Iron Shirt qi-gong-like training

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will it help for the ring or even the streets? Having the ability to resist and take up more punishment or winning those long wear-n-tear fights,
Medicinal ball drop on the stomac area,or even small high number/rate contact area hits like chops, tiger palm strikes, applied on abdominal and arms legs.
TL DR: workout or masochism?

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am not sure you understand what Qi- gong consists of.
i think your going to get both yes and no answers, depending on the definition people apply to Qi- gong iron shirt training.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
for what i do, my iron shirt training , the answer would be yes. but others will have different training ideas and thus different answers.

oh ...and you need to know what you are doing,, thus a teacher.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about "iron shirt" or "golden bell" other than the basic premise of the dynamic tension and breathing aspect.

I think that "iron body" training with incorporating striking is a key component to any martial arts training. Medicine ball training is the same basic idea as this and I have seen many boxers having their partners gloving up and punching to their abdomen etc. to work on taking body punches.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look a lot of people condition to one degree or another. It is a pretty accepted method.

I do it. Which pretty much consists of I stand there they hit me.

I don't really think there is a trick to it to be honest.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Will it help for the ring or even the streets? Having the ability to resist and take up more punishment or winning those long wear-n-tear fights,
Medicinal ball drop on the stomac area,or even small high number/rate contact area hits like chops, tiger palm strikes, applied on abdominal and arms legs.
TL DR: workout or masochism?

I studied Uechi-Ryu karate, it placed heavy emphasis on striking the body and limbs to condition them to take punishment. We would condition arms, legs, abdomen, chest and certain back areas. It was a gradual process and we increased power as we advanced in training. It's great for the body and can be beneficial in fighting/sparring. Just be sure to train with those that know what they're doing

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I studied Uechi-Ryu karate, it placed heavy emphasis on striking the body and limbs to condition them to take punishment. We would condition arms, legs, abdomen, chest and certain back areas. It was a gradual process and we increased power as we advanced in training. It's great for the body and can be beneficial in fighting/sparring. Just be sure to train with those that know what they're doing
what branch of Uechi did you belong too. i am in MA. so i worked with a lot of George Mattson's group.

chen yaolong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Definitely beneficial, on both a physical and psychological level.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knowing how to take a gut shot is pretty important if you don't like being doubled over and gasping for breath. But I don't know that the training is that complicated. Tense up and breath out. Practice by taking shots in the body with gloves on.Done and done.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score

I think I saw that in one of Jesse Enkamps Okinawa videos - would they strike various different parts as you did Sanchin Kata?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I saw that in one of Jesse Enkamps Okinawa videos - would they strike various different parts as you did Sanchin Kata?

Yes, being struck as you are doing Sanchin was one of the conditioning methods we used. We also did Kote kitae, which is only conditioning. Check out the video, this is similar to what we did. It's interesting what you can condition the human body to take.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
cool - I can't watch the video now - I will check it when I get home

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what branch of Uechi did you belong too. i am in MA. so i worked with a lot of George Mattson's group.

I'm sure we know some of the same folks, probably already talked about it but I don't remember squat any more.

George Mattson's Dojo was the first Dojo I ever set foot in, back in the sixties. Just a shy kid wanting to watch from the corner. That's all it took, I was hooked. Never trained there, just watched. Trained with some of those guys since then, a lot of times over the decades, as recently as a few years ago.

Good times.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure we know some of the same folks, probably already talked about it but I don't remember squat any more.

George Mattson's Dojo was the first Dojo I ever set foot in, back in the sixties. Just a shy kid wanting to watch from the corner. That's all it took, I was hooked. Never trained there, just watched. Trained with some of those guys since then, a lot of times over the decades, as recently as a few years ago.

Good times.
yeah we have talked about it some. i know or have worked with just about everyone in Georges group. i belonged to Buzz Durkins association but always had a closer relationship to the guys under George. i consider Maloney a sort of mentor. Buzz is now doing the summer camps. i have a lot of nostalgia for the camps down on cape cod. so many good times so many laughs.
but to the OP post about Iron shirt stuff,,, yeah body conditioning is a great thing to have. its the one thing there is completely no denying. we bang arms together or shins together and i giggle at the grimace of the other guys as they wince in pain. you let people hit and kick you all they want and they give in because it hurt their foot too much. there is absolutely no denying it because you can see your own progress like a wieght lifter sees his muscles growing.