Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That does works well, unless you're playing somebody that's really, really good. ... don't run across pro-rated players often so getting it over the net well works. I haven't played in years tho...
were not knee deep in professional ping pongers round here

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, I played 2-3 guys with that kind of skill. I could get maybe, 6-8 pionts on'em. that was it. The more I tried the worse it got. They adapted and got even better. Ping Pong's is great fun, for anybody.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I could hit the ball really hard. I had a decent forehand, and a really good backhand, both with enough top spin to get it by a lot of folks. I was also pretty good at sneaking some back spin in, which would often cause my opponent to hit the ball straight into the net.

My weakness was the serve.

You guys, now I'm thinking I need to get a ping pong table. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really like the game, but I really stink at it. I wish there wasn't a net in the middle, I'd have so much more fun.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To get great at ping pong, you have to train with a spoon like Randy Daytona.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you've just solved my tennis issues.

I used to be both really fast and really quick. Learning to play tennis, or more appropriately trying to learn to play tennis, I could get to any ball anywhere on the court.....and either hit it right into the net or over the ten foot high fence onto the highway.

I played pretty much all sports, or at least tried to. Sports with nets.....man, they messed me up so bad I didn't even like woman with fishnet stockings.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be both really fast and really quick. Learning to play tennis, or more appropriately trying to learn to play tennis, I could get to any ball anywhere on the court.....and either hit it right into the net or over the ten foot high fence onto the highway.

I played pretty much all sports, or at least tried to. Sports with nets.....man, they messed me up so bad I didn't even like woman with fishnet stockings.
Like with many sports, I was good at parts of it and....less good at other parts. I'd get some really nice shots down the line, and the next volley the exact same swing (I swear it felt the same) would send the ball beyond all retrieval. No control, whatsoever. Now that I think about it, my tennis game strongly resembled my golf game.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like with many sports, I was good at parts of it and....less good at other parts. I'd get some really nice shots down the line, and the next volley the exact same swing (I swear it felt the same) would send the ball beyond all retrieval. No control, whatsoever. Now that I think about it, my tennis game strongly resembled my golf game.

I tried golf, and could putt, but I disided without time at the driving range i shouldn't continue. The only other athletics I did before MA, was track. I was on the track team in 3 schools.

Elementary, military school, junior high...8-9th grade was more into MA.....and yearbook photography.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I tried golf, and could putt, but I disided without time at the driving range i shouldn't continue. The only other athletics I did before MA, was track. I was on the track team in 3 schools.

Elementary, military school, junior high...8-9th grade was more into MA.....and yearbook photography.
In HS I was on the wrestling team one year, did Wing Chun for two years. Mostly though, I got into trouble.

You know, interestingly, I had forgotten, but I actually started playing ping pong at night school.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Football, baseball, and boxing in high school....I was a straight up meathead, lol.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah man I love ping pong, or table tennis as we call it here (is it offensive to ping-pongists to call it ping-pong? I wonder!).

Really miss playing it and got quite good at it, and people who think that ping-pong is just an easy version of tennis maaaaaan are they wrong! It's almost a different game entirely in ways but obvious similarities... Such technique and subtlety involved... and I'd be dripping with sweat after a good match! Or maybe I just tried too hard XD (I do remember thoroughly diving alot even when it was totally NOT necessary)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Knuckle push-ups and punching technique makes the difference, and you can change technique and striking type depending on the target.
yep. knuckle pushups help strengthen the wrist, and conditions the knuckles. I like to do mine in the grass so I can punch into the soil. The soil allows my knuckles to stab into the soil. I try to sneak in knuckle conditioning whenever possible.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Finding it strange that so many have played ping pong . I used to play at the Rec centers for bragging rights but that was about the extent of it. Martials and Ping Pong. who would have guessed. Or maybe it's a generational thing?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Golf, HA! I routinely beat my buddies so bad I feel sorry for them. Poor guys shoot in the eighties and I shoot in the high one thirties. Fifty shots more than they ever get to do. They bought me this shirt just last year to honor my skill.

MyGolfShirt.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Football, baseball, and boxing in high school....I was a straight up meathead, lol.

In high school I belonged to every club they had, even the chess club, and I didn't play chess. I missed so many classes I'm surprised they let me get away with it. To me, high school was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

Four years after high school I went back and worked there for several years. it was still fun.

But I'll tell you what's strange, there weren't any wrestling, or boxing teams in any Boston High School back then.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In high school I belonged to every club they had, even the chess club, and I didn't play chess. I missed so many classes I'm surprised they let me get away with it. To me, high school was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

Four years after high school I went back and worked there for several years. it was still fun.

But I'll tell you what's strange, there weren't any wrestling, or boxing teams in any Boston High School back then.
I was in the chess club, but mostly I just skipped class, smoked weed, and argued with friends about deep things. I graduated with my class, but IIRC, my gpa was like 2.1 and that was after two years of night school and summer school. But I was also working 30 hours per week at McDs and making that money!

After I graduated, I worked two full time jobs. One was as a dishwasher at a small restaurant on Bainbridge island with a guy who was the drummer for an unknown garage band called Nirvana. My brush with almost fame!