Is it me or...

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
...Do a lot of Wing Chun people not do so well under pressure? Even from other WC guys.

When watching WC sparring bouts, I notice that nobody ever actually steps in and controls the situation. One person or the other seems to be afraid of getting hit, I've never seen two people actually going at it aggressively.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, this is a can of worms. Despite videos of wc guys sparring with resistance being relatively scarce in comparison to say boxing sparring video, I'm sure plenty of guys will post here to assure us that their gym does it the right way and has the real wing chun. :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Do a lot of Wing Chun people not do so well under pressure? Even from other WC guys.

When watching WC sparring bouts, I notice that nobody ever actually steps in and controls the situation. One person or the other seems to be afraid of getting hit, I've never seen two people actually going at it aggressively.
I believe it is because they don't train under pressure enough and have not accepted that they will get hit.
Goes to show (for the most part) that some don't train realistically enough. They don't pressure test or don't train vs someone aggressively punching/kicking them. Not just at them but really contacting them. Most have never accepted they will get hit/kicked; they have not conditioned themselves physically or mentally through the process of getting hit and therefore don't do well when it happens.

Reactions: KPM

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know, are you talking about on video? If so - think of all the slam bang nights in your gym or anybody's gym. There's usually not any video cameras shooting anything, just guys/gals training.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, what Buka says. Not everyone wants to put their stuff on YouTube. It's generational, it's commercial vs private. This stuff has been going on longer than the selfie or the blog.

Not everyone wants to be seen or call attention to themselves. You've got to seek out what you want, how you want to train and who you want to train with. It might end up being wing chun, it might be something else, but just because you haven't come across it or seen it on youtube doesn't mean it's not there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, what Buka says. Not everyone wants to put their stuff on YouTube. It's generational, it's commercial vs private. This stuff has been going on longer than the selfie or the blog.

Not everyone wants to be seen or call attention to themselves. You've got to seek out what you want, how you want to train and who you want to train with. It might end up being wing chun, it might be something else, but just because you haven't come across it or seen it on youtube doesn't mean it's not there.

A lot of TCMA people don't want to put their stuff on YouTube based on the culture that it comes from.... the nail that sticks up gets pounded down

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can you post a video of what you mean?

kung fu fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score

The simple answer is 99% of wing chun guys have a sparring mentality vs a fighting mentality and this comes out when under pressure. So they lose the wing chun intercepting timing involved when they attempt to apply their wing chun skills and end up looking like sloppy kickboxing due to there sparring mindset.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The simple answer is 99% of wing chun guys have a sparring mentality vs a fighting mentality and this comes out when under pressure. So they lose the wing chun intercepting timing involved when they attempt to apply their wing chun skills and end up looking like sloppy kickboxing due to there sparring mindset.

This is an excellent point.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on sparring vs fighting mentality? In my experience sparring is fighting with a little steam taken off and an emphasis on developing and working technique. Where as in a fight you're testing what you've already developed.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, not certain I know what you mean by this. There are different aspects to sparring so maybe you are referring to just one aspect. We use several different levels based upon the person's skills and abilities but all are with the mindset of intercepting, pressing forward while attacking or countering attacking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on sparring vs fighting mentality? In my experience sparring is fighting with a little steam taken off and an emphasis on developing and working technique. Where as in a fight you're testing what you've already developed.

There is sparring and there is sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok i hunted down a vid of full contact wing chun. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Part of the issue is that very few people do well under pressure and that is why they don't stand in the pocket and trade. I have done it boxing and have got flogged for it. It is one of the riskiest ways to fight.

Wing chun is all pocket. They are trying to get into that punching range and then standing there competing for that center. You need a head like a brick to be able to pull that off against a competent fighter.
Mark hunt would be great at wing chun.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of the issue is that very few people do well under pressure and that is why they don't stand in the pocket and trade. I have done it boxing and have got flogged for it. It is one of the riskiest ways to fight.

Wing chun is all pocket. They are trying to get into that punching range and then standing there competing for that center. You need a head like a brick to be able to pull that off against a competent fighter.
Mark hunt would be great at wing chun.
Yeah that's the problem I see with holding that range. You can enter and attack but if the opponent doesn't fall you've got to get out. You can't enter and hold that distance. In the pocket a guy will get hit, back up, or clinch. If you're mobile and move in and out its one thing but I don't think it's practical to enter to close the gap and plan on holding center line against anyone with experience or any other advantage on you.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

In my experience, sparring is boxing with some steam taken off of it. Fighting is something different.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is this then not an argument against sparring?

Sparring develops a give and take mentality. That is not what we should be developing as WC fighters...or any fighter for that matter.
As for me I want to be very giving...not receiving.

I*s this to say "don't spar"?
No, I think instead spar as you would fight...in bursts. Don't dance around picking shots and moving in and out of range. Once an opening presents itself explode in and continuously attack until the situation is resolved then reset and do it again.

But not always at range...sometimes from up close

Last edited:

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this then not an argument against sparring?

Sparring develops a give and take mentality. That is not what we should be developing as WC fighters...or any fighter for that matter.
As for me I want to be very giving...not receiving.

I*s this to say "don't spar"?
No, I think instead spar as you would fight...in bursts. Don't dance around picking shots and moving in and out of range. Once an opening presents itself explode in and continuously attack until the situation is resolved then reset and do it again.

But not always at range...sometimes from up close
What you're describing is essentially what sparring is in boxing. The only difference is the "dancing around" jabs and feints are used to make the rushing in and unloading more unpredictable. When skill is involved you have to use a little more strategy. Morning in with guns blazing will get you knocked out. Not to mentioned a guy will just cover up and clinch.