Is "The Perfect Weapon" movie a good example of Kenpo?

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did someone say they are going to start a thread about Southern California? That would be good... If anyone is in the San Diego area you might look-up Grandmaster Kuoha (Kara-Ho Kempo) as he is in the El Cajon area- Those of us who live nearby are fortunate enough to train at his home Dojo :) and it is worth mentioning that along with Kempo, he is an OUTSTANDING cook! In Kara-Ho we train hard and eat a LOT, as it should be!

I think Southern CA. in general is a hot-bed for martial arts especially Kempo/Kenpo... MANY good schools/styles and teachers!

At Mr. Tatums school does he teach the regular classes, or does someone else teach most of them?

As for "The Perfect Weapon", when I saw that movie I was new to Kempo/Kenpo and had only studied TKD so I thought it was pretty impressive and different- The scenes at the dojo when the kid is growing up are pretty cool.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i was unfortunate to visit SCA and NCA and met people in the past. There are a lot of known KEMPO/KENPO martial artists in North CA.

Sure, we have some fine kempo/kenpo-ists in SCA but these numbers are small .

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jdub1107 said:
Hmm... Maybe I'll start at Jeffcoat's studio then move on to Tatum's later on? Although I imagine one would want to stick with the same instructor after building a bond over the years. Seems I'll have to visit Tatum's school and see how it is.

Sounds like a good plan. Mr. Jeffcoat can teach you good, solid basics--and more. When you are ready for the technical details beyond what he can teach, you can always move up if you desire.

- Ceicei

OP
L

lonekimono10

well i was going to say that i liked the movie, and all that stuff but it's still a movie, and jeff is a good friend and a great kenpo man, now what is all this talk about kenpo teaches on the west coast?? thought this was about the movie?? are we a little off track:idunno:

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jdub1107 said:
I'm new to martial arts and have decided to take Kenpo on. I live in around Pasadena, in Southern CA and active in my search for a good Kenpo Dojo.
He stated from the start that he is looking for a good school in CA, hence the suggestions regarding teachers, so no, we aren't of track. Just trying to help the guy find a good place to learn.

OP
L

lonekimono10

everyone knows that he has his pick(and i don't mean mike) where he is from.
i was just having a little fun, i'm sorry about that. hope you fine a good school.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Kempo moves will vary from school to school. When finding a kempo school it is very important to see how and when class are run.

One, find the teacher you like (may have to visit a few places)

If cost is a factor than maybe you can work something out (cleaning the place,etc, reduce cost)

Driving distance and time this cost will add up quickly. Closer to home the better. Easy to get yourself there and back.

Most important you must like the instructions and other students. Are they friendly and helpful?

Trust your instincts on this one.......go with the "gut" feelings inside of you, when choosing a martial art school. .............Good luck..Aloha

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for "The Perfect Weapon", when I saw that movie I was new to Kempo/Kenpo and had only studied TKD so I thought it was pretty impressive and different- The scenes at the dojo when the kid is growing up are pretty cool.

I think the best part of that movie was him spin kicking and getting new belts everytime.

Truly a great MA movie from the 1990s. Best of the Best is still my personal favorite though. :)

Latest Discussions