Is Japanese communication predominately visual?

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to apologize for getting off track. To correct that error, I do feel the Japanese have their own type of visual communication both universal, i.e. modern marketing, and that is unique (I say that loosely) to them influenced greatly by the samurai period. I am wondering if there are studies or books on this subject because it would be very helpful and useful to many of us in Japanese martial art.

grand dee

White Belt
Reaction score
First things first, welcome.

Second, never take what they do in any MA movie as the way things are done. The last Samurai wasn’t half bad from a JSA perspective, but it is first and foremost just a movie.

Third. There are no left handed swordsmen. Hence if you are carrying your sword in your right hand you cannot draw and cut anyone. During the opening bow, the sword is transferred to the right hand, a non-aggressive position. Also when you are in seiza, listening to sensei, or bowing to your dojo mates, the sword is placed to the right of the body, again a non-aggressive position.

Why do you ask?
Well i is strange that the art has a left handed form and if there wasnt a need then why create a defense for left hand attack

grand dee

White Belt
Reaction score
First things first, welcome.

Second, never take what they do in any MA movie as the way things are done. The last Samurai wasn’t half bad from a JSA perspective, but it is first and foremost just a movie.

Third. There are no left handed swordsmen. Hence if you are carrying your sword in your right hand you cannot draw and cut anyone. During the opening bow, the sword is transferred to the right hand, a non-aggressive position. Also when you are in seiza, listening to sensei, or bowing to your dojo mates, the sword is placed to the right of the body, again a non-aggressive position.

Why do you ask?
Well can anyone tell me why there are forms using both hands if there is only right hand sword fighting, learning both hands can better your fighting as well as your swordmanship

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude, this thread is 5 years old.
In all the iai kata that I know, or have seen, I have never seen the sword drawn or cut, using the left hand. If someone knows of one, wonderful.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dude, this thread is 5 years old.
In all the iai kata that I know, or have seen, I have never seen the sword drawn or cut, using the left hand. If someone knows of one, wonderful.
Ken Morgan, no disrespect but it says that grand dee joined yesterday so i ask if the moderators didnt want people to reply to this "5 year old" thread then why is it still on here? personally im glad grand dee replied to this "5 year old" thread otherwise i would not have been reading it and learned anything from it.

and thanks to Chris Parker for that info.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well i is strange that the art has a left handed form and if there wasnt a need then why create a defense for left hand attack
Well can anyone tell me why there are forms using both hands if there is only right hand sword fighting, learning both hands can better your fighting as well as your swordmanship
Your second post there made a little more sense than the first one, but it only has your opinions without any facts. Facts can be examined, but opinions can only be argued.
Please give us some facts to examine such as ... Just what art are you talking about that has "forms using both hands" and "a left handed form" and "a defense for left hand attack".

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's pretty cool but is just their trick for that situation, hardly what I'd call "left handed swordsmanship". Most koryu have a trick that is taught for when your sword is on the floor at your side like that. Mugai ryu uses a reverse hand draw for that rather than a left hand draw. Suio ryu has a lot of interesting stuff in it from what I've seen.

It still doesn't change the fact that the questions posted in response to the old thread made no sense and require clarification.

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jameswhelan, that was awesome.
Most welcome. Niina Toyoaki, a Mugai ryu master, created a style of left-handed kodachi batto called Gyokushin Shinto ryu. Very nice man and interesting concepts.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most welcome. Niina Toyoaki, a Mugai ryu master, created a style of left-handed kodachi batto called Gyokushin Shinto ryu. Very nice man and interesting concepts.
But you forgot to mention that Niina Gosoke originally created this style specifically so a young lady who was missing her right hand could practice a sword art, since there are no traditional left handed Japanese sword arts. :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've made up my own kata, anyone who practices iaido can make up kata, it's not difficult to do.
Sorry, what's was the original question here?

Latest Discussions