Is it OK to tase a 9 yr. old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
1. If I at 16 and female (105 pounds sopping wet) could restrain my deranged mother, aged 54 (215 pounds) at the time, I have little doubt an adult female LEO would have much trouble using her.... *ahem* inferior biological structure :ticked: to contain and control this 75 year old woman without the use of taser. I agree with Dan - backup was a viable alternative.

2. What about words??? Has the art of persuasive communication died such a horrible death amongst trigger-happy LEOs? I thought I left that behind when I left L.A. but it seems it is a supported and unfortunately growing social phenomenon.

3. I have several swords and an Irish temper. One of the five rules of conduct in my martial art is to never kil without cause. Is that cause up to me to define? Yewbetcha - hence all the other rules and virtues to guide my decision making process.

4. So - someone takes the life of or molests my daughter. Shall I behead the villain? Cut off his hands and pecker? Don't I have cause?

5. Just because you CAN do something isn't enough reason TO do it. This is just plain common sense.

6. Now - PLEASE do not continue to insult the LEO you are defending, the women on this board, and women all around the world who have successfully fought for themselves by engaging your sexist comments further.

SS
1. Never said 'inferior' simply working from the biological fact that women do not develop the same muscle/power strength muscle density in the upper body that a man of equal wt. would have. How is that sexist? The POINT of the comparison was to indicate that in order to successfully control someone when A) you are minimally trained B)Trying not to injure the person in the process of controlling them C)Taking into consideration the person's (granny) mental state (GAB mentioned on drugs/what if she was between doses was out of it?) and willingness to do harm to themselves/others. It may have started as a simple "I don't want to go" but in the desparation had the potential to escalate to lethal force from Granny because she MAY (remember we are all spitballing here) not have cared so much about what it takes to 'not go.'

I think you may also be making assumptions that your one time example of controlling granny at 16 doesn't take into account the 'power of perception' (nor does it let you see how you are being extremely defensive about sexism) and how a person's perception of fear/removal can reduce inhibitions about how hard and what type of combativeness she will use to get her way. I have trained home health care aides who deal with 'granny types' and have had their thumb bent back/broken by 'granny' because she did not have the inhibition control that she needed nor the respect for others anymore. Remember that senior homes are not just sweet places that cognizent people are sent to, they are 'assisted living' developments for a reason.

2. Her department says she was in the good. Her incident report, witness, and any other investigation information all corroberated for her BOSS to say that she was within departmental procedures - that would mean that she applied her continuum. Most force continuums begin/have some form of communication in them. If you understood use of force and such, that would be common knowledge.

3 & 4. What ever that applies to I don't know what it is considering that Tasers are defined as a LESS THAN TOOL and most departmental policies/training is to minimize the type of use that would cause injury/death.

5. But, if your police officer boss, town/county/fed legal beagles/insurers have outlined a plan/procedure that is intended to balance the safety of the officer AND the welfare of a person who is doing something that requires police to be called.....

6. Not insulting her, nor really defending her, so much as her ALREADY APPROVED procedural application of use of a less than lethal tool for her professionally trained job.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
This thread is closed until I decide to do with the lot of you. At least three of you are guilty of violating the sniping policy, and we have had two complaints of sexism. I will be making my decision tonight.

Seig
MT OPS ADMIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions