Is something happening in UK tkd

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
HI there

Over the last few months I have seen posts from high ranking tkd masters sayin that they are switching organisations.

The public nature of their shift made me think that maybe there is something happening.

Also there seems to be a new organisation in the UK taekwondo limited. From what I can glean from various websites taekwondo limited is a collaboration between ITF and WTF schools.

Does anyone who is willing to share, have information on this?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have any information on this and haven't heard any rumours/news about it. Who are the high ranking masters that have posted saying they're switching? (as they've posted it publicly, it should be no problem giving their names). That may help me track down more information.

OP
Finlay

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
The master in question are

Grandmaster Sheena Sutherland
Master Micheal Thompson

Both have shifted from ITF Vienna to ITF NK.
Maybe more have gone with them

Maybe nothing, just curious

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh I thought it was a mix of ITF masters and WTF masters; I don't know anyone on the ITF side of the fence. Sorry, can't help.

OP
Finlay

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah yes I did mention that in my original post.

I believe there is a new organisation called "taekwondo limited" which seems to be a collaboration of itf and wtf styles.

OP
Finlay

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
That can't be British though can it?

I may be using old terms but when the ITF split it became 3 factions

ITF Canada, headed by GM Jung Hwa Choi
ITF Vienna, headed by GM Tran
ITF North Korea, headed by GM Chang Ung

The names were based on where the HQ of each organisation was. I am not sure if they were ever official or just a way for people to tell them apart.

On checking, things have changed and makes things more confusing

GM Choi ITF is based in England

Chang Ung ITF is based in Vienna and I believe Chang Ung is not the President any longer

GM Tran ITF is based in Spain and headed by GM Trajenburg (apologies for the spelling if incorrect)

I may have got it wrong but this is how I think it pans out. Taken from what I know and updated through wiki

Sabreturbo

White Belt
Reaction score
I might be able to offer up a bit of info in this...

GM Sutherland was long overdue for promotion to 9th degree, however due to "politics" she had been ignored by the ITF (Trajenberg) and her promotion put off for years. I believe she would have been the first female 9th degree in the ITF had this not happened.

This led to GM Serif of USTF granting her promotion to 9th degree. GM Serif was one of the few promoted by Gen. Choi to 9th degree.

ITF Spain refused to acknowledge this as it came from a different organisation but mainly due to the previously mentioned "politics".

Rather than stay as 8th degree, GM Sutherland accepted the promotion and then resigned from the ITF Spain , joining ITF NK as one of its few Grand Masters.

Latest Discussions