Is it appropriate to create a new martial art?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
So when is His actual date of birth? Day, month and year, please...

Dunno. 12/25 was a Pagan holiday, coopted by the Roman Emperor to patronize the Christians and the Pagans in one stroke of political genius.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I have some religious views that would be considered "freaky" by a lot of people

Which may go a long way toward explaining why everyone hates you... ;) JUST KIDDING!!!

, and I don't want to sound to preachy, but

But you are going to sound preachy anyway, right? ;) JUST KIDDING AGAIN!!!

The weak foundations you speak of supposedly part of God's plan. At first, his presence was well known, and the "rules" to get into heaven weren't the same as they are now. How hard is it to NOT believe in Christ if you're watching him turn water into wine, or feed thousands out of a small number of loaves of bread and fish. Nowadays, we're supposed to get into heaven through faith alone. Faith that Jesus did come, perform said miracles, and died on the cross as a new way to enter into the kingdom of heaven. With pure scientific evidence, it wouldn't be faith that gets ya there. For me, the question is .. WHY must it be faith?

The error with this is that it is faith based. Historical data, scientific data, must be supportable by something other than belief. I can believe all day long that the Middle Ages occurred, but that doesn't tell me when or where... That may be overly simplistic, but the illustration fits.

I'm not debating that Christ did or did not exist. All I am saying is that since nobody really has an accurate date of His birth, to base a calendar on factually inaccurate data is flawed.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
The question is not whether that was the exact year of His birth. It is just that, the year was picked BECAUSE it was associated with HIS birth. The Common Era gig is just an attempt to erase that assoication that has been in place for the last 2003 years.

Actually, it hasn't been in place for 2003 years.

The use of "A.D." didn't come about until the 6th century A.D.
The term "B.C." didn't come into common usage until the end of the 18th century or the early 19th century. So, at most, a few hundred years.

Not trying to bust your chops, but I got curious and looked it up :)

Just an FYI.

Mike

OP
K

Kirk

Which may go a long way toward explaining why everyone hates you... ;) JUST KIDDING!!!

:eek: Aww, hail, that was cold!

But you are going to sound preachy anyway, right? ;) JUST KIDDING AGAIN!!!

Pretty much, yeah LOL

The error with this is that it is faith based. Historical data, scientific data, must be supportable by something other than belief. I can believe all day long that the Middle Ages occurred, but that doesn't tell me when or where... That may be overly simplistic, but the illustration fits.

And I don't disagree. I was just relating 8 years of catholic school
to ya.

Gambarimasu.

Gamblamblasoo to you too! :D

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Glad you saw the humor in there...

When you and I first started interacting, we fought and fought. Now we manage to play nice. Just wanted to poke fun at you, nothing personal...

OP
K

Kirk

Just wanted to poke fun at you, nothing personal...

So long as ya don't wanna poke me :D

Nothin' personal taken. Glad all you're with me on putting that
all behind us.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I have some religious views that would be considered "freaky" by
a lot of people, and I don't want to sound to preachy, but to
reply to your message ....

The weak foundations you speak of supposedly part of God's
plan. At first, his presence was well known, and the "rules" to
get into heaven weren't the same as they are now. How hard
is it to NOT believe in Christ if you're watching him turn water
into wine, or feed thousands out of a small number of loaves of
bread and fish. Nowadays, we're supposed to get into heaven
through faith alone. Faith that Jesus did come, perform said
miracles, and died on the cross as a new way to enter into the
kingdom of heaven. With pure scientific evidence, it wouldn't be
faith that gets ya there. For me, the question is .. WHY must it
be faith?

And the greatest trick, the Devil ever performed, was to convince the world, that he doesn't exist.

--Dave

OP
J

Jason Davis

Joe Hardwick said:
Since this topic has been popping up in some other threads I thought I would start one about this specifically. So here are 3 questions:

1-Is it appropriate to start a new martial art? Please answer with a yes, no or maybe and give reasons why. Also, if you feel that certain parameters must be required then mention them as well.
2-Is it appropriate to make a derivative or variation of an existing martial art such as "Combat TaeKwonDo" (I don't know if this exists or not but is simply an example). Again, please answer with a yes, no or maybe and reasons why.
3-Is it appropriate to start a reality based self-defense system? If you do not believe that they exist and are simply martial arts in another name then please say so, otherwise please answer with yes, no or maybe and of course reasons why.

I would like this to be a thread where you can give your opinion and not a thread where we go after anothers opinion. Obviously, if your opinion disagrees with another it will be known from your answers. Thanks, Joe.
I think that a "new" martial art isn't a new martial art. Just a new system.

OP
B

Black Bear

LOL I love the new avatar! That is freaking awesome!

Okay, so how do you define each: martial art, and system?

OP
J

Jason Davis

Black Bear said:
LOL I love the new avatar! That is freaking awesome!

Okay, so how do you define each: martial art, and system?
Ok well a Martial art is like Combat art right?

Systems are like Karate, kenpo, tae-kwon-do, tiger, crane, snake, mantis you know any name you can put on it.

I guess Martial arts the same way i look at regular art you know if you draw or paint, play music, or even cook it's still called "the arts" and you stil would go to an art school to learn how to do it. the end result in any of these things is to be able to express yourself in whatever way you would like too. their would just be a different department you went to aquire your skill.

Thats kind of like "martial arts" basically you are learning how to fight. So really all of the "martial arts" are doing the same thing "learning how to fight"
we just all go to diferent "departments" or "dojo" or "studio" or where ever to learn right. But the procieved end result is the same right? you learn how to protect yourself and you build your character at the same time.

So, Just like all in other arts how you are trying to express yourself and this gets accomplished with whatever skill you aquire, Any "Style", "system", "martial art" or whatever gets you to the same place people just get their in different way i guess.

so basically i guess what I'm trying to say is that in the last 2,500 years someone has done everything that you are going to try to put in your martial art so really it's not new just put together in a different way. thats why i say all martial arts are just one big martial art with a whole bunch of "departments" and everyone goes to the one they want to learn. I

I think someone else might have said this but, you only have two legs and two arms their is only so much you can do with them.

That is just my opinion though. I'm sure everyone's is different.

oh yeah your avatar is really cool too.

OP
B

Black Bear

Huh. The way you use the terms martial art and system make a whole lot more sense, semantically, than the way a lot of people do.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever someone states "I've created a new martial art", my reactions are as follows:

1. What organization did you get thrown out of?
2. Who is your Instructor and why did he cut you?
3. Did you make it past 3rd Dan in any given style?

I have been involved in Tae Kwon Do for over 20 years. Over the years I gradually will have my own interpretation of TKD technique. But it is just that-interpretation. I have not created by own style or system. It is simply my spin on using Tae Kwon Do technique. I am verrry skeptical whenever someone advertizes a new system, because 99% of the time it is simply a rehash of what already exists. "Combat Hapkido" is not a new style, it is simply "Grandmaster" John Pellegrini's spin on Hapkido. "Combat Tae Kwon Do" is not a new style, it is simply emphasizing the self defense applications of Tae Kwon Do over the sport. Guess what? Some of us already do that.

Latest Discussions