Is it common for flexible people later in life to have bad muscle memory from when they weren't?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can maintain it for a while by shadow kicking randomly, but it reaches a point eventually where the leg muscles just aren't there anymore and you either lose power or form or both. Getting back is fast but not fast enough to defend yourself. You don't have kick trials in a self defense situation, were you to ever need it
Honestly, I don't train at this point to defend myself. I believe SD is very much based on mindset, experience, soft skills, and physicality, then gross skills that don't go away behind those, and the technical skills in a distant sixth.

I'm confident in my experience, I've forged the soft skills under fire, and like @jobo said, the gross skills are pretty much there at this point. My side kick might get sloppy but it'll still work, for instance. So the training I do at this point is for enjoyment more than anything else. If my goal was SD, my main focus should be on strength training and sprinting.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't train at this point to defend myself. I believe SD is very much based on mindset, experience, soft skills, and physicality, then gross skills that don't go away behind those, and the technical skills in a distant sixth.

I'm confident in my experience, I've forged the soft skills under fire, and like @jobo said, the gross skills are pretty much there at this point. My side kick might get sloppy but it'll still work, for instance. So the training I do at this point is for enjoyment more than anything else. If my goal was SD, my main focus should be on strength training and sprinting.
Agree. And I would have to add that I always carry, usually open.:)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. And I would have to add that I always carry, usually open.:)
New York makes this more difficult. And I came to the decision that I'll wait until we move out to get my license, since it's a pain from what I can tell in NY, and there's no reciprocity with other states anyway

Latest Discussions