.jpg

It shows the fighting bolo of WW2 without hilt and I think, it is exactly the same as my B, the "agricultural bolo". So according to that, no clip point, whatever that is.

I think the tusok (thrusting) and tabak (cutting) differenciation makes more sense that "fighting" and "agricultural".
In a fight it does make sense, to cut someones arm off as well as stabbing into the heart.

But I think it is an academic discussion anyway. Use each blade according to their function, no matter if "agricultural" or "fighting"

I will write to the Philippines and ask the Modern Arnis Masters there.

Regards

Dieter

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dieter said:
what is a clip point?

quick search on the web...

- The Clip Point
A great all-around format and one of the most popular, it's used on everything from the famous Buck 110 folder, to the Randall #1 fighter, to most bowies. The format has a concave or straight cut-out at the tip (the "clip"). This makes the point sharper, and also lowers it for more control. Clip point blades usually also provide plenty of belly.

The tip is controllable and sharp, and the belly provides good slicing/slashing, and so this format is popular on formats from utility knives to camp knives to fighters to hunting knives.

- The Drop Point
Another great all-around format, this pattern is used on many knives but is most popular on hunters. The tip is lowered (dropped) via a convex arc from the spine. This lowers the point for great controllability. The point retains great strength. Most drop point patterns also retain plenty of belly.

Due to the very controllable point, this pattern is very popular on hunting knives, where it's important to keep the point from nicking an organ. The inclusion of plenty of belly makes it a good slicer and slasher. This format is also popular on utility knives and even fighters, where the strong point can hold up to heavy use. The point on a drop point usually won't be quite as sharp as that on a clip-point, but will be stronger.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Notice the overlap? Clip Points can also be used as utility/camp knives and Drop points can also be used as fighters.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
I've never heard the terms used to explain the difference between the two as "agricultural" or "fighting" but rather "tusok" (thrusting) or "tabak" (cutting/chopping). As far as what came first, chicken or the egg? I would guess the tusok was better suited for combat, thus adapted for fighting over the tabak, even though you still see tabak style in combat. meaning to say, I think these styles of bolos were already around and a special style wasn't created just for fighting until the fighters started requesting bladesmiths for modifications. Keep in mind, predating the bolo were kampilan, barong, pinuti, gununting all considered fighting blades over the bolo.

As I also mentioned... there probably aren't linguistic differences between the two. It would make more sense that the tools would be linguistically seperated by purpose (Tusok or tabak) rather then "fighting" or "not fighting."

And, thinking of the different PI blades you mentioned...

Kampilan: Resembles the arabic scimitar. THis would make sense, as it was donned by seafaring Moro's.
Barong: Doesn't resemble anything I could find in history...design seems completely native to the PI/islander peoples.
Pinuti: Isn't this basically a Bolo, but Visiyan? Interestingly the one they sell at Kris cutlery is a "1800's design" and resemblesa fighting bolo.
Gununting: Hmmm...resembles some arabic blades as well, but not sure.

The reason I am thinking of these, is because you mention that they predate the bolo, and were used as fighting tools. I am not in disagreement with you (except I thought pinuti was just a visiyan bolo), but I find it difficult to get history on these...especially exact dates. I was wondering if you had any good resources for me.

PAUL

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Notice the overlap? Clip Points can also be used as utility/camp knives and Drop points can also be used as fighters.
The heavy point/clip point bolo is more conducive to chopping motions with lots of swing room and for large jobs.

The thinner drop point or even upturned thrusting point bolo is more conducive to slicing motions and tight space work on smaller objects.

I would imagine that the RP/Negrito bolo was more functional in the jungle environment/small produce farming demands. It would also be a good tool for the Ocho Ocho style of RP's Grandfather because of the medio/corto cutting pattern of continuous slicing/redirecting.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Hey Paul,

Is the Presas Bolo sharpened on the back of the clip point blade? Its hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks

Andy

No...at least mine is not sharpened on the back of the clip! :uhyeah: However, I found through target practice and "bit's and pieces" that because of the suttle clip, you can still deliver a nasty backcut/stab.

:asian:

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I got it. Do you mean a little sharp edge on the tip/back of the blade?

If yes, blade B has not got that, ans I am not sure about the Presas bolo or the Inayan bolo either.

Regards

Dieter

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
The heavy point/clip point bolo is more conducive to chopping motions with lots of swing room and for large jobs.

The thinner drop point or even upturned thrusting point bolo is more conducive to slicing motions and tight space work on smaller objects.

I would imagine that the RP/Negrito bolo was more functional in the jungle environment/small produce farming demands. It would also be a good tool for the Ocho Ocho style of RP's Grandfather because of the medio/corto cutting pattern of continuous slicing/redirecting.

I'm a bit confused. isn't a drop point considered to be stronger than a clip point? Could the drop point design be almost a compromise? Adding the thrusting ability to the bolo while still maintaining chopping ability?

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

have a look at this link here.

Then scroll down to the middle, Plat 12

There they have a variety of bolos, all different shapes.

Regards

Dieter

Latest Discussions