kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see this link doesn't work now. Here's another: Link

Short, sharp and effective. Very good close in work. Something I think people often forget about weapons larger than a knife. Interesting that these techniques were marketed toward women and girls, and yet were used by the various special forces of WWII.

Fairbairn looked like a damned hard man in those photos too.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wanted to *stick* ;) these on here instead of starting a new thread, even though these are obviously Asian-arts oriented (one clip is a modified pinan form). Can really see this working with my 44 inch shillelagh. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Short, sharp and effective. Very good close in work. Something I think people often forget about weapons larger than a knife. Interesting that these techniques were marketed toward women and girls, and yet were used by the various special forces of WWII.

Fairbairn looked like a damned hard man in those photos too.

and for some more WWII "brutal goodness" :D check this page for the Styers method
http://www.gutterfighting.org/coldsteel.html

And for those unfamiliar with who Fairbairn was, here's a short bio.
http://www.gutterfighting.org/WhatIsDefendu.html

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a new website, not a vid, but vids and manuals should be posted soon. Very helpful stuff by a guy of Irish birth but North American experience in controlling/subduing a subject in many public and private arenas. I highly recommend it if you have an interest in Celtic arts, or work in any field where your physical safety may be on the line in the course of your day (example: I'm a *teacher*, but do as much or more crowd control and talking down hotheads than the 3-R's of old :D)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That looks very interesting, KDS - thanks for the link
icon14.gif

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these great links! I think it is fascinating especially as I teach FMA out of a school owned by a group based out of Ireland! *grin*

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these great links! I think it is fascinating especially as I teach FMA out of a school owned by a group based out of Ireland! *grin*
I'd be interested in knowing if you're seeing MAs from the East and West blending. I'm just now discovering some things myself. ;)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
So imagine what it will do to a wrist, forearm, inside of the shin, ankle, elbow, side of the face/head. :D I think of my sticks (and cane) as my *anti-knife.* That 30 inches is a great stress reliever when we don't know what he might have hidden, or even after he pulls a blade (or brass knuckles)--we can reach him, but he can't reach us. :)

if you strike the head or ribs be aware that you may take a life with a cane length stick... but ya a fore arm ( ulna and radius bones ) will brake a lot easier.. so will the humorous, (uper arm bone) and elbow joint.... clavicles, and ribs too.. so be careful where and how you hit.. but a blade comes out.. go for the head and arms and hand and any place else you can nail them ... no quarter asked or given then!!

sickboy

White Belt
Reaction score
I was always quite fond of the way they make them, they cut a good bit of wood out, whittle it down and then coat it in butter/oil and stick it up the chimney to cure/smoke.
Irish regiments in the British Army use them instead of swagger sticks and drill canes.

Latest Discussions