Is Modern Martial Arts Losing It's Discipline in Order to Attract Customers

Is Modern Martial Arts Losing it's discipline?

• Yes

• No

• Don't see a problem

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by tigerstorm

Sounds dumb but I guess weve got a long way to go.

That we do. Before we even start travelling down that road,
we need to find a viable solution.

OP
T

tigerstorm

Ok short and sweet the solution lies in the only thing that we can directly effect and that is ourselves, or as I said earlier the instructors. As Instructors we are the ones who the children will follow or listen to to some extent all we can do is enforce good upstanding rules about this kind of thing and hope that as there children follow the parents will have no use in yelling an screaming if there child is ok with an end result.
Tigerstorm

OP
S

stal0225

for all the responses guys. This has been quite interesting to say the least.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Iv'e disqualified students for not having their unauthorized parents or instructors in the ring.

People know I'll do it again. I then earned their respect and following from parents and instructors so they all help in any way they can.

They all cheer when someone is removed that shouldn't be there.

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

They all cheer when someone is removed that shouldn't be there.

I know I would've too!

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
....have to let an instructor do their job.
And it is the kind of job that takes time.
There are no instant quick fixes.
It is these quick fix schools that I see as the real problem.
And really,there are more schools now then ever, right?
I am sure there have always been schools out there that most would consider to be lacking is discipline, and others that are too strict. Because there are more of them now, and now more young children than ever, so our perspective has to grown too.
Man, a lot of the 'old time' schools never had children, and some of the ones they did train, really just beat out the weaker students.
If we are going to be so negative, we must also realize our roots are not squeaky clean, and there have been tremendous improvements as well.

OP
T

tunetigress

Originally posted by Roland

Man, a lot of the 'old time' schools never had children, and some of the ones they did train, really just beat out the weaker students.
If we are going to be so negative, we must also realize our roots are not squeaky clean, and there have been tremendous improvements as well.

Roland you have made an excellent point here. I would like to add that teaching children is NOT the same as teaching 'small adults'. They do not respond to threats, intimidation, or violence in the same manner as adults do. After a couple of decades spent teaching adults and kids of all ages in the 'education' field, I can honestly say that it takes a truly caring, patient and aware person to work with groups of children and actually manage to 'teach' them something. The roots of 'Public Education' are not squeaky-clean either. After decades of research and program development, the public perception of the teaching profession is still far from positive. Parents still blame the school system for the problems their children are having. I can't see the Martial Arts faring any differently. I think it is up to us as individuals to do whatever we can do to aid in the development of our youth, and if it takes explaining to an 'angry' parent why little Johnny had to do 50 push-ups, perhaps a parent can also be educated about manners and respect along the way as well.