Is the ITF Cultish?

OP
B

Bagatha

I dont fully agree with that definition of a cult. A cult is not always something profoundly negative. Anyone who goes to church/temple is involved with a cult as far as I am concerned.

Originally posted by white belt
When General Choi sightings start, then the ITF will classify as a cult. I was involved with a real MA cult over 20 years ago. The ITF, of which I am not a member, is just trying to follow tradition from what I have seen. A cult wants to take over your finances and severe your ties with outside influences such as family. Anyone seen these two things from the ITF?

white belt

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've always followed the Blue Oyster Cult. They're not all bad. "Agents of Fortune" rocks! :)

So, Bagatha there is an example of a "good" cult. Do you think the ITF is a cult? I haven't seen any signs myself. You are a member, no?

I think the original question denotes a connotation of negativity, as in closed minded. The original thread starter could jump in here and clarify for us!

Elvis has a cult following. A few Sociologists have even predicted that Elvis will be the start of a new religion in the near future. They cite the patterns of other religions that have evolved. Being seen after death, pilgrimages to his dwelling and birth place, etc. Church of the Big Hair. Hound Dogs, instead of Cows, would be sacred. The Ministers would all wear white jumpsuits and blue suede shoes.
Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches as sacrament. No "Amen" just "Ahow, Ahow"! When services end, the ministers would shout "Elvis has left the building!". Bad cult?

What would the ITF TKD version be?

:)
white belt

OP
B

Bagatha

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
- cul·tic /'k&l-tik/ adjective
- cult·ish /-tish/ adjective
- cult·ish·ly /-lE/ adverb
- cult·ish·ness /-n&s/ noun
- cult·ism /'k&l-"ti-z&m/ noun
- cult·ist /'k&l-tist/ noun
- cult·like /-"lIk/ adjective

OP
B

Bagatha

^^ Yeah I think its cultish. For the most part.

I mean some people practically worship the founders every word. I dont personally, and alot of people dont. I mean people who have read his autobiography usually see 1 of 2 things.

a. A true mans man filled with wisdom, courage, devotion, and valor.

OR

b. A small man both literally and figuratively who acted in his adulthood what he missed out on as a child, being a little spoiled bully.

Most people I think see choice "a".

The first thing you are taught is how great General Choi is. At the very least, when you walk out that door after the first day of training, you know who created TKD. Its bred into you, almost like a brainwashing. "General Choi is great" ,"TKD is the most scientific MA in the world", "Black belts are gods". (being sarcastic here but the point remains.) The protocol itself is very cultish in nature, as someone mentioned previously. Beyond the bowing, it dictates when you can and cant speak, stand, sit, etc. Right down to the way you clink glasses after a toast. The world revolves around the senior belt. What an ego trip that must be LOL.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mmm... Seems that cult in current usage tends to favor my definition more. (Shrug) After Heaven's Gate, Jonestown etc, most don't appreciate being lumped into the same category simply because they elect to do something like sit on an uncomfortable wooden bench for an hour per week, so the term's diverging from what the derivation was when people were pulling context from books in 1950 etc.

That aside, I still don't see the ITF being especially cultish, at least in comparison to say, Republicans who follow the strict party line without thinking, Shotokan practitioners who idolize their founder etc. There's that element in any organization, and more often than not, they're the ones that are politically motivated and end up in positions of power (and thusly cause annoying issues like splits.) ;)

IMO a MA cult is better described by that place that claims to let people train there for three years "free". (Budo House was it?) Rather than a collection of people who are a tad too enamored with their particular organization.

Was funny to see how catty the ITF folks got on a few ITF mailing lists towards the USTF once it broke away tho.