Is Mixed Martial Arts taking over Boxing?

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Boxing has been established for a long time, and the money involved is massive.

It will be a long time before we see it coming anywhere close, I think this in part is the producers involved in MMA have come in at a time when the economy isn't great, in addition to the reputation associated with MMA.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A cage is safer. You can't fall out of the ring.

A cage is safer than a pit with 45 degree walls......

tenor.gif

How do you fall out of a pit?

:D

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A cage is safer than a pit with 45 degree walls......

tenor.gif

How do you fall out of a pit?

:D

Joking aside...when the pit is only waist-high to begin with, and its walls are slanted at a 45-degree angle allowing people to go up the walls as part of their maneuvering, and the rules allow people to run up or along those ramps, it's not exactly an impossible result. What happens when someone takes a solid hit while halfway up one of those ramps? They're going to go right out of that ring.

The modern MMA "cage" is rubberized chain-link, not a solid metal cage like Thunderdome. It has a lot of give to it while still preventing people from exiting the ring (a real risk with a boxing-style roped ring). People are pinned up against it all the time without sustaining injury. I don't like certain camera-obstructing and atmosphere-related aspects of it, but I don't think there's anything unsafe about it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joking aside...when the pit is only waist-high to begin with, and its walls are slanted at a 45-degree angle allowing people to go up the walls as part of their maneuvering, and the rules allow people to run up or along those ramps, it's not exactly an impossible result. What happens when someone takes a solid hit while halfway up one of those ramps? They're going to go right out of that ring.

Ok.

I think the wall is 6-7 feet it’s just angled though so it shouldn’t be that big of a problem.

And even so if they go outside the pit they simply are just on the floor beside the pit....how is that more dangerous than on the floor inside the pit? You stop them and have them resume down in the pit.

I like the pit. It would fix the problem of fighters grabbing the cage and might create new or more transitions in grappling.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok.

I think the wall is 6-7 feet it’s just angled though so it shouldn’t be that big of a problem.

And even so if they go outside the pit they simply are just on the floor beside the pit....how is that more dangerous than on the floor inside the pit? You stop them and have them resume down in the pit.

I like the pit. It would fix the problem of fighters grabbing the cage and might create new or more transitions in grappling.

The wall isn't six or seven feet high. It's about as high as the fighters' center of mass.

If someone goes out of the ring, they fall into the faces of the audience, who are sitting just inches beyond. Because the "pit" isn't actually cut into the floor. Instead, the walls are a (rather low) raised barrier between the ring and the audience.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The wall isn't six or seven feet high. It's about as high as the fighters' center of mass.

If someone goes out of the ring, they fall into the faces of the audience, who are sitting just inches beyond. Because the "pit" isn't actually cut into the floor. Instead, the walls are a (rather low) raised barrier between the ring and the audience.

Went back and looked. The wall is around 6 foot but angled roughly 60% making it around 5 foot tall with decking around it wide enough to walk and stand on.

I don’t think it would be an issue of fighter s going over it.

Anyways...we are creating a new org so we can build it how we want and sink it into the floor.

Latest Discussions