Is My Style the Best?

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One issue with trying to generalize this idea is that there's a lot of variation within an art. Some folks define an art as what they learned in that art. Some folks will accept anything into an art that they like. (And many variations between those.) If I only ever experienced NGA, and defined it as the 50 Classical Techniques and a few support techniques (plus strikes), as some do, then I'd be talking about a very different art than the NGA I teach. My NGA isn't the same as my instructor's, so my students' view of the art will be different than his. That begs the question of whether we're both teaching NGA. Or am I teaching NGA plus some add-ons?

That all depends upon your view. I think a lot of folks go cross-training to fill gaps in their toolset, regardless of how they view their primary art. In cross-training there are two viewpoints I've seen folks take: 1) they will add a second art (start with Judo, now add Karate - they now practice Judo and Karate), or 2) they study different arts and integrate into their "primary" art (start with Judo, now explore Karate and BJJ and maybe some FMA, and integrate some key pieces that fit well with their Judo - they now have something they still call "Judo", which has more tools in it than what they originally learned). They're both doing much the same thing, but in one case they see it as adding an art, while the other is just expanding what they do within their art.
And I think you ought to get your answers from the best sources you can.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you are wrong, you are applying a term to a situation improperly and I have told you and steve this before but you both continue to harass me on this issue, (might want to familiarize yourself with TOS 9.5) and taking a word and giving it your own definition does not make it right. And continually telling someone they passive aggressive, when by the excepted definition they are not is not taking a pot shot at a person in your opinion then... also the simplified version...interesting..... what is even more interesting is your simplified version adds words and makes assumptions that you have no proof for to back up you already flawed argument as to what passive aggressive actually means.

Also, you may not be aware of web etiquette but the use of color, particularly red can be seen as yelling much like the use of bold. Also based on your above response I feel you have a issue with truth in posting as well... And you may not have noticed, or hoped that I didn't notice, but it really does not matter what I say, you will either tell me I am passive aggressive or you will tell me I'm mean. So no matter how I respond you will take a contrary position. That is unless I agreed with you 100% which will not happen since in most cases I do believe you are just plain incorrect and acting in a particular way to produce the response you desire to fulfill your need to argue incessantly.

I frankly do not understand you need to argue when discussion is so much more productive..... now you apparently want an argument...aha you want room 12A, next door.

Now I am through allowing you to waste my time, and that is exactly what you want to do...so..bye

You are not making an argument based on any actual argument. That is the issue. It is always a whiney complaint about a poster.

I looked up rule 9.5. Speaking of harrasment.

images

All I am doing is correcting your mistaken idea of what passive agressive is.

And now to correct your point about red being yelling.
Large, Red and Bold: Is This Shouting Too? - Net M@nners

It is if there is no other point to the color.

Understand?

That would be internet yelling.

But if there is a pont in context. Like to get 2 sides of a conversation more visable. Then that was obviously the point of the colour change.

I dont want an argument. For arguments sake. You are incorrect and I am pointing that out.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope. See, you missed it again.

It wasn't impractical for my sifu. He knocked out a Muay Thai guy in a competition.

You are jumping from generalizations to specifics in a way that borders on disingenuous. So this only applies to WC, or all styles? First you seemed to be saying all styles, now it's just WC?

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are jumping from generalizations to specifics in a way that borders on disingenuous. So this only applies to WC, or all styles? First you seemed to be saying all styles, now it's just WC?
Um no, you may recall that you are the one who talked about wing chun specifically, in reference to your own experience. Have you forgotten this already? So...why exactly, do you object to me sharing an opposite experience that also has to do with wing chun?

Wing Chun happens to be a good example. You had experience with it, so did I, we both had stories to share and compare experiences.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um no, you may recall that you are the one who talked about wing chun specifically, in reference to your own experience. Have you forgotten this already? So...why exactly, do you object to me sharing an opposite experience that also has to do with wing chun?

Wing Chun happens to be a good example. You had experience with it, so did I, we both had stories to share and compare experiences.

Your OP was not style specific. I asked you if it applied to all styles, even the ineffective ones(think chi balls, no touch knock outs, etc) and you said no.

So the question becomes, where do you draw that line, and in sodoing, is your premise self-refuting?

Seems so to me.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your OP was not style specific. I asked you if it applied to all styles, even the ineffective ones(think chi balls, no touch knock outs, etc) and you said no.

So the question becomes, where do you draw that line, and in sodoing, is your premise self-refuting?

Seems so to me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
So you either don't understand what I am saying, or you are unwilling to engage. No slack off my ***.

You: dig deeper into your style and you will find the solution.
Me: every and any style?
You: No, of course not.
Me: so where do you draw the line(if only SOME styles, then your premise has self refuted, as SOME styles WONT have a hidden solution)
You:hahahaha(????)

Ok then. I guess we are done.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you either don't understand what I am saying, or you are unwilling to engage. No slack off my ***.

You: dig deeper into your style and you will find the solution.
Me: every and any style?
You: No, of course not.
Me: so where do you draw the line(if only SOME styles, then your premise has self refuted, as SOME styles WONT have a hidden solution)
You:hahahaha(????)

Ok then. I guess we are done.
Yup, we are. Have a good life and good luck to you.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
No your style is not the best. My style is not the best. There is only one best. Ameridote.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no. Xue-Fu is of course the best, and that is undisputed. I know this because I am the Number 2 Master and Inheritor Of The System, and West Coast Franchise Owner and Sub-Emperor Under The Moon and Baron of All and Duke of Nonsuch. Among other titles, 50% of which were inherited, and 50% granted and 50% seized.

Llap goch and Bezerker Viking arts run a close tie for a distant (distant!!) second place. We give them respect for their embrace of extreme violence. And by "we" I mean both of us.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well no. Xue-Fu is of course the best, and that is undisputed. I know this because I am the Number 2 Master and Inheritor Of The System, and West Coast Franchise Owner and Sub-Emperor Under The Moon and Baron of All and Duke of Nonsuch. Among other titles, 50% of which were inherited, and 50% granted and 50% seized.

Llap goch and Bezerker Viking arts run a close tie for a distant (distant!!) second place. We give them respect for their embrace of extreme violence. And by "we" I mean both of us.

Yes, yes it is...and you passed your test...you are now the Vice-Emperor Under The Moon and Baron of All and Duke of Nonsuch and other stuff

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, yes it is...and you passed your test...you are now the Vice-Emperor Under The Moon and Baron of All and Duke of Nonsuch and other stuff
I wanna be Guardian of the Waste. Has the paperwork cleared yet? The charges on my credit card have already shown up. I can't adjust my fees until I get the certificate up on the wall and, ya know, baby needs a new pair of shoes and all...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wanna be Guardian of the Waste. Has the paperwork cleared yet? The charges on my credit card have already shown up. I can't adjust my fees until I get the certificate up on the wall and, ya know, baby needs a new pair of shoes and all...

Well.....OK I was going to surprise you at Christmas... but understand...with that comes the added responsibility Omnipotent ruler level

So..without further adieu

West Coast Omnipotent ruler, Emperor Under The Moon, Baron of All, Duke of Nonsuch and Guardian of the Wastes.....

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well.....OK I was going to surprise you at Christmas... but understand...with that comes the added responsibility Omnipotent ruler level

So..without further adieu

West Coast Omnipotent ruler, Emperor Under The Moon, Baron of All, Duke of Nonsuch and Guardian of the Wastes.....
No no, it's just Guardian of the Waste, not Wastes.

Better get to the printers pffice...

Latest Discussions