Is Tae Kwon Do useful

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The funny thing about this thread is that it is a 8 year old thread...
:rofl: I just found this funny. Who brought this backup in the first place? Someone had to do some deep digging to revive this thread.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the only way that TKD is not useful and can in fact be counter productive is if you try to use techniques that you have not mastered yet or are not appropriate for the situation you're in. I have a hard enough time trying to make good contact with a kick pad in the gym doing tornado kicks and spinning hook kicks....these kicks would only serve to put me in bad positions (off balance and with my back to my opponent) on the street. I'm pretty confident though in my round house kicks and side kicks and would definitely use those if the situation called for it. I think a lot comes down to knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

OK, yeah, I'm quoting myself. I just wanted to add that this is not unique to TKD. I imagine there are a lot of guys that take 6 months of BJJ classes and think they'll just pull guard and slap a triangle on somebody only to find out it's not always that easy on the street and if your first submission attempt fails you're just left with a pissed off bad guy on top of you.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:rofl: I just found this funny. Who brought this backup in the first place? Someone had to do some deep digging to revive this thread.

I think the question occurs to many students, so it's probably better for the forum to have it resurrected than annoyingly cloned over and over. I wonder how many times the same thing has been asked and answered in other ways. I too wonder what happened to the OP...hope he found what he wanted.

Mannyjv

White Belt
Reaction score
Anderson Silva(UFC) is a practitioner of Tae Kwon Do and he has some of the best kicks MMA has ever seen. Kickboxing is a brutal sport and one of its predecessors is Tae Kwon Do. If you are good enough you can make any martial art work for you and in my opinion if you are good enough to make even the flashiest and corniest martial arts work than you will be better off than someone who is not that great at the simplest and most effective martial arts.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anderson Silva(UFC) is a practitioner of Tae Kwon Do and he has some of the best kicks MMA has ever seen. Kickboxing is a brutal sport and one of its predecessors is Tae Kwon Do. If you are good enough you can make any martial art work for you and in my opinion if you are good enough to make even the flashiest and corniest martial arts work than you will be better off than someone who is not that great at the simplest and most effective martial arts.

Semper Fi ... from the son of an X Marine...and the Black Sheep of the Family...I joined the Army!!!!!

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If your school is sport oriented and you are looking for something a little more street oriented then you might need to pass on the current school you are attending but I would like to think that TKD is as effective as most other systems; if taught to be flexible enough to adapt to the environment.

Latest Discussions